• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Heated Grip Connections? Pics 2007 Breva 1100

SpeedwayRN

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
Confirming these are the connections for the heated grips correct? Anyone know if there is any difference? left vs right? I still have the tank off so I can't test it while its running. I will most likely make extensions and put the tank back on so I can measure the output with the multimeter.
42c27a99.jpg

2605c555.jpg

I asked a similar question a while back on Wild Guzzi and received a couple of good responses that I (think) I copied and pasted into a file document. I'll take a look and if there, I'll copy and paste it here. Pure plagiarism on my part!
UPDATE - according to the info below, you may see no voltage at these plugs, unless they've been toggled by a momentary switch.

Bob

Found it ....... written by "Fred". Maybe this'll give you the info you're after.

I installed hot-grips on my 06 Breva 1100, and I just wanted to let other Breva owners know how easy it is to mate aftermarket grips to the vehicles computer control. The wiring is under the front right part of the tank. You don't need to remove the tank just loosen and lift up the front. You'll see three plugs, two small ones with blue wires and one a little bigger with an orange wire. Wire the grips to the two small plugs, polarity is not important, and a small momentary contact push button to the larger one. Again, polarity doesn't matter. I mounted the button in one of the little round plugs next to the hazard switch. Push and hold to turn on, push to toggle heat settings, and push and hold to turn off. The little icon even comes on the dash and this is one third the price of the oem accessory grips!

The '06 B11 has a heat control switch between the dash and the tank where the '07 B11 doesn't. Since the '07 B11 already has the switch built-in like the Norge then you just need to buy the MG heated grips or aftermarket units and replace the connectors to match the bike.

I asked for and received good info from this forum and WG regarding how to wire aftermarket heated grips and the off/on switch on my 1200 Sport. I'd like to be able to purchase an inexpensive set of heaters that wrap around the bar under the stock grips, and install the mating two-pin plugs on the heater wiring, vs cutting the plugs off the Guzzi wiring harness. I'd probably order heaters from Aerostitch, as I've had good luck with them on the T100. As I recall, the left and right heater plugs are smaller than the single plug where the momentary switch (off/on/heat1/heat2/heat3) is attached.

Anyone know specifically what make and model plugs I'd need to attach to the ends of my heater wires, so I could plug directly into the Guzzi harness without cutting off the plugs on the Guzzi harness? See above pics posted by Speedway RN.

Bob

SpeedwayRN said:
So no need for the momentary switch?
SpeedwayRN, Confirm by checking the MG OE kit or each year Breva. As I recall, the momentary switch ('06) may be another kind of switch - it has a resistor. My only concern with aftermarket grips on the provided wiring is that the current draw may be much greater than the OE units. Don't know it that would be a problem. My Oxfords (wire independently) heat up a lot more than my buddy's OE H-grips.

Bob, The connector looks like Molex -rectagular, I bought them before my local Radio Shack. I found them on-line a Digi-Key but not sure if its the right size, there are 3 sizes for the 2 pin. http://search.digikey.com/sg/en/products/03-06-2023/WM1220-ND/61196 You can also do an image search on Google.

ohiorider said:
I asked for and received good info from this forum and WG regarding how to wire aftermarket heated grips and the off/on switch on my 1200 Sport. I'd like to be able to purchase an inexpensive set of heaters that wrap around the bar under the stock grips, and install the mating two-pin plugs on the heater wiring, vs cutting the plugs off the Guzzi wiring harness. I'd probably order heaters from Aerostitch, as I've had good luck with them on the T100. As I recall, the left and right heater plugs are smaller than the single plug where the momentary switch (off/on/heat1/heat2/heat3) is attached.

Anyone know specifically what make and model plugs I'd need to attach to the ends of my heater wires, so I could plug directly into the Guzzi harness without cutting off the plugs on the Guzzi harness? See above pics posted by Speedway RN.

Bob
I have always used symtec on all my bikes at $40 they work well.
I just cut the connectors off. Not willing to spend the time or money trying to find them. It wont make any difference in how any heated grips will work and its not like I'll be connecting them and disconnecting them all the time ... If ever. I'll post here how this all turns out. Right now I am recovering from an eye infection.

Thanks. I may end up doing the same thing, if the 2 pin plugs aren't easy to locate. In the meantime, get well!

Bob

Before I put the tank back on I cut the connectors off and used butt connectors to make extensions for these wires. I spoke with the tech team at symtec and they said to only use the white and red wires. Do not use the blue wire or wire it together with the white wire. The grip warmers have two seperate circuits one high and one low. Use only the high, the white wire. Polarity does not matter.
Today I got the bike running and indeed the high, medium, and low settings are just a variation of voltage output. Thus you only need the high circuit of grip warmers. Also there is no variation to left vs right output on the bike. Symtec does vary the output of heat via the size of the circuit on the grip warmer itself as one makes direct contact with the bar and the other goes around the throttle tube. I will insulate the left bar with a high temp rubber tape before applying the grip warmer to the bar. Symtec says this is not needed but this is what I have done on all my bikes. :whistle:

The '06 B11 has a heat control switch between the dash and the tank where the '07 B11 doesn't. Since the '07 B11 already has the switch built-in like the Norge then you just need to buy the MG heated grips or aftermarket units and replace the connectors to match the bike.

This is a bit old, but i need help about connecting aftermarket units to the pre-installed plugs on a 2009 Norge. The questions are: Do all aftermarket kits match the voltage on the original one? Can they be connected the original connector without any further changes?
Sorry if I'm saying something stupid, but I'm not an expert on electrical issues (not even close to that :p ).

This is a bit old, but i need help about connecting aftermarket units to the pre-installed plugs on a 2009 Norge. The questions are: Do all aftermarket kits match the voltage on the original one? Can they be connected the original connector without any further changes?
Sorry if I'm saying something stupid, but I'm not an expert on electrical issues (not even close to that :p ).

It's not the voltage you should be concerned with, but the current the intended grips might draw. The grips are supplied current from the instrument panel, and any current load greater than the stock ones might cause damage to the panel, an expensive item to replace.

I measured the cold resistance of the stock items as 14 ohms which should produce a initial current of just under one amp each. You can compare these figures with the heated grips you are contemplating , and consider whether they are going to demand a greater current drain.

Note that the current will always be higher at switch on, when the heaters are cold. As they warm up their resistance increases and therefore the current demand diminishes. Operating the heated grips on a low setting when first turned on may reduce the high initial currents at switch on. Then you could turn the grips to a higher setting after a few minutes.

It's not the voltage you should be concerned with, but the current the intended grips might draw. The grips are supplied current from the instrument panel, and any current load greater than the stock ones might cause damage to the panel, an expensive item to replace.

I measured the cold resistance of the stock items as 14 ohms which should produce a initial current of just under one amp each. You can compare these figures with the heated grips you are contemplating , and consider whether they are going to demand a greater current drain.

Note that the current will always be higher at switch on, when the heaters are cold. As they warm up their resistance increases and therefore the current demand diminishes. Operating the heated grips on a low setting when first turned on may reduce the high initial currents at switch on. Then you could turn the grips to a higher setting after a few minutes.

The heated grips I'd like to install are the oxford hot grips. I can't find many technical sources about the grips, so I'm not sure they are safe to install :( . According to this source, they say "Each grip requires 2.1 amps or 28 to 30 Watts, so practically speaking the total draw should be around 60 Watts.". So, according to this conversion site, each grip consumes about 6,80272109 ohms. So this should be perfectly safe, right? :nerd:

Errr, no the resistance of the each Oxford grip is about 7 ohms. 68 billion ohms would be considered an insulator.

This is about twice the current of the stock grips, it's your call to think the dashboard will be happy with this. I believe others have used them without issues, but personally I'd use the Oxford control or buy the Moto Guzzi ones. Just my $0.02¢.

Alex , you are using a comma (,) and not a dot (.) to measure you ohms value, it should read 6.80272109 ohms. Ohms law states if you halve the resistance , you double the current. ie Amps =Volts/resistance and 6.8 is almost half of 14. Technically it is not a lower voltage that alters the heat of the grips but the average voltage, at high, full battery volts is applied, at medium they are pulsed 50% on and 50%off, at low it is pulsed 25%on and 75%off or there abouts.

Alex , you are using a comma (,) and not a dot (.) to measure you ohms value, it should read 6.80272109 ohms.
Well, we don't all live in islands :D
"The 10th resolution of CGPM in 2003 declared that "the symbol for the decimal marker shall be either the point on the line or the comma on the line." In practice, the decimal point is used in English-speaking countries and most of Asia, and the comma in most of Latin America and in continental European languages" :nerd:

I believe others have used them without issues, but personally I'd use the Oxford control or buy the Moto Guzzi ones. Just my $0.02¢.
I think I'll stick with this solution. Thank you all :rock:

Alex,
I did heated grips on my 07 breva. I also contemplated using the stock wiring but decided that current draw was too much of a concern for me. I used the wiring kit that came with the grips and ran the wires under the tank to the neck to connect the grips.

The hard part for me was getting the aftermarket heated throttle grip to fit over the throttle tube. The throttle tube has plastic bits that hold the stock rubber in place. I had to grind them off to get the new grip to fit...

It was not fun.

but the end result is warm hands on a cold day!

good luck and post your results

Back