• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Gear indicator for the Guzzi Stelvio

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
Guys, I have three of these on the shelf, and Giulio has given me the green light to put them on closeout for $60 off! Grab them while they last here; https://gtmotocycles.com/products/gg-periscope

Hello,

after one year of testing and experimenting my multifunction gear indicator for the Stelvio is ready.
It uses an integrated chip (made in USA) to talk with the motorcycle ECU, as well as a microcomputer to drive the display and collect data.

It shows:

- current gear engaged
- engine (oil) temperature
- RPM
- current speed as digits and with colored bands
- gear usage statistics
- Kmh / Mph converter

Also it has quite powerful spot led that can be turned on by simply keeping the clutch lever pulled.

A lot of work but I'm satisified.
Ok, it has not a cool/fashion style like my iPhone... but it works damn good in my opinion. :cool:
I've got inspired by the rude instruments used in the offroad/rally world.

What you think about it? :mask:

Looks good!
Obviously a lot of thought and work gone into it.

Wouldn't want one personally (my Stelvio has a Speedo, Tacho, and Oil Temp Gauge) but I bet there are many that will.
I'm guessing if you could adapt it for GS1200s, you'd sell a warehouse-full :D

Thanks John.
I like it because the device is mounted close to the line of sight. This means that I have increased my safety during driving:

1. I have not to move the head and eyes down to the dashboard (eyes/brain needs almost two seconds to focus the view on a different target)
2. I don't need to read the speed, I just look at colored bands. (Again, the human brain needs a fraction of second to convert the image of a digit into his meaning)
3. On a winding road, knowing what gear is currently engaged increases my awareness, and avoid to change gear in the middle of a curve (this can make your tyre slipping).

Here, where I live, the speed limits are everywhere, this was making me stressed. Using the indicator I feel much much more comfy! But this is just my personal opinion.

Selling it to the bimmers? Mmmmmmh... I would avoid if I can. Because, for the first time, a Stelvio could have something that a GS cannot offer! Hihihihihihii... :D

Guzzi forever!!! :cool:

. . . a Stelvio could have something that a GS cannot offer . . .
What about Soul, passion, involvement, Italian style and flair, and not looking like a reject from a Transformers Film set?
That's more than enough for me! ;)

how difficult would it be to install?
No drills, no cuts, no welding, no special tools.
Just plug it to the OBD and headlamp connectors.

If you don't have "small" hands (like woman does) the most "difficult" part is could be to route the OBD cable to the plug under the seat through the fairing.
Usually I mount it in 15 minutes... :cool:

Here some photos of one of the first prototypes (sorry for the poor quality).

With Spot light on:

Hardly noticeable behind the wind screen:

Last edited:
Probably yes, with 99,99% of the probabilities. Since they mount the same ECU there should be no problem. But, honestly, I didn't make any test.
The most challenging part is to find a suitable power connector in the original wiring, as well as to design a specific bracket.

The style of the griso is unique so one should also take care of it. The shape of the gear indicator is quite rude, on the Griso would looks not so good. Maybe with a chromed suncover... mmmmh...

Your obviously a man with good taste, your concern of it looking "right" on the Griso is also a concern of mine but it sure would be nice to have a gear indicator. My cali and F800 have me spoiled.

Most probably I will work on the Norge 1200 and Griso 850-1100 at the end of the summer. I'm full of work and zero free time :cry:

Hi gimpo, I´m driving a Stelvio 2015 also.
So i`m heighly interested in your gismo.
Let me know under wish conditions.
Maybe its possible to geht just the inner parts so I can do my own housing.
p.s. I´m from Alpen, Germany
Pleas let me know thanls, perfekt work !!!

Hi Zerkaulen,
the inner part of the display is flooded with a special resin to protect it from water, dust and vibrations. Also, the resin offer a solid protection against direct hits and increases general robustness.

Last but not last, the plexiglass window is made in England with a special anti-reflex treatment. Otherwise you will see absolutely nothing in a strong sunny day!!!!

Are you still sure that you want just the inner electronics? I don't recommend it... but if you really want...

Understand, than the compet unit. How is the size of the unit?
Electrical characteristics
Processor: ATMEL mega328 8Mhz
OBD decoder: Fully ISO-14230 (KWP-2000) protocol compatible
Supply voltage: 12 V
Current consumption: Nominal: 85 mA - Maximum: 110mA (with LED light on)

Protection
Shortcut: 1A glass cartridge fuse (5x20mm, 250V AC)
Load dump: embedded
Voltage spike: embedded
Operating temperature: [-20°, +75°] Celsius degrees

Physical characteristics
Weight: 374 g (all included: screws, washers, cables, bracket, etc.)
Cables length/Power cables: 40 cm ca
OBD connector cable: 160 cm ca.
From the decoder unit to computer/display unit: 60 cm ca.

Dimensions
Decoder unit: 54 x 74 x 28 mm
Computer/display unit: 42 x 52 x 72 mm (suncover included)
Miscellaneous: Waterproof IP65 - Dustproof

Back