• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New owner - Engine oil questions

v7flier

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Famiglia
I have a 2013 V7 Stone. Bought used. I'm new to motorcycling. I have a really basic question (and probably more to come). In return for being allowed to ask basic questions, I will donate some money to this site for each question that I get fully answered. I aspire to know how to properly maintain my motorcycle.

Oil Change Questions:
  1. I have a front well stand, which stands the bike up straight. But, it raises the front wheel slightly, is this a problem when checking oil, getting an accurate reading?.
  2. I got some 10w 40 synthetic motorcycle oil to top up. I put in about 400ml. I didn't use 10W 60, like the manual says (guy at parts stored didn't have any, and said this 10w 40 would be fine?) Could this oil weight cause a problem with this engine?
  3. After adding oil, I thought I may have added too much, so I used a turkey baster to remove some, I may have removed too much though I didn't think so at the time. But, now the oil light is on. Could 10w 40 make that light go on?) I hesitate to warm the bike up with the oil light on, and can't now get a good read on oil level. What would you have me do now? Just keeping putting in 10w 40 until light goes out, then ride it and check. This is assuming 10w 40 is ok? Or do an oil and filter change and use 10w 60? Perhaps flush with some oil during the change?
  4. Since I bough the bike used, perhaps I should do an oil change anyway as a baseline?
  5. Are there any common practices, or possible pitfalls that I should know with oil filling and changing?
Thank you very much for any and all advice.

I wouldn't use 10-40, not heavy enough. My suggestion drain oil, change filter put in recommend 10-60 synthetic. I check my oil with side stand, run it a little below the full line. V7s are easy to over-fill and then they spit oil in your air-box. Make sure to snug up your filler cap, check oil when hot and don't thread cap when checking. Refer to owners manual if you have one. you can also get a service manual on this site. Welcome to the club! add some pics of bike too!

I wouldn't use 10-40, not heavy enough. My suggestion drain oil, change filter put in recommend 10-60 synthetic. I check my oil with side stand, run it a little below the full line. V7s are easy to over-fill and then they spit oil in your air-box. Make sure to snug up your filler cap, check oil when hot and don't thread cap when checking. Refer to owners manual if you have one. you can also get a service manual on this site. Welcome to the club! add some pics of bike too!

I'm with him. Oil and filter change with proper oil. 10W60 synthetic is not cheap but it's a lot cheaper than an engine rebuild. Do not run the engine with the oil light on or severe damage will occur quite quickly.

Thanks for the replies. I do have the manual, but no prior experience, so don't trust is throughout enough. What I'll do

Plan
1. drain oil both plugs, remove filter
2. run some oil through the system (perhaps to clean it out, perhaps unnecessary)
3. new filter in, drain plugs in
4. fill 2000ML
5. Run, expect to see no light on
6. run for 10 mins around the city
7. put on front wheel stand and check
8. note the position of the oil on the stick (I don't have 2 marks on the stick, just one.)
9. Record date, oil type and filter used

Other random questions that will really help.
1. How to clean up? Don't want to pollute, but funnel, drain pan (after emptying oil and disposing properly), rags. What do you do?
2. Is there a sump on these bikes? Didn't see anything about it in the manual. But, looks like may be, and wondering if I should have the sump removed and cleaned out?
3. When else other than light and dip stick should be looking out for in regards to oil, to make sure it's all running properly. Sound of engine?
4. Where do I look to see if this is happening: "...spit oil in your air-box"

Attachments

• IMG_0024.JPG
    IMG_0024.JPG
    344.2 KB · Views: 4
Thanks again for the help. So, for Q1 in the Random section: Yeah, I can take bulk of oil to a shop, but how to clean up funnel and pan? Soap and down the drain? Or chuck and replace?

Thanks again for the help. So, for Q1 in the Random section: Yeah, I can take bulk of oil to a shop, but how to clean up funnel and pan? Soap and down the drain? Or chuck and replace?
I wipe off my drained funnel and empty pan with paper towels and throw the towels in the trash.

To clean up of the pan & funnel, I just wipe it down with paper towels and bring all the junks to a shop. Most shops around me anyway will take them and recycle them together with the used oil.

as for oil spit into the air box. Well, just remove your filter and look into the air box underneath your seat. You will know if you got oil in your box or not.

Mine does constantly...it has became a habit for me to remove the filter and clean up the air box...

Here is a thread regarding to the oil in filter and what some people did to "negate" that...

https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/oil-breather-alternative.15070/

anywhoo, I am by no mean expert and a lot of above are what I have learned thru the site by other more experience people.

When in doubt, ask :)

Hi all, got some w10 60 oil and a new filter. BUT, I can't get the filter cap off. It seems like it's glued in. Not idea what previous owner might have one. I have the bolt out, and all the oil drained, but I can't make that thing move at all. Tried to pry it, and tap with a rubber mallet to jar loose. Nothing. I'm concerned I'll do damage if I put more muscle into it. Any ideas?

OK, got it off. For future reference, it seems no threads in the cap that the bolt goes through, so a long allen key in the hole then pull down at an angle, and it popped off finally, with the filter too. Ok, on the step 3, skipping 2.

IMG 0045

Last edited:
ok, all back together, 2 L added. Started, seemed ok. Then oil light on for bit, then off. Engine light on for bit, then off. Now currently both off. Will check in the am. From the manual:

IF YOU CHECK LEVEL WHEN THE EN- GINE IS COLD, OIL LEVEL COULD TEMPORARILY DROP BELOW THE 'MIN' MARK.

Can anyone explain why it must be hot?

THIS SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED A PROBLEM PROVIDED THAT THE ALARM WARNING LIGHT AND THE ENGINE OIL PRESSURE ICON DIS- PLAY DO NOT TURN ON SIMULTANE- OUSLY.

Is the ALARM WARNING LIGHT the engine (EOBD) light?

Road it to work. No warning lights. Thanks for all the help. One last question though

The dipstick only has one bar, not two like in the manual. Is it a min bar, or a max bar? Anyone know? (Maybe this isn't the original dipstick)

Just an FYI: apparently MG over-specs the fill amount for V7 models. I found that mine spit oil into the air box and out the breather hose by the frame when I filled with 1.8 liters, so I sucked out 200cc and it's perfectly happy at 1.6 liters. Check this thread out.

Last edited:
Update: Sorry to drag this on. Was thinking it was all done and dusted with all your great help, but ...

Good news: no lights on, seems to run properly. 14 miles today
Odd though: When I check the oil after the ride home from work, engine nice and hot, I'm not sure there's any oil showing other then a bit on the tip. Perhaps it's so light colored I can't tell, or it drips off before I can get it out to see. I tried both screwed in and not, and think that not screwed in is proper technique. Tempted to put some more in, but with no lights, I figure I'm safe, True? I did put in 2L's. Also, do you think putting in wheel stand which raises front end a couple of inches, but otherwise the bike it upright, will make a difference? I tried out of the stand though, and it didn't seem to matter.

I see you are as anal as I am lol...

Wipe the dip stick SUPER clean. Put a flashlight on it and I guarantee you will not see any shininess on it.

Now, put the dip stick in DO NOT SCREW IN and then pull it out. Shine a light on it and look for the shiny line.

But either way, if you did put in 2L in, and no light comes on, you are fine.

DO NOT PUT IN MORE or you risk of oil blow by into the engine.

Don't worry about it and just ride.

@TimmyTheHog Indeed, anal-ytic for sure. Too technical a life and profession. Can't shake it. Trying to have fun, and oh just don't want to f-up my awesome ride. Thanks for that last comment. I believe I know now the difference between clean oil and not, now!!

Back