• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

1400 driveline issue

groundhog105

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
i am experiencing an issue in the transmission or driveline/ final drive that I have not experienced until this last 4 day tour. The 1400 has almost 22,000 miles and in the last 1000 miles while on a trip I noticed that when I would shift down and come to a stop and then while taking off in first gear I’m noticing a clunk in the drive line as I let out the clutch like there is slop in the drive line. You only notice it when taking off in first gear after coming to a stop. I have never noticed this before and want to know if anyone else has experienced this or if this is a problem I need to have a shop look at.
Feedback I’d appreciated.

Get somebody to sit on the bike with it in first gear, with brake applied & let out the clutch (in other words reproduce the clunk) while you listen & observe.
I would start at the rear then move forward & see if I could locate where the clunk is.
If it's at the rear drive unit then I'd pull the wheel for a look see.

Also be aware of new vibrations, the old bikes would get a vibe in the right foot peg when the u-joints were going bad.

Get somebody to sit on the bike with it in first gear, with brake applied & let out the clutch (in other words reproduce the clunk) while you listen & observe.
I would start at the rear then move forward & see if I could locate where the clunk is.
If it's at the rear drive unit then I'd pull the wheel for a look see.

Also be aware of new vibrations, the old bikes would get a vibe in the right foot peg when the u-joints were going bad.

I will check this out. There is no vibration and I’m pretty sure the clunk Iswhen the slack in the in the drive shaft is taken up as the clutch is let out. I will check and post.

I will check this out. There is no vibration and I’m pretty sure the clunk Iswhen the slack in the in the drive shaft is taken up as the clutch is let out. I will check and post.

This might sound silly but, have you checked the brake pads?.

Recently I read a thread on a different forum where somebody was asking about how much play there should be in the buttons on a floating rotor, The buttons on his disk brakes were within tolerance, as specified in the service manual and by the manufacturer of the brake parts.

Eventually the poster figured out the clunk was due to a worn brake pad moving around in the caliper.

This might sound silly but, have you checked the brake pads?.

Recently I read a thread on a different forum where somebody was asking about how much play there should be in the buttons on a floating rotor, The buttons on his disk brakes were within tolerance, as specified in the service manual and by the manufacturer of the brake parts.

Eventually the poster figured out the clunk was due to a worn brake pad moving around in the caliper.

Thanks, I will check that.

Well, I tried for about 20 minutes to replicate the clunk that I was hearing and could not make it happen. So I’m just going continue on

Have you looked at the rear drive? When I got mine serviced and had the rear tire changed at 10,000 miles the dealer noticed the flexible coupling disk and spring drive rubber had not been lubricated at the factory and were acutally gunky and rusty. I took a long time to get them off. This could be causing a clunk.

"This might sound silly but, have you checked the brake pads?."

This makes sense as a source of a some-time clunk while taking off, maybe a caliper binding rather than the pad?

Thanks I checked the pads and they were fine and secure. It was more like slop in the drive line but I’ve not been able to duplicate it since.

I'm not familiar with the details of the 1400's drive line, but with my older Guzzis a clunk like that usually inspired me to pull the swingarm and check the condition of the driveshaft U-joint. They're pretty robust, but I had to replace the one in my LeMans at 38,000 miles ... Likely damaged due to extensive abuse by the owner. (I was a lot younger then... :angel: )​

"Thanks I checked the pads and they were fine and secure. It was more like slop in the drive line but I’ve not been able to duplicate it since."

Funny, I got a clunk in my driveline the other day and thought of this thread. Mine was due to the traction control cutting power for a millisecond when the back end caught a little air on the freeway. A very definite clunk, quite unusual. I'm thinking maybe if it lost traction starting off it might happen then, too?

Back