• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7 III Special, impressions at 1200 miles

lucydad

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Famiglia
All,

I have owned my new Special since last July. At 1200 miles, these are my impressions. Just had my first service at Italian Superbikes here in Houston.

I give the bike 9 out of ten as far as ownership experience. As reported in test rides, and early ownership: dang the new 2V engine combined with new 6-speed gearbox and tweaked geometry is just superb. Fueling is spot on, no more warm up issues, or hot engine difficult start issues. The instrumentation is excellent, love having gear indicator and ABS and rider modes. Already tested the ABS in emergency breaking (hell, I live in Houston, TX) and yep it is good stuff---done some rain riding: composed. No more V7 Racer (2012) skids and brake modulation and a prayer. Guzzi even fixed the crappy side stand issue: lots of peg grip for boot.

I see very few significant changes I would make. I LOVE the zaffiro blue, it is striking, and others appreciate the uniqueness of the bike. The side cover design is so-so, but nothing major. I would still desire a fuel level indicator like my Triumph STRX triple. But, fuel mileage and capacity are superb, this bike can run many miles between stops. The seat is comfy, and with new small rear rack: plenty of room for a big roll waterproof bag for longer overnight trips, and maybe, maybe fulfill a dream of some motorcycle camping.

This is a bike I can make a lot of miles in a day. Longest so far about 175, but more possible due to the bar geometry just fits me. Old 2012 V7R just gave me back pains after 100 miles.

The engine, well with higher HP and torque: it cruises easy at 80, no strain at all. And there is plenty of acceleration, this bike can move! Punches above its weight no doubt.

The bike is fun to ride! And I feel comfortable and safe in any situation.

One major issue to resolve. Wow, it is quiet with the double wall pipes. Next project, with my dealer: replace the cans, drop weight, and get a bit more of that transverse V-twin roar going. Minor issue: don't like the big, ugly, rubber foot pegs: looking at smaller replacements, something like the Racer.

Love this bike. It is a big win. Luigi in Mandello did a superb job. Congratulations.

Nice write up. Any chance you know what rpm you're pulling in 6th at 80mph? I have a 15' V7 and have been wondering if the v7iii new 6th gear ratio dropped cruising revs much.

Great write up. Your blue with the silver wheels has to be the prettiest motorcycle on the market. Great color combo, great clean design.

Yes, nice review, Greg.

leave the foot pegs alone. they are one of the reasons your feet aren't vibrating like on the old one.
RPM is about 500 lower across the board.

Odd to me that my brother is unhappy with his V7 III Special. He says that it vibrates so unpleasantly that he cannot ride it. :(

Before you write him off, bear in mind that Michael has tens of thousands of miles on his (now gone) B11, C14 Touring, THREE (!) 8v Norges, and now this V7 III. He also has a '16 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, which he pronounces his favorite of all, and which he rides up in the Ga., Tenn., & N.C. mountains and other points on mult-day rides almost every week, so he is no beginner.

I have ridden his a few hundred miles and don't understand. There is nothing wrong with his Special.

Mebbe it's something like a large weapon v. a small one, in which the former absorbs more of the recoil than the latter. Whatever, I regret that he seems to regret the purchase.

Great write up. Your blue with the silver wheels has to be the prettiest motorcycle on the market. Great color combo, great clean design.

You are so misguided. :giggle:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW thumb 5355 UNADJUSTEDNONRAW thumb 5356 UNADJUSTEDNONRAW thumb 5357

Odd to me that my brother is unhappy with his V7 III Special. He says that it vibrates so unpleasantly that he cannot ride it. :( He also has a '16 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, which he pronounces his favorite of all
Heh, so like I was saying on the other thread, Ducatis have become so refined they are like UJMs these days. How does he like paying the service bills?

Nice write up. Any chance you know what rpm you're pulling in 6th at 80mph? I have a 15' V7 and have been wondering if the v7iii new 6th gear ratio dropped cruising revs much.

I think right at 4500 rpm. Next cruise on freeway I will verify.

leave the foot pegs alone. they are one of the reasons your feet aren't vibrating like on the old one.
RPM is about 500 lower across the board.

True on low vibrations, didn't think about that. Bike is ultra smooth, one of the satisfaction plusses in my opinion. Only vibration is at idle, a nice chunk-chunk Italian choir...

Another pretty bike, Bill. No detraction from lucydad's lovely machine. Your brother: probably trying to use it at low rpm too much. The V7IIIs want to rev and are unhappy if you give them too much throttle under 4000 rpm. I can feel the vibration in the footpegs and handlebars then. At 4500+ rpm, they run darn near glass-smooth. But eh? Not all bikes suit all riders. :)

Nice write up, lucydad! I'm glad you're so happy with the Special. Similar for me here with Racer ... different bodies want different things, the Racer fits me like a glove and makes me smile so much. A 100 mile day a couple weeks back and all I wanted was to go farther, but no time. Next Spring, I'll be traveling with Racer. Have the Gel Comfort Saddle, a Dart Piranha (to replace the front number plate with a little less obtrusive fly screen for touring) and a touring bag that fits on the back of the seat all ready for it. I may need a small rack too to help support the bag; will see.

As I've said before, the Agostini mufflers are FAR lighter than the OEM mufflers and make a beautiful sound as well (with db-killers in place). Add the GT-Rx ECU reflash map that was customized for me and the boy wants to rev rev rev .. while losing none of the superb tractability and adding midrange too. The lighter mufflers, nicer sound, and improved throttle response transform the bike, including the handling. And now that it's actually past break-in, it just begs me to go play.

I was just down your way in Houston ... mostly on the periphery of the city, but I can see that traffic there is much like traffic around home. I much prefer the vast empty spaces in between, with the happy hilly bits of curvies, when I'm riding or driving. Sigh.

onwards!
G

Heh, so like I was saying on the other thread, Ducatis have become so refined they are like UJMs these days. How does he like paying the service bills?

He can afford it and won't blink an eye.

What has him more than annoyed, however, is a "fob" starting problem. He's been stranded a few times, including once at the top of the BRP. That led to all sorts of i$$ues and PITA logistical challenges.

Unfortunately, too, my bro, who puts on more miles than many of us who just dream of that, thinks that checking oil is major maintenance! He is thus clueless about many DIY things that might be fixed at least temporarily with cable ties!

Bill

Another pretty bike, Bill. No detraction from lucydad's lovely machine. Your brother: probably trying to use it at low rpm too much. The V7IIIs want to rev and are unhappy if you give them too much throttle under 4000 rpm. I can feel the vibration in the footpegs and handlebars then. At 4500+ rpm, they run darn near glass-smooth. But eh? Not all bikes suit all riders. :)

G

I would immediately default to that as a logical explanation were Michael new to Guzzis and the perils of short-shifting.

But the Special is his sixth(!) Guzzi. I have ridden with him. And, while his riding style is way more ... erm ... cautious ... than mine, neither does he lounge in the upper gears and lug the thing.

So, it my be just as you say: "Not all bikes suit all riders."

I have, btw, ridden a Racer. In Pa. in summer '16. Borrowed it while its owner "demo'ed" my Griso. Did not expect to like it as I thought -- never having ridden a newgen V7 -- that it would be short on oomph and and an ergos challenge. Wrong. In fact, I bought the Stornello as a direct result of that borrowed racer.

Bill

:D

I took Racer to my usual breakfast in Mountain View this morning, a nice little ride of about 9 miles. Oh yes: It was 35°F out there, and I have only 'three season' gear at present. No matter, I'm used to getting cold and don't mind it for short periods. :)

The excellence of the ECU map that GT made for my Racer with the Agos on it shines through again. Instant starting, a few moments warm up, and clean throttle response everywhere even down at those temperatures. I've ridden with it now for several hundred miles at temps from this morning's 35° chill to 85° plus sunny mid-day: it just works flawlessly. The only (minor) negative in the way Racer runs now is the light popping because of the secondary air injection system being a bit over the top in pumping more oxygen into the exhaust stream. I eagerly await the block-off kit.

I gave the engine and tires a few moments to warm up, then enjoyed a spirited ride up to the cafe. The sound of this engine revved up through the gears with open throttle is just delightful. Took a way back home after breakfast that let me toss Racer through some wigglies too. (BTW: there are some gloriously wigglie mountain roads just 10 minutes from my door.) At just over 1100 miles now, Racer is feeling fully run-in and ready to work his crankshaft to the max—I bounced off the rev limiter once today, he pulls that fast and hard! And I have to tell you: After going to breakfast at 35°, the 50° that the world had warmed up to by 9:30 felt absolutely balmy. :D

Too much to do today to keep riding, but every time I get on Racer it is a thrill and a delight. I'm so very happy I acquired this motorcycle! I'm looking forward to where we're going to go as the next warm season approaches...

Yes, nice review, Greg.

Odd to me that my brother is unhappy with his V7 III Special. He says that it vibrates so unpleasantly that he cannot ride it. :(

Before you write him off, bear in mind that Michael has tens of thousands of miles on his (now gone) B11, C14 Touring, THREE (!) 8v Norges, and now this V7 III. He also has a '16 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, which he pronounces his favorite of all, and which he rides up in the Ga., Tenn., & N.C. mountains and other points on mult-day rides almost every week, so he is no beginner.

I have ridden his a few hundred miles and don't understand. There is nothing wrong with his Special.

Mebbe it's something like a large weapon v. a small one, in which the former absorbs more of the recoil than the latter. Whatever, I regret that he seems to regret the purchase.

You are so misguided. :giggle:

View attachment 13984 View attachment 13985 View attachment 13986

Touche!

Bill, give him my phone # and have him come up and try my Super Blue -3.
It's so much smoother than my 2015 I can't believe the difference. hard to believe there is something wrong / different with his but possibly. on my 2015 I have jell grips wrapped on the pegs and am going to put bar end weights on the pegs to hopefully quell the vibes.

Back