• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

V7iii tie down/tail pack storage

Sean Bates

Just got it firing!
Hi all,

I recently purchased a 2017 v7 iii. First bike for me, and looking forward to putting some solid miles on this summer.

I don't have any long trips planned for this year (just weekend trips) so no need for too much storage. That said, I think a tail pack, or even just some straps to secure an extra backpack should do the trick for this year.

If anyone has any recommendations on straps, cargo nets, or reasonably priced tail packs that fit well with a V7, I'd appreciate your insight!

Also, any recommendations on how to best secure using straps would be appreciated (ie: loop under seat, hook around rear turn signals, etc)

Thanks,

Sean

You don't say which model V7III you're riding. I'll presume it is not a Racer and that it has a dual seat, which provides a place to tie something on behind you pretty easily.

You can do a lot of traveling using a modest sized magnetically attached tank bag and a strap-on tail bag. This is what I tend to use most myself as well. I've done up to a 900 mile weekend trip with these:

• Cortech Super 2.0 Tank Bag

This is a 2L capacity tank bag that attaches to the fuel tank magnetically. It has a security strap that loops around the steering head to keep it from getting lost if a side wind tries to blow it off (I've never had it even move... :)), a modest main compartment, a small, detachable, top-mounted map pocket, zipped pockets front and rear (one is normally filled with the rain cover, the rear equipped with a headphone cord pass through for a smart phone), and shoulder straps (which tuck away into a pocket underneath the bag when not in use) so that you can carry it easily when you get off the bike.

It's quite a nice little bag and handles all of my usual incidentals that I might need at a rest stop, or want quick access to (like a heavier pair of gloves, or my sunglasses, etc).​

• Nelson Rigg CL-1060-S Sport Motorcycle Tail/Seat Bag

The is a medium sized tail bag that includes a zipper expansion enabling it to fit 22L of gear. The top has a rigid structure and separating net with zipper, the bottom has a moveable divider for organization (I usually don't use it). You can stow a good bit of gear in 22L if you work at it and choose gear which packs down tight and small. The bag attaches to the bike using four nylon straps ... I loop the front ones around the footpeg hangers and the rear ones around the frame under the seat.​

Easy on, easy off with both of these, and they're easy to store off the bike when not needed.

In addition to the above, a 24" bungee net with six hooks and a medium sized soft backpack (Nelson Rigg CB-PK30 Black Compact Backpack), dry bag, or sling bag that can be packed down into either the tail or tank bags when not needed are useful to have along. The bungee net can be looped over the tail bag and the soft/compact bag can be used with it to carry odd-shaped bulky things, like a pair of hiking shoes for when you reach a destination and want to get out of your boots. I have a bunch of different bags of this description because I'm often carrying camera gear, riding a bicycle, etc where I need some casual carry capabilities.

For the Racer, I used the above with a Guzzi Comfort Gel dual seat since the OEM monoposto saddle doesn't have any good flat space to secure the tail bag to. However, I've found that I prefer the monoposto saddle ... it's just more comfortable for me. So I acquires the Moto Guzzi mini rack and worked out how to fit it to the Racer (it's a bit complicated to install, but isn't more than a half hour job really) so that on the next trip I'll use that as a tie-down mount for the tail bag and use the bungee net to secure any additional storage in a dry bag over the seat's rear hump, between the tail bag and me. That will work out fine and be more comfortable. :D

Welcome to the addiction!
A few years ago I found on line something that was made out of leather with 4 d-rings attached.
It was made to go under the rear part of the seat so the 4 d-rings hung out on both sides.
I use it all the time to secure camp gear.

The bad news is I just tried to find it on line so I could post a link but all the places I might have bought it from no longer list it.
So an alternative might be to use 2 or 3 bungees under the seat or possibly a cargo net.
I'm actually going to try both of those to see how they work.

Just remember one rule: The more space you have to pack "stuff" the more stuff you will pack & then want more! LOL!!!

Just remember one rule: The more space you have to pack "stuff" the more stuff you will pack & then want more! LOL!!!

That is the tendency. However, I've made a lifelong effort of simplifying and reducing what I need to carry on a motorcycle. My two little bags often now run about half full ... :D

Sean, congrats on the new Guzzi purchase. Hope you’ll add your info to the Registry thread here; https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/v7-registry-picture-thread-add-your-bike.9108/

For securing bags, these are very good and easy to use; http://www.rokstraps.com/moto.html — steer clear of bungies, but nets can be ok for small light loads.

That said, as a newer rider, let me throw some precautionary words at you... be VERY cautious on what you carry over and around the rear wheel. I’ve seen really bad results from bags that become wedged into the rear wheel.
If you don’t wear a bag on your back (and I’m not a fan personally), I’d say save and invest in proper racks that keep things secure (rear rack or saddlebags). I have both in the online Store link above.

Thanks for the mention of the Rokstraps, Todd! I've been hunting for those things for a while, didn't remember the name. :)

Todd makes a very good point about being careful how you pack, particularly over the rear wheel. Be sure that all straps, etc, are snug and that no loose ends exist. Test your packing carefully before riding; ride a ways, then stop and check it again.

I'm not personally a huge fan of hard luggage unless it's a full on touring application. I just dislike all the stuff hanging on the motorcycle when I don't need it. I use a light backpack or sling pack only when I have a short hop, and use well arranged soft luggage for traveling as I mentioned above.

Here's a photo of my Racer ready for the run to Mendocino.

41112443770_fa2fd6c413_b.jpg

I needed to carry some bulky hiking shoes as well as camera and tripod on that ride, so I used the bungee net and a stuff bag to fit them over the top of the tail bag.

Thanks everyone for the info!

I think I'll plan to add a rack next season. For now, the Roc straps should do the trick.

Godfrey - It is in fact a V7 Stone. In the picture, do you have you pack strapped to the seat, or underneath the frame as well?

Looking forward to digging into this forum. There is an overwhelming amount of info here. Appreciate the expertise from all

As far as tie down straps (and other bags), you might also check out Mosko Moto backcountry straps (or simple strap). They make gear for long distance touring, off-road, etc and looks like quality, built for abuse, kind of stuff.

Last edited:
Godfrey - It is in fact a V7 Stone. In the picture, do you have you pack strapped to the seat, or underneath the frame as well?

The two forward straps for the tailbag hook around the rear foot peg mounts. The two rear straps hook around the back of the frame under the seat. The bungee net hooks are connected to the seat pan.

The name of the product is "Baxley Sport Bike Chock". If Todd can't get you one, they're available from places like Amazon.com. Very sturdy, they do a good job of holding the bike upright. :)

Thanks everyone for the info!

I think I'll plan to add a rack next season. For now, the Roc straps should do the trick.

Looking forward to digging into this forum. There is an overwhelming amount of info here. Appreciate the expertise from all

Here's a pix of my V7-III Stone with the Guzzi rear rack and a small Givi tank bag on top.

V7 III Stone with Givi MT505 Rear Bag

Also shown are the C-bow mounts, which IMHO are not intrusive when the panniers are not present.

Here's a pix of my V7-III Stone with the Guzzi rear rack and a small Givi tank bag on top.

View attachment 15131

Also shown are the C-bow mounts, which IMHO are not intrusive when the panniers are not present.

Thanks for the info... The army green is a great look. I would've preferred the green myself, but found a deal on a gently used black model I couldn't pass up

Nice Dave!

... Also shown are the C-bow mounts, which IMHO are not intrusive when the panniers are not present.

I was initially interested in the H-B C-bow system because of that, but the luggage doesn't fit with the Racer's upswept mufflers without modification, and they don't really look right with the Racer's monoposto saddle once you do modify them and raise them enough that some bags will fit.

Thought I would bump this vs making a new thread. Does anyone have the Baxley Sport chock and, if so, how does it fit with the V7 100/90 - 18" wheel?

Back