• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Another one bites the dust…

scottmastrocinque

GT Godfather!
GT di Razza Pura
Don’t believe it? You should. I’ve seen it many times over.

Posted on another forum. Another poor bastard who did it to himself..,

“What brings me here,is by V85TT. 2019, 67K kms and loving it.

Its the early model with the Marelli 7SM ECU. I have remove the cat and done a few other things that has resulted in me spending some time adjusting the maps in the ECU. Quite some learning experience, non the less some fun. I have run about 50 different maps in her over the last 2 years, and my last challenge has been removing the pre-detonation when under load between 3000 and 4000rpm.

I do all my mapping as per the book, dedicated win7 laptop, battery charger, Diag writer program. And its worked a charm, until now. So I tweaked a few things in the map this morning and set it up to download in the Guzzi, while I kept the wife happy and did the dishes. Uhm, the result wasn't good as the power cable from the GPO was unplugged and I didn't notice. The result was that the laptop shutdown, I am guessing mid upload. I know it did the erase part. So its bricked at the moment and I can't communicate with the ECU.

I will disconnect the negative cable for a few hours and reconnect it, to see if that type of resets restores comm's. Likely it won't so I am posting here.

I see in the threads that there are some references from Beetledung about recovering the ECU. But no instructions anywhere on the net as to how to do this. Any suggestions help appreciated. Note I work in IT so the computer stuff isn't a problem…”

—————

And the massive help from the “experts”…

Unfortunately, I can't help with a specific solution to your problem. Hopefully you post with a fix at some point so we all have a good reference.

But, painting with broad brush strokes, one thing I have learned over the years of flashing various ECUs is that if a flash fails I would not interrupt the power going to the ECU. There is a chance that starting over without powering down the ECU will result in a successful flash or at least a successful enough one that the ECU isn't bricked, needing extra attention. It sounds like you're past that point but it may be something that helps someone else. It should also be noted that I am not certain if this would or would not work on a Marelli ECU.

When I have flashed my V85 I have always felt that the process was a bit finicky compared to other ECUs I've dealt with so I've always been very cautious.”

——————

No amount of connecting the battery cables together, leaving the key on, holding the brake lever, throat singing, chicken sacrifice, swearing, maniacal laughter, or any other suggestion here will fix a bricked 7SM ECU.

If the software recovery doesn't wake it up, reach for your wallet.
..”

Point of this story is, do not mess with your ECU. You don’t know what you are doing and the chances for destroying your motorcycle’s ECU are very high.

If you want proper fueling, leave it to the real expert and check out GTM's offerings in the STORE tab.

I've had the PowerCommander and Autotune on my Stelvio for a decade with stellar results. I am awaiting shipment of my second unit for my Eldorado 1400, which should come this week.

I absolutely endorse GTM's fueling products. They do what they promise. Period.

Last edited:
That is why I never messed with re-mapping my Audace as badly as it needed it. Todd was just too far away.
kk

Don’t believe it? You should. I’ve seen it many times over.

Posted on another forum. Another poor bastard who did it to himself..,

“What brings me here,is by V85TT. 2019, 67K kms and loving it.

Its the early model with the Marelli 7SM ECU. I have remove the cat and done a few other things that has resulted in me spending some time adjusting the maps in the ECU. Quite some learning experience, non the less some fun. I have run about 50 different maps in her over the last 2 years, and my last challenge has been removing the pre-detonation when under load between 3000 and 4000rpm.

I do all my mapping as per the book, dedicated win7 laptop, battery charger, Diag writer program. And its worked a charm, until now. So I tweaked a few things in the map this morning and set it up to download in the Guzzi, while I kept the wife happy and did the dishes. Uhm, the result wasn't good as the power cable from the GPO was unplugged and I didn't notice. The result was that the laptop shutdown, I am guessing mid upload. I know it did the erase part. So its bricked at the moment and I can't communicate with the ECU.

I will disconnect the negative cable for a few hours and reconnect it, to see if that type of resets restores comm's. Likely it won't so I am posting here.

I see in the threads that there are some references from Beetledung about recovering the ECU. But no instructions anywhere on the net as to how to do this. Any suggestions help appreciated. Note I work in IT so the computer stuff isn't a problem…”

—————

And the massive help from the “experts”…

Unfortunately, I can't help with a specific solution to your problem. Hopefully you post with a fix at some point so we all have a good reference.

But, painting with broad brush strokes, one thing I have learned over the years of flashing various ECUs is that if a flash fails I would not interrupt the power going to the ECU. There is a chance that starting over without powering down the ECU will result in a successful flash or at least a successful enough one that the ECU isn't bricked, needing extra attention. It sounds like you're past that point but it may be something that helps someone else. It should also be noted that I am not certain if this would or would not work on a Marelli ECU.

When I have flashed my V85 I have always felt that the process was a bit finicky compared to other ECUs I've dealt with so I've always been very cautious.”

——————

No amount of connecting the battery cables together, leaving the key on, holding the brake lever, throat singing, chicken sacrifice, swearing, maniacal laughter, or any other suggestion here will fix a bricked 7SM ECU.

If the software recovery doesn't wake it up, reach for your wallet.
..”

Point of this story is, do not mess with your ECU. You don’t know what you are doing and the chances for destroying your motorcycle are very high.
In a world far away, when everything was fresh and new and I believed people who were "experts", I handed over my 2006 R1 to a man who added a Power Commander and then installed one of his "special" maps, one that wasn't available to his regular customers, not because he felt I could handle the extra power, but likely because he liked his other customers/suckers, and it ran so badly and so lean that the valves/valve seats were damaged, and just to add the cherry to the ice cream cake, he then for "free" had reflashed the ECU with inevitable results. By the way, nice help offered to the tragedy of the above situation, basically, "you're screwed, because I don't know if anything works"!

That is why I never messed with re-mapping my Audace as badly as it needed it. Todd was just too far away.
kk
You can get the PowerCommander and Autotune from GTM in the store. I did. You don't have to take your motorcycle to GTM. Todd does everything over the internet including routine map checks and adjustments.

My second unit for my Eldorado will be shipping out very soon. My first unit, has been on my Stelvio for about 10 years now. Best money I ever spent on that motorcycle. Absolutely transformed it.

Last edited:
What went wrong is the batt went dead on a download. Makes ECU a brick(that one anyway). I've done all kinds of downloads with no issue ever. Some using Guzzi's hardware & software and some by other stuff. You ALWAYS have bike on a charger, don't take it for granted it won't loose power. Even with Todds set-up PCV & autotune, transferring maps I had a charger on bike batt.
You can't take off & go do the dishes w/o a charger.

I don’t care if you’ve done it a million times and utilizing factory tools versus shareware crap is a whole different can of beans entirely.

My point was very simple.

The very same people who promote that lunacy to the gullible and unsuspecting, are the exact same people who told the guy with the bricked ECU, to go pound sand.

I’ve said this many many times. Those people will shout from the highest tree about how simple and easy and blah blah blah, but when the shit hits the fan, and it happens all the time although they claim to never have seen it, they tuck tail and run for cover because they haven’t got a damn clue what they are talking about.

Caveat emptor. Abusus non tollit usum.

Last edited:
Thanks for grabbing and posting here on this Scott. I just get all the haters piling on me when I do.
You can bet that's a 1%-er that's willing to step up and post on his failure. I too have seen dozens, but even more baffling is riding most of these maps. They are more often worse that stock, and people will not only pay for it, but they'll go down in flames backing it.
Of the dozens I've overwritten in person, all say things like "wow, I had no idea it could run that well...' or "I really thought something was wrong, but everyone told me that's as good as it gets."
I have to laugh that the guy above has been through 40-50 maps?! I can promise you even his final iteration is likely horrible at best on the dyno and AFR numbers. It only takes one good one when you know what you're doing. ;)

@moparnut72 - The commercially supported ECU Flash Tool (we offer) has done ECU flashes successfully, globally, for a decade plus now.

I no long have the Audace. It wasn't the bike I was concerned with, more my own lack of expertise and the horrible laptop I have, can't be trusted. I use an android tablet for almost everything now. Now I have a V100 and a V7lll, they both run perfectly, so far. At first with the Mandello I had some slow speed surging in sport mode but it didn't take long to determine that it was a result of operator error. Lol.
kk

Back