• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

The Guzzi 850 T5 Cafe Racer Project

Yeah I realised last night that would have to be parallel... , or would have to press both hehe. Thanks for that.

Regarding the flash high beam, had not thought about it. However I normally drive motorcycles with the light always on to improve visibility, so maybe it wont be a problem, will have to think about it.

I really appreciate your comment mate, thanks ever so much.

I will correct the diagram today and probably modify a little further. Will repost just in case anyone needs it.

At first glance I see two things:
You can not flash your high beam with the light switch in the off position, not sure if you see that as a problem
The brake switches should be parallel, not in series. Now your brake light will only come on when both brakes are applied.

Nice bike. Love the tank!

I have that same battery plate and it is nice quality.
1b4862ebd90eb636e5f32e109d9ecb8c.jpg

Also, for the battery, I have a full size battery under the bike, but you have to lose the center stand. You can see it in the pic below, but most people don't notice it when you walk up to the bike.

0727a5ef96865ea71d8ab4a73a8dc3f8.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful work there mate, you can tell a lot of hours went into the bike, my cons.

I did consider battery beneath the engine/back arm as you have placed, but am going to try and squeeze it under the seat first.

I received the battery plate and yeah, the quality is really good, very impressed.

Got all the electric components except the cables which have not arrived yet, frustrating for it is Easter and wont be here so goodbye to my free time and doing it over the holidays...

Stand is going for sure, its a little on the heavy side, plus I have the side stand on mine.

Thanks for posting your photos Ed, lovely to see your bike, sublime paint job on that engine by the way, it looks spotless from the photos!

Take care and ride safe all,
J

Nice bike. Love the tank!

I have that same battery plate and it is nice quality.
1b4862ebd90eb636e5f32e109d9ecb8c.jpg

Also, for the battery, I have a full size battery under the bike, but you have to lose the center stand. You can see it in the pic below, but most people don't notice it when you walk up to the bike.

0727a5ef96865ea71d8ab4a73a8dc3f8.jpg

Hi
So I just pretty much finished my T4.
I can answer a couple of your questions.

Battery so lithium ion 320 amp is enough. Mine sits up kind of under the seat but is so thin at 76mm that you can't really see it.

Wiring I ditched mine and got a motogadget blue. This is a total winner. Made the wiring simple, basically you plug the switches into one side of box and the functions into the other and then all is well.

Rear master cylinder, well there is the cafemachine mount it on the swing are pivot idea, or make a plate and mounted the plate to the chassis join bolts. This worked for me but I put my foot pegs quite fwd as I'm old. I actually used the gear lever pivot hole to mount.

This made for a simple gear change linkage.

I like your forks and tank but budget etc...

Garth

Sorry guys I havent been posting much, have done a bit of work on the bike now and again but it's not until recently I got my act together. Managed to save up a little and went on your recommendations and bought the 3ohm Dyna Coils and Dyna Electronic ignition to keep the frame free of so many cables and mess. Am seriously considering getting a professional to do me a new electrical system, for I am pretty much doing a trial and error at this point for my knowledge in electrical systems is quite limited.

Here are some photos of the parts, are brand new and got them on Amazon and ebay for a reasonable price, and thank goodness they did not get stopped in Customs, so happy about that u can't imagine!

View attachment 11780

View attachment 11781
Be ultra careful about the 2 red wires that emerge from the dyna box. If you mix them up one side of the dyna box will be fried (I did this). Quite why they have 2 red wires kind of eludes me, there are so many colors....

Hi Garth

Thanks ever so much for your reply.

I had seen the motogadget blue, but I thought that it was quite an expensive acquisition... Maybe if It does get to complicated for me I redesign the electrical system and go down that route. Switches in one side and elements out the other definitely sounds appealing!

I have checked and the motogadget blue is listed at around 330€. Would that be correct?

Regarding the braking linkage, I will probably custom build something in the end, or if not go for the cafemachine solution.

I will have the RED RED situation in mind when getting to that part!!!!!

Once again thanks ever so much for helping me out.

Ride safe, and lets see a few pics of your bike!!

Hi

Battery so lithium ion 320 amp is enough. Mine sits up kind of under the seat but is so thin at 76mm that you can't really see it.

Wiring I ditched mine and got a motogadget blue. This is a total winner. Made the wiring simple, basically you plug the switches into one side of box and the functions into the other and then all is well.

Rear master cylinder, well there is the cafemachine mount it on the swing are pivot idea, or make a plate and mounted the plate to the chassis join bolts. This worked for me but I put my foot pegs quite fwd as I'm old. I actually used the gear lever pivot hole to mount.

Garth

Hi Garth

Yep that is about the price, not cheap but I don't think I could have got it all to work without it. The loom design was (i think)beyond me.
I replaced the rectifier/regulator with a unified unit as well. This seems to work with with the Lithium Ion battery (so far)

Photos, there are a few on the T3 tank thread and here are a couple more.
Back IMG 8319cr

Wow nice one.

Now I see what you meen with the brake pump!

For now regarding the electrical system I have:
A new Dynatek Electronic Ignition + Dynatek coils
A new Regulator/Rectifier
A Lion Battery
A basic blade fuse box

I think that is about it.

Would you be able to give me a glimpse at your electrical diagram? I'm very tempted now to go for the Motogadget seeming how easy you put it in comparison! hehe

Thanks Garth, all the best,
Jake

74945111 7B8B 495D AF01 7A8B835B754D 2332A84A 96CF 4E18 AD74 72FFAFA4EFB2
Wow nice one.

Jake
So the wiring is so simple I just made it up as I went then before connecting it all just wrapped it in a fat plastic sleeve.

The Dyna ignition dyna coils and rectifier/regulator unit are just like what I used.
See this pic of how it all mounted up under tank. The little bridge brackets I just welded on.
Second photo shows basically all the wiring done. The spoiled up orange wire being the number plate light that I was still dithering about.
Motogadget is mounted on existing brackets up behind head tube.

Thanks Garth, all the best,
Jake

Funny enough that is where I am going to place the coils also! Hehe

I hadn't thought of putting the fuse box there. My idea was to put all electric under the seat, except for the Regulator which will be going on the front of the bike underneath the headlight.

Once my pal gets back from his holiday I'll ask him what he thinks and get cracking with the electrical system.

Cheers mate, I'll keep you posted!

Jake
So this is where I mounted the motogadget View attachment 16232 box. Access is fine with tank off....

Fun guys, keep the pics coming. Just FYI, there’s a reason the factory rubber mounts electronics. I strongly suggest you do as well unless you’re building a show (only) bike. Cheers.

Hi

Garth

Hi Garth,
Do you have a part number for the 320A battery you are using? Thanks!

Thanks mate

Will have that in mind for sure!

Ride safe,
Jake

Fun guys, keep the pics coming. Just FYI, there’s a reason the factory rubber mounts electronics. I strongly suggest you do as well unless you’re building a show (only) bike. Cheers.

Hi Garth

You have got me pretty convinced with the Motogadget M-Unit. I think I'm going to bite the bullet.

However I would like your opinion on the two options: Basic or Blue?
Is it worth paying the extra buck for the bluetooth functionality?

Let me know when you can, I'll probably purchase it in the coming days.
Once again thanks for your help, have a good weekend,
Jake

Jake
So this is where I mounted the motogadget View attachment 16232 box. Access is fine with tank off....

So lads

I bought the Motogadget M-Unit Basic, started with the electrical system, then saw a superb video on youtube from Revival Cycles, explaining all the additional features of the Blu, so sent it back and updated...
Just wanted to let you know in case you are thinking of buying one of these units. It seems like they are super configurable, and doing so from ones mobile phone with clear instructions is much more efficient that having to install an analog switch on the unit and fiddling with that. Also the bluetooth version gives detailed information of all settings and conditions of the bike, plus you can set an alarm and also do funky things like start the bike from your phone (not that you will ever do).

Hope this gives you all some useful info, all the best,
Jake

On another mater, I was wondering if any of you can resolve the following query I have?

From the top of my engine, specifically just above the crank case before the pistons, there is a hosepipe that goes straight into the chasis, and then it has multiple breath tubes that go down.

I see Garth has cut these tubes off the chasis, and I would be interested in doing the same thing, however was wondering what do you do with the orifice where the pipe was connected? There seems to be a valve with a ball joint in it to let air/oil out, so am guessing this is some type of breathing system. Is there any kind of after market compact filter or alternative system to go on it?

Thanks all for your help, will be posting photos soon as starting the project once again aiming for a late summer ride!

Ride safe!

There seems to be a valve with a ball joint in it to let air/oil out, so am guessing this is some type of breathing system. Is there any kind of after market compact filter or alternative system to go on it?
That is the crankcase breather, and very important. Some race bikes have a long hose that ends with a small K&N style filter, as you'll need a little hose volume to keep it from misting oil all over (unless you don't mind that)... or there are a few breather box options (stock or aftermarket) from other models.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I understand the idea.

I will look around and see which would be the most efficient and convenient at the same time solution.

There seems to be a lot of breathers on this bike!

That is the crankcase breather, and very important. Some race bikes have a long hose that ends with a small K&N style filter, as you'll need a little hose volume to keep it from misting oil all over (unless you don't mind that)... or there are a few breather box options (stock or aftermarket) from other models.

Back