• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Stelvio MPG

Stella's Fury

Just got it firing!
As posted previously, I'm a new Guzzi owner (used 2012 Stelvio). The bike runs great but is only getting 23 mpg, about 15 mpg lower than the rating of 38 mpg. The low fuel light eliminates at about 150 miles. All my miles are highway miles. What can cause such a significant drop. Mileage is extremely important to me as I commute 100 miles a day. I suspect some of the OEM emission controls have been removed. Would that alter the mileage?

Cold weather riding will affect mileage, but not to that extent. I have a 2012 and have never come close to that. Check the obvious things first like the air filter. Does it need to be changed??

Check the spark plugs. Hard to tell engine condition from spark plug color anymore but if it is running that rich, I would expect them to be black.

Are the valve gaps in spec?

Also, are you running a stock exhaust or is it aftermarket. If the fueling is not set up properly with an aftermarket, you will lose mileage very quickly due to the additional air flow.

Lastly, do you know if the map had been changed to something different that stock.

Removal of the OEM emission controls would not produce that change in mileage. You have something else going on.

Is that mileage by the computer, or by fillups and then calculating. The computer will over estimate on the 2012 so if anything, it will read better than actual.

Last edited:
The dealer had put an aftermarket exhaust on when he acquired (before my purchase). I have the OEM exhaust, it came with the bike but is not installed.

My temp range here in Cincinnati is 40's in the a.m. and 70's in the afternoon.

I do not know if the map has been changed.

The computer was reading 36 put has been dropping and is currently at 32. My calculations (miles ridden/gals added) is at about 23.

Throw the stock exhaust back on and see what happens. It will be a quick test to tell you what is happening. If it runs fine and your fuel economy comes back it will tell you that the bike is not set up for the aftermarket exhaust. May take a few miles to see the difference as the lambda probes need to relearn. If it runs like crap then I would guess someone has been fooling with the map.

As posted previously, I'm a new Guzzi owner (used 2012 Stelvio). The bike runs great but is only getting 23 mpg, about 15 mpg lower than the rating of 38 mpg. The low fuel light eliminates at about 150 miles. All my miles are highway miles. What can cause such a significant drop. Mileage is extremely important to me as I commute 100 miles a day. I suspect some of the OEM emission controls have been removed. Would that alter the mileage?
I have a 2013 which is basically identical to the 12 and consistently average 42 mpg. Stock everything and ecu updated by Dealer

I have a 2010. Seeing 45+ isn't unusual at all. All stock. I just got it rollerized and I was getting 48 on the way home (All freeway). It seems happier when keeping the rpm above 5000.

When for a 200 mile run last week with two gs1200s one air one water cooled large part of run was at 80mph my 2008 stelvio managed 49 mpg the year old water cooled GS 53 mpg.

I have a brand new 2016. Checked stated avg mpg to actual mpg and it is regularly off by 9 mpg. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to determine mpg. What's the deal MG? Can the onboard computer not do simple math?

My new '16 just turned 650 miles, still breaking it in. Avg mpg per tank slowly climbing, @ 36.9 on the display right now. Not for the entire 650, only for last fill-up, not riding it gently or babying it.

Got in the habit of clearing trip odometer upon fill-up back when I had the Ducati's, thanks to their flaky fuel tank senders often causing a gauge error. Ignored the fuel quantity gauge altogether, rode and fueled based soley on the trip odo.

My new '16 just turned 650 miles, still breaking it in. Avg mpg per tank slowly climbing, @ 36.9 on the display right now. Not for the entire 650, only for last fill-up, not riding it gently or babying it.

Got in the habit of clearing trip odometer upon fill-up back when I had the Ducati's, thanks to their flaky fuel tank senders often causing a gauge error. Ignored the fuel quantity gauge altogether, rode and fueled based soley on the trip odo.
My display shows average as 52.5 mpg on non-reset trip meter. Have 2500 miles on it and not one tank full came even close to that. Reset other trip meter to keep track of every full tank and not once were they even close to truth.

Just got back from a 500 mile ride. 2009 Stelvio with 50,000 miles has the new "rollerized" map in it. 2 tanks of Non-Ethanol 90-octane fuel and 1 tank of 89 octane E10.

On the last tank coming home, I thought that the "low-fuel" light was never going to come on. It finally came on at 185 miles. I had 40 miles to get to home, so I decided not to stop for fuel.

Pulled into the driveway with 225 miles on the odometer, 223 miles according to the mapping programs, and still had fuel sloshing around in the tank. That's the old 4.9 gallon tank, so I'm somewhere around 50 real MPG now .....

Lannis

Very cool. I don't mind my 43-44 mpg. I mind the computer being way off. If a math problem so simple as that can be wrong, what else may be wrong....

Lannis, that is stunning mpg. I sure hope my beast can get up at least into the 40's. 50's is outstanding.

Lannis, that is stunning mpg. I sure hope my beast can get up at least into the 40's. 50's is outstanding.

It may not be a totally "good thing". The bike runs great, starts easy, idles very smoothly, and pulls well at all speeds.

The ONLY anomaly is that on deceleration, and ONLY between 2500 and 3500 RPMS, the bike pops and bangs in the pipes like it's running lean in that range. It IS running in that range (about 3400 RPM) at 60 - 62 MPH, of which I did about 250 miles on the way home.

The plugs look good, and nothing seems to be getting hot, and the exhaust manifold is not loose, so maybe the answer is for 50+ MPG running, you have to put up with a bit of popping on decel. I'm all for that! I've got real range now.

I'm not sure that I want to ask the shop to plug it in to their machine and richen it up at those RPM if that'll make me go back to 40 - 42 MPG like it used to .... ?

Lannis

Don't feel bad about the popping. My new '16 does it on engine decel and although I've not paid attn to the rpm range I'd wager it's likely similar band as where yours does it. Both of my Multistrada 1200's averaged 41-45mpg so if I can get there with this bike I'm happy, and even if not I'm probably still satisfied as long as it gets above 37.

Back