• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Screaming sound in 3rd gear

JA71

Just got it firing!
Hi guys,
Since I bought my 2013 Custom in 2016 I have a screaming sound when dring in the 3rd gear between 2000 and 2500 rpm. All other gears are fine. I already brought the bike to the dealership to check but they couldn't hear anything (of course not ...). Is this maybe a known issue with the California 1400 (gearbox or drive line etc.) like the fogging inside the instrument panel which my Custom has too...

Thanks.

Just in 3rd gear, starts at 2000 & stops at 2500 rpm.

After 2500 does it just stop or does it taper off?

Sound like a belt screeching or metal grinding?

Hi guys,
Since I bought my 2013 Custom in 2016 I have a screaming sound when dring in the 3rd gear between 2000 and 2500 rpm. All other gears are fine. I already brought the bike to the dealership to check but they couldn't hear anything (of course not ...). Is this maybe a known issue with the California 1400 (gearbox or drive line etc.) like the fogging inside the instrument panel which my Custom has too...

Thanks.
Mine has always "howled" in third under brisk acceleration. I just chalked it up to square cut gears...no idea why it only makes that noise in third...

Well I'll be.... I had '13 Custom 1400 for a short time that was plagued with every ill known to live in the 1400 bikes.
The loud third gear noise was one of the main reasons I let her go.

If there had been a "Todd" on the east coast I probably would have kept her because I really liked the bike.
At the time the two closest dealers were a days ride away & not knowing if Guzzi would actually cover repairs I decided to move on.

thanks for the comments - it seems that I'm at least not the only one ...
yes, the sound tapers off after 2500 rpm and it's not like metal grinding, rather belt scratching as described.
Any ideas?

I would drain the trans oil & look for metal filings. Use a black pan to catch the oil in then slowly pour it into another container.
Look for bright metal shavings that will show up against the black pan.
You don't say how many miles are on the bike so if this is the first or second trans oil change a small amount of filings could be normal.

May not be the best advice but personally I would probably continue to ride but pay close attention to see if the noise gets worse & I would change the trans oil maybe every 500 miles & see what the oil looks like.

Hello,
I also have this problem in 3° at 2500 rpm, it makes a noise that I describe as the reverse gear of a car! very disagreeable!!!
I changed the oil several times and there are no filings in the oil pan and the noise increases when it's 30° outside... decreases when it's cold
I can't find any explanation on the forums and all those who have had this problem do not communicate the solution because I think they are getting rid of the bike
it seems that all of them do it more or less
if anyone has any info...
i love this bike I will be sad to part with it

The third gear whine seems like a Guzzi standard feature to me. The Norges I have ridden had it, my 1400 Touring has it. I don't think it's a "problem" to solve really. My brother's R1100RT has the same gear noise, has for 72,000 miles. Just a feature of the gearbox design.

I've had same issue only in third, was more if a whine, I always thought being straight cut gears and in the torque band.
Just another quirky character trait

Back