• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Stornello rear shock problem

dave lapin

Just got it firing!
These things are so stiff I was almost thrown off the bike. I've dropped the preload to three threads from the bottom and they're still ridiculously stiff. I'm 160 lbs. Has anyone had any experience with a fix for this. I'm thinking of trying new springs first.

Dave,

When you say " almost thrown off the bike," what sort of riding are you talking about? Slab, paved back roads, gravel, dirt, washboard, rutted, off road, what?

As I recall, the Stornello concept bike had serious rear suspension, but -- despite other very high-end touches -- the final version came with a pretty ho-hum rear set.

That said, I have not found mine to be anywhere near as bad as the mag and some forum reviewers have said in an almost universal panning.

OTOH, I hardly think of mine as a serious off-road adventure bike, with Baja in its future. As someone said here or elsewhere -- I am in my pre-dotage and can't remember :giggle: -- the Stornello is an off-pavement machine, not an off-road one. The lack of bash plate (I am going to find something for that even if I probably don't need that) is but one indicator.

Now, having said all of that, and without knowing your use of yours, I agree that one day I'll replace those rears with something much better and likely not just try to fiddle with springs.

I buried the rest of this a bunch of lines down so fewer would read it. ;)

You are an annoyingly light person. 160#'s? The last time I weighed that was when I was 22 and had just finished basic training and airborne school. :rofl: So mebbe I don't find it as stiff as you as I am 215# stark nekkid -- avoid the visual :tmi: -- and likely 230+/-# with ATGATT. What I notice even with that ... erm ... "cushioning" and "ballast" is on-off responsiveness to whatever I roll over rather than a transition.

Bottom line is that I doubt very much you'll ever be happy with stock. In your case, if you can find springs that fit, you may be able to go cheap, but I suspect that in my own and most Stornellians' situations, there are new shocks sets in our future.

Apologies for the long thread, but aside from being a retired-by-the-word guy, Kathi is hinting that it's time for that morning Aztec ritual, the treadmill. So, failing to distract her, it's time to go down to our GITMO room and get the ordeal over with ... or get The Look and not get breakfast. :inlove:

Bill

OTOH, I hardly think of mine as a serious off-road adventure bike, with Baja in its future. As someone said here or elsewhere

I think you are referring to my thread on this. Yes, It's definitely not a real offroad machine, I see that now. With various bits and bobs and swapping the suspension with waaay more travel it would be adequate.

Regardless, I am enjoying mine immensely.

Last edited:
Have you tried loosen the suspension somewhat? I am not heavy (70kg) and find back suspension medieval compared to the Kawasaki 650 I had before. I dont care too much as the Guzzi is so much more fun to ride but will lighten it at spring (winter here now):

^^^^^^

Hmmmmm.

What I know about suspension adjusting on any of my Guzzis would fit into a thimble. That said, I did read my OM and stare at the shocks. ;)

As I understand mine, at least, the only adjustment option is to change preload, i.e., merely (I think) affecting the height of the rear end. Actually -- and somewhat to my surprise given my "fighting weight" :giggle: -- I have had few bottoming-out kerthunks. It is, instead, what I mentioned in an earlier post, above, i.e., the "on-off" sensation that is nothing like the suppleness of my other Guzzi's rear set-ups.

All of that said, I am unlikely to do anything major for a bit. Fiscal concerns are not irrelevant, but it is more a matter of the appearance of waste as the OEM aren't awful, but simply not great.

In the meantime, I'll just ride it and grin.

Bill

Guys, I have a whole thread dedicated to V7 suspension... so instead of WAGs, read up or learn how to measure and set proper sag (measured static and laden), this will show you everything you need to know outside of valving of course... which is terrible at best. Stock shocks are cheap pricepoint units, with nothing special changed for the Stornello. Only the older Racer Bitubos were actually worse.

^^^^^

Stay calm, Todd. :giggle:

Most of us know that you have that info there and look at it. But I don't have your skill, assistants handy, or the self-discipline to study and apply that. Still, I do appreciate the resource.

In the meantime, at our kids' cabin in BFE, W.V., I am deeply involved in other critical tasks. :clap: :swear:;)

Best to you and all ...

Bill
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW thumb 530c UNADJUSTEDNONRAW thumb 5300

Stay calm, Todd. :giggle:
Most of us know that you have that info there and look at it. But I don't have your skill, assistants handy, or the self-discipline to study and apply that. Still, I do appreciate the resource.
Heh, well that wasn't aimed at you Bill, but duly noted. ;)
Man, none of that looks like any fun to me.

Edit: I have been using and am now selling this super simple tool for measuring sag, even by yourself Bill(!); https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/slacker-v2-sag-measuring-tool/

Ha!

Concur on your "fun" comment. I am no hunter, but think it fine for those who like it. And it does provide meat and manage wildlife population. Anyway, s-i-l Todd got the deer; I just went along to the processor. It was fascinating, thus the pic.

While Todd was sitting in the dark and cold, the four little hellions needed that toilet badly and it was hors de combat, so, as "The Available Guy," I was drafted to fix it. At least I was a hero when I declared victory. :clap:

That sag device is most interesting. I'll drop Christmas hints in appropriate places :makeup: ... with the free shipping incentive noted.

In meantime, this coming week, especially Tuesday and Wednesday, looks to be the fall's last warm hurrah, so I will get in some pleasant miles and memories on the Stornello and other moto-harem sweeties before the arctic arrives. Suspension tuning and maintenance can wait for winter in the heated Moto Grappa. ;)

Bill

So, after backing off the rear shock preload as far as possible the ride was still too rough for me. I had a couple of friends ride it to make sure I wasn't being too critical and they agreed with me. I called all the usual suspects to see about having custom springs made, but they either didn't have them, wouldn't make them or mostly wouldn't return phone calls. I finally saw a blurb about Hagon shocks and I called Dave Quinn Motors in Conn. to buy a set. They were about $330, they installed in 15 minutes and they have transformed the bike. Dave Quinn is also a gentleman who went well out of his way to help me. Highly recommend.

Back