• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Service Thread - 2013+ V7

I recently carried out the 1000km service on my new V7II and wanted to say thanks to everyone who has contributed to this service thread; it made all the difference in the world. Knowing the things to do that the service manual glosses over or assumes the performer would know a priori, ensured my success!

Something I would like to share, is some high weirdness I discovered as I was getting ready to do the tappet adjustments. I noticed a minor oil leak in the upper right side of the joint of the alternator cover and the engine case, approximately where the grommet sealing the alternator lead exits the alternator cover. It was very minor, and casual inspection didn't reveal the grommet leaking, or the gasket being damaged or otherwise compromised.

After doing all the usual break in service, and taking a page from the practice of individually loosening and re-torquing the head nuts, I did the same for the alternator cover bolts, and then cleaned the area of the leak, rode 20 odd miles and no more leak.;)

First, thanks to everyone who provides helpful info and patiently walks guys like me thru the various maintenance and repair procedures like this one, I have found this site and Todd personally to be a great help.

Now onto my question. I re-torqued the heads of my V7 and then set the valve clearances at .006 intake and .008 exhaust and then started it up to make sure it ran OK. Seems to run fine in the garage (I can't ride right now because of a shoulder surgery) but I am hearing the valves more than I did before. All of the valves had lower clearances before I adjusted them so it makes sense to me that they might be a little noisier now that the clearances are higher but I wanted to get some input from people who know Guzzis.

Any input is appreciated.

First, thanks to everyone who provides helpful info and patiently walks guys like me thru the various maintenance and repair procedures like this one, I have found this site and Todd personally to be a great help.

Now onto my question. I re-torqued the heads of my V7 and then set the valve clearances at .006 intake and .008 exhaust and then started it up to make sure it ran OK. Seems to run fine in the garage (I can't ride right now because of a shoulder surgery) but I am hearing the valves more than I did before. All of the valves had lower clearances before I adjusted them so it makes sense to me that they might be a little noisier now that the clearances are higher but I wanted to get some input from people who know Guzzis.

Any input is appreciated.

The V7/V7II service manual specifies:
Intake valve clearance: 0.15 mm (0.0059 in)
Exhaust valve clearance: 0.20 mm (0.0079 in)​
or 0.006 and 0.008 inch.

The V7III service manual specifies:
Intake valve clearance: 0.10 mm (0.0039 in)
Exhaust valve clearance: 0.15 mm (0.0059 in)​
or 0.004 and 0.006 inch.

Clearance settings assume a cold engine, and the engine set to TDC compression for the cylinder you are checking and adjusting the valves on. I seem to recall that most Guzzi twin engines seem to tighten up their valves with use, rather than the valve clearances getting looser. You can't evaluate how the valves sound realistically until the engine is thoroughly warmed up, which takes a good bit more than a few minutes idling or blipping the throttle in the garage, but it's pretty normal for freshly torqued heads and adjusted valves to sound a little noisy at first.

I know that as soon as the valves on any of my Guzzis started to get quiet, I had the valve covers off to check them... :)

Thanks Godfrey.

Engine was cold and at TDC or as close as I could get it so hopefully it's all good. Guess I just need to wait until l I can properly warm it up to see how it sounds. I'm probably just overly nervous that I may have done something wrong.

did u check them originally before torquing the heads. if you only checked after the re torque then the setting was useless because that would tighten them up. they loosen with time and miles not tighten. if you can't here them you did something wrong.
also just to confuse the V7-3 owners the sticker on the bike says 6 & 8 while the shop book calls for 4 & 6.

I did the pre-check on the valves after I re-torqued. Not sure why I did that since I knew the re-torque could change the clearances, that's why I did the re-torque first. So yes my pre-check was basically useless. That doesn't change the fact that the sound is noticeably different after the adjustment. Sounds like that is normal do I'll put some miles on and see how it goes. What issues can I have if the settings are too loose? Any signs i should look for?

Hoping to give it a good workout in a couple of weeks and see how it sounds and runs when it's heated up. Thanks for the input guys.

If there is even the slightest doubt in your mind about whether you had it on TDC on the compression stroke do it again!
only a half hour out of TV time some evening for some peace of mind. also make sure there weren't 2 feeler gauges stuck together. it happens. a 3 and four makes 7 and that's a clicker for sure.

I live in Alexandria, have lived here on and off for the last 10 years, but was my first trip. Man.... What an unfortunate mess...

Anyhow, I just bought a Stornello, was thinking about having them do my first service, otherwise would have to go to Richmond or back to Accident. I've decided I will do it myself. I do all my own work anyway, and figured a first service at a dealer would e good, but its not in the cards. Just ned to do some research on how to turn the motor to get to TDC. I can do my 1100 GRiSO and 1200 Norge 8V with my eyes closed, but the small block is a bit different.

Whats the conventional wisdom on the Head retorque? is it back off one at a time and retorque? Or Loosen all then retorque? I'm thinking I will back all off a bit then retorque.

get the ass off the ground and stick it in sixth. some say back them off others say no. 1/4 turn should be plenty. on mine i did 32 and 19 on the small ones. just make sure the plug wires are screwed in all the way. one of mine was maybe 1/2 turn started and one just pushed on the 2015. the 2017 was done right.

Back