• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

'09 Stelvio 4v Running Poorly

mohawkeye

Cruisin' Guzzisti
A couple of months ago I lent my Stelvio to my buddy Richard because I'd recently injured my hands in a freak accident on another bike, and wanted the Stelvio to be exercised while i can't ride. All well and good until last Thursday night, when Richard called to say that the bike stalled on one of LA's freeways, chugging its way to the shoulder. After trying unsuccessfully to restart it, he noticed that the battery's positive connector was loose, and he tightened it up. Then, as I recall, when he tried to restart it, all he got was the solenoid clicking. Unfortunately, I was asleep and my phone's ringer was silent, so I didn't see his texts until Friday morning. In the meantime he had the bike towed to his work. We agreed that it sounded like a classic no-start from an essentially dead original battery.

Friday I bought a new AntiGravity battery from Todd, picked Richard up, and we drove to his workplace to install the new battery. I noticed that the connectors were very dirty after we disconnected the old battery and installed the new. We turn the key and are asked to enter the key code. After doing that, the bike cycled through its pre-start and then started up. Good, right? Well, not really; it idled fine, but any throttle twist would induce a stutter/chug. We tried the same routine again, but this time "SERVICE"
appeared on the lower dash and the red "danger" triangle on the upper dash, and the bike would not start. I called Triple A for a motorcycle tow to my house, waited, and helped load the bike on the flatbed, then took Richard home and just beat the tow truck to my house.

Today I cleaned the battery connectors and air filter, re-fitted the battery connectors, and, when going through the startup routine described above, got "SERVICE" and the triangle, the bike started & idled but would only stutter when the throttle was twisted. I rechecked the connectors and the main ground and found them tight. I was able to check the main (30 & 40 amp) fuses, which looked fine. Because my hands weren't able to pull the auxiliary fuses, they haven't been examined. I tried startup once more, with the same results.

Can anyone please help?

R u sure you are charging. May just be running off battery and you have a low voltage situation. May be worth the look at the voltage when the bike is running at idle. Measure off the battery if you can. Fact that it asked you for the key means that it lost all memory in the dash...perhaps no power for a while????

Mike, it was told to me to try the spare key to see if that alleviates the user code inquiry on start up. If not, bring it by, I have a few things I was told to try.

John & Todd, what just happened was very interesting to me. First of all, I tried the key I've used since day one, and got the same results as above. I'm pretty sure I'd never activated the spare key, but I must be wrong because when I turned the ignition on, the normal startup cycling began, and no "SERVICE" appeared on the dash. So I toggled through diagnostics: there are no CPU error codes at all; then I went to dashboard errors, and in the "memo" column (on the right side) error codes DSB1, DSB2, and DSB8 are "X"-ed. I then reset the dashboard errors, exited diagnostics, and started the bike. However, I still have the same throttle issues.

Canuck, while it was on loan, the bike was used at least once a week. I've let it sit for close to two weeks before (granted, not that often) and never had this issue. I will take your advice, though. Could you explain to this electrical moron how to "measure off the battery?" Does this mean that you have the meter's positive pole on the battery's + end and the meter's other pole on the frame? I really am a moron when it comes to electricity.

Todd, I'll see what I can do to find a tow to Malibu - tomorrow's no good, but I'll shoot for Wednesday. Will let you know as soon as I do.

Canuck, while it was on loan, the bike was used at least once a week. I've let it sit for close to two weeks before (granted, not that often) and never had this issue. I will take your advice, though. Could you explain to this electrical moron how to "measure off the battery?" Does this mean that you have the meter's positive pole on the battery's + end and the meter's other pole on the frame? I really am a moron when it comes to electricity.

Todd, I'll see what I can do to find a tow to Malibu - tomorrow's no good, but I'll shoot for Wednesday. Will let you know as soon as I do.

You are correct. Red (+ve) lead on the positive pole and the black (-ve) on the negative pole. You meter will need to measure DC voltage. To avoid all that, start the bike and go to the voltage readout on your menu. Will be close enough to see if you are generating power. What does it say when the bike is on but not running, and what does it say when the bike is idling.

May not be your problem but worth a shot. If find it suspect that the dash rebooted and is now asking for your key.

DSB codes 1 and 2 are key not recognized. DSB8 is an oil pressure fault. This one is usually after a restart, the system still shows pressure when the dash thinks it shouldn't. That will through the service triangle. Since you have the one key that works and the user code, you can have the dash learn your original key, it may have forgotten it with all the power issues. The procedure to do that is in the Breva 1100 service manual (converted from a power point briefing) in the resources section. That manual also lists the fault codes.

Thank you both! I can't do the test with the meter today - my sons are helping me move from a large storage unit to a smaller one. I'll try testing the charging and re-initializing the original key tomorrow, and will report back.

John, you were correct - I was able to get the dash to relearn the original key.

Canuck1969 said:
To avoid all that, start the bike and go to the voltage readout on your menu. Will be close enough to see if you are generating power. What does it say when the bike is on but not running, and what does it say when the bike is idling.

I wasn't able to find a voltage readout on my menu... I have a cheap Harbor Freight mult-meter. Set it to A/C voltage 1000 (per it's instructions) and got 14 volts, both with the bike not running and with the bike idling.

Bike still coughs with the throttle open past idle.

Mike, likely just needs some basic reset parameters like TPS. Look forward to getting it straightened out for you.

Sounds that way to me too, Todd and, likewise, i'm looking forward to that also. Pls shoot me a note when it's a good time for you. Also, I'm going to check the spark plug wires, just to get that off the table. And RR just called and will be at my place in a couple of hours so we can check the aux fuses too.

Last edited:
John, you were correct - I was able to get the dash to relearn the original key.

Canuck1969 said:
To avoid all that, start the bike and go to the voltage readout on your menu. Will be close enough to see if you are generating power. What does it say when the bike is on but not running, and what does it say when the bike is idling.

I wasn't able to find a voltage readout on my menu... I have a cheap Harbor Freight mult-meter. Set it to A/C voltage 1000 (per it's instructions) and got 14 volts, both with the bike not running and with the bike idling.

Bike still coughs with the throttle open past idle.

Need to set the meter to DC not AC. Should not get the same voltage with the bike off and idle. If you do, you are not charging but I am pretty sure your voltage reading is not correct. Check again in DC mode. If for anything, practice.....might come in handy one day

That was a total brain fart during the post - meter was set in DC mode. Could be that the reading still isn't correct.

That was a total brain fart during the post - meter was set in DC mode. Could be that the reading still isn't correct.

Can't have the same voltage running and off...even for a lithium battery...again...unless you are not charging. I think you just have the wrong range on the meter. You said the manual said to set it to 1000...is that mV or V. If it is mV then increase your setting, if V, then decrease. You need to be in the 10 to 20vDC range. If it is them meter that I see on the internet then it is volts. Move it to 20 and try again.......for practice, because I promise you you will need to do it at some point. If anything you are learning something...Guzzi's tend to do that.

Back