• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

'14 Stone just dies

Wahoo650

Tuned and Synch'ed
Well, Hope some one else has had this very intermittent problem. My '14 V7 Stone will just die. Just the motor, like I hit the kill switch (didn't). Lights stay on, no check engine or codes and not a stumble and stall, just dead. Some times it will fire back up before I come to a stop with nothing done by me, other times have to coast to a stop and restart it. Sometimes takes a couple restarts to keep going. It's not from a bad vent, fixed that for the gas cap swoosh earlier. And plenty of gas, only 65 miles on todays tank. I've had the bike for about a year and a half, 5400+ miles. It does this very sporadically, like a month or more between occurrences. I replaced plug caps with the good NGKs last year. I had soot on plug heads, but never really had a running issue. I did have the vent problem periodically so I capped the vacuum port and removed the mooing cow in the vent line, which was full of gas when I took it off, not much venting going on there. Bike runs absolutely flawless otherwise. I'm thinking it's an electrical connection somewhere, so thought I'd ask before I start digging. Still have until August on my warranty, but if it isn't actively failing, not much to see. Hate to say it, but if I can't resolve may be a CB1100 in my future. I had a great long morning ride on her Sunday, hasn't done this since February, and boom - on the way to work this morning. Any one?

Check the fuel pump electrical connection. Check the fuel filter; some bikes have a filter that is half metal and half plastic. Replace it with a all metal while you are looking at it. Some of these filters swell and crack.
Do a fuel injector treatment: SeaFoam, Techtron, etc. My favorite is StarTron.

Dan

My bet is on a failing/failed fuel filter (inside the tank).

Fuel filter was next on my list of things to fix/replace anyway, so will hope for the best. It doesn't feel like a starvation issue though, and being so sporadic is strange too.

If it's intermittent, the TPS and valve lash adjust are critical, and if the throttle body has consumed oil, that will foul the idle/air intake tract. Do NOT attempt to clean it with anything though... as noted in the MIU ECU Download here on this site.

If it's intermittent, the TPS and valve lash adjust are critical, and if the throttle body has consumed oil, that will foul the idle/air intake tract. Do NOT attempt to clean it with anything though... as noted in the MIU ECU Download here on this site.

Since it was in the shop for another problem (vent tube was leaking oil at the head, covered under warranty), I went ahead and had it's 6,000 mile service done a bit early back in December. Service done at a very reputable MG dealer by the only tech I'd trust my bike to. Not to mention it's happened prior to and post service. Have never had more oil/mist present in air box than expected, never cleaned other than a quick wipe of bottom of box and air filter is always dry. She doesn't consume any oil so don't see that as a cause either. I did change the fuel filter Saturday (NAPA Gold 3032, $4.69) so we will see how it goes. No signs of splitting or leaking from the old one but it was a bit orange and bloated appearing. Have about 50 miles on it and no noticeable difference, but it may take a while to act up as it has in the past. While I had the tank off, checked all connections i could get to, none seemed loose or any signs of corrosion. Keeping my fingers crossed - I really do love the bike!

Back