RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - Be sure to check in on the GuzziTech Store, link/tab above. Thanks to your support, we will continue to bring to market our 100% Made-in-the-USA GT products here based on your input. Also note, we are subject to the delays of Italian made products this time of year, so thanks in advance for your patience on those orders... and PLEASE refrain from using the Contact form here to ask about your order Status, or questions best posted to the Forum or better yet, try a search. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something you’ve purchased from us. We do not have a phone number; We are online only. You will find us highly responsive via the Contact form with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future.
  2. Ciao Guest - Our Small Business discount... Now through December 15th, enjoy Free Priority Shipping (on most items) for any orders over $99 in our online Store linked above, use gtholidayfreeship99 code at checkout. We wish you the best for the Holiday Season.

1400 driveline issue

Discussion in 'New Gen Cali 1400 8V' started by groundhog105, Oct 10, 2017.

1. groundhog105

groundhog105 Tuned and Synch'ed

i am experiencing an issue in the transmission or driveline/ final drive that I have not experienced until this last 4 day tour. The 1400 has almost 22,000 miles and in the last 1000 miles while on a trip I noticed that when I would shift down and come to a stop and then while taking off in first gear I’m noticing a clunk in the drive line as I let out the clutch like there is slop in the drive line. You only notice it when taking off in first gear after coming to a stop. I have never noticed this before and want to know if anyone else has experienced this or if this is a problem I need to have a shop look at.
    Feedback I’d appreciated.

2. Trout

Trout High Miler

Get somebody to sit on the bike with it in first gear, with brake applied & let out the clutch (in other words reproduce the clunk) while you listen & observe.
    I would start at the rear then move forward & see if I could locate where the clunk is.
    If it's at the rear drive unit then I'd pull the wheel for a look see.

Also be aware of new vibrations, the old bikes would get a vibe in the right foot peg when the u-joints were going bad.

groundhog105 likes this.
  3. groundhog105

I will check this out. There is no vibration and I’m pretty sure the clunk Iswhen the slack in the in the drive shaft is taken up as the clutch is let out. I will check and post.

4. blakbird

blakbird Tuned and Synch'ed GT Famiglia

This might sound silly but, have you checked the brake pads?.

Recently I read a thread on a different forum where somebody was asking about how much play there should be in the buttons on a floating rotor, The buttons on his disk brakes were within tolerance, as specified in the service manual and by the manufacturer of the brake parts.

Eventually the poster figured out the clunk was due to a worn brake pad moving around in the caliper.

5. groundhog105

Thanks, I will check that.

6. groundhog105

Well, I tried for about 20 minutes to replicate the clunk that I was hearing and could not make it happen. So I’m just going continue on

7. Chet Van Aken

Chet Van Aken Just got it firing!

Have you looked at the rear drive? When I got mine serviced and had the rear tire changed at 10,000 miles the dealer noticed the flexible coupling disk and spring drive rubber had not been lubricated at the factory and were acutally gunky and rusty. I took a long time to get them off. This could be causing a clunk.

groundhog105 likes this.
  8. groundhog105

Thanks, I will look at that.

9. Eldo1400

Eldo1400 Tuned and Synch'ed

"This might sound silly but, have you checked the brake pads?."

This makes sense as a source of a some-time clunk while taking off, maybe a caliper binding rather than the pad?

10. groundhog105

Thanks I checked the pads and they were fine and secure. It was more like slop in the drive line but I’ve not been able to duplicate it since.

11. Trout

Trout High Miler

Good ol Guzzi's gotta keep you guessing.

12. Godfrey

Godfrey Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

I'm not familiar with the details of the 1400's drive line, but with my older Guzzis a clunk like that usually inspired me to pull the swingarm and check the condition of the driveshaft U-joint. They're pretty robust, but I had to replace the one in my LeMans at 38,000 miles ... Likely damaged due to extensive abuse by the owner. (I was a lot younger then... :angel: )​

John L likes this.
  13. jr1967

jr1967 Cruisin' Guzzisti

The bushings in the torque arm to the rear drive?

14. groundhog105

I’m going to check all that next time I have the rear wheel off. I’m still trying to recreate the same clunk.

15. Eldo1400

Eldo1400 Tuned and Synch'ed

"Thanks I checked the pads and they were fine and secure. It was more like slop in the drive line but I’ve not been able to duplicate it since."

Funny, I got a clunk in my driveline the other day and thought of this thread. Mine was due to the traction control cutting power for a millisecond when the back end caught a little air on the freeway. A very definite clunk, quite unusual. I'm thinking maybe if it lost traction starting off it might happen then, too?