• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

2017 V7 III Check Engine Light

AbnMike

Tuned and Synch'ed
Hey guys, new member and new owner of a 2017 V7 III (green and black). I have 450 miles on it and my check engine light comes on intermittently. Came on 2 weeks ago, then went off a day later. Came on 3 days ago, off the next day, just came on today.

The manual, p. 64 states that "In the event that the instrument cluster or the ECU detect a fault, the descriptions of the types of alarm will be shown on the display..."

Mine shows nothing of the type. The bike starts, stops, runs fine, accelerates fine.

My dealer is 1.5 hours away and I don't have any way to check this code. I'm just wondering if anyone has seen something similar?

Thanks

So it turns out it was a Lambda sensor? I'm guessing that's on 02 sensor. Sat there for a week while they ordered one.

And now the engine warning light is on again at 800 miles.

So much for moving into a new motorcycle to avoid maintenance issues and ride trouble free. What's the chance I can get them to take the damned thing back?

I empathize. The last bike I bought basically sat for three months while I worked on it constantly to make it work the way I wanted. I finally gave up, sold it for the V7III Racer, and have been more than just happy since.

Luck of the draw, I guess.

My engine light came on today after a 70 mile ride to a bad Mexican restaurant, I noticed it was on when I came out to leave, but didn't really think about it, figuring it would go out when I started riding. It didn't, so I stopped, checked the oil (which I do before every ride anyway) and it was fine, the bike was running great, so I went another 80 miles back home with the light on. Ran fine. Only thing I have done in the last 400 miles is the Evap hose mod and added the PCV bottle so oil doesn't go into air box. Got home, light still on, not overheated at all, oil checked fine. Not going 3 hours to my closest dealer as long as it's running fine. Probably cheaper and faster to just change the Lambda sensors on my own.

So, ordered 2 used O2 sensors from ebay for $50, replaced the right side one, my engine light is off.

So I have about 530 miles on mine in Houston. V7 III stone. The check engine light came on after sitting in heavy rush hour traffic. I can sense no issues with the bike mechanically. As someone suggested it's maybe because of the Houston weather. Should I wait or just go to the dealer?

Darth,

First of all congratulations for buying a superb bike at an outstanding dealer. Yeah, same experience with my new Special last July. On ride home after closing deal, about 27 miles, and hot/humid: check engine light. Next day I took the bike in, Brian and crew hooked to computer, concluded bike was fine, and reset light. Light has been on/off probably 3-4 times. Seems to be a correlation with high humidity/rain? Or not. Had my Special in for first maintenance about a month ago, they reset light and it has stayed off.

My advice: go in, and have them check the bike. Be sure it is not another problem. Brian told me they reported my sensor issue to Guzzi HQ and they requested more data. Your data may help solve a problem of some kind.

Enjoy the ride, be safe and if N is hard to find insist on a tweak. Made a huge difference with my bike. Be sure to do that first maintenance valve adjust and oil change/filter.

Are you in Houston?

cheers,
Greg

Yep I called my dealer and he said the new v7 III's are having faulty o2 sensors show up quite often.
Further data as requested- 2017 v7 stone III. 530 miles on the odo. Still in the break in phase. I was riding home in intense Houston traffic so I just assumed it was an oil temp issue. Seems mechanically perfect, running smooth although when I got home I heard like a whine even after I'd taken the key off. Kinda like a efi/ fuel pump whine during initial pre startup but repeating. Not sure what that is. I'll take it in and see what the real issue is tomorrow . Thanks for the prompt reply

So according to my dealer:

It's the left side (sidestand side) 02/Lambda sensor that is the problem. Condensation can occur in the pipe right there, which then trips the sensor. Initially it gave a code for my right side sensor, but on further discussion with Piaggio and after the second check engine light tripped it was determined that the initial right side sensor wasn't bad, it was the left side causing it to trip. The problem all along was the left sensor.

Dealer said that Piaggio is working on a fix that could involve moving the sensor on that side further up the pipe or in a different position to keep condensation from forming on it. No telling when that might be, etc, etc. Seems weird that not every bike is affected but could have to do with humidity, riding style, storage, and so on. It's enough of a problem that Piaggio is now aware of it however.

Update on the engine light- it turned off after I got home and let things cool out. Still going to the dealer to get this reported so piaggio can work on a fix. Someone posted in the other thread that it's usually the left sensor getting triggered due to condensation and piaggio knows the issue apparently.

Hopefully Guzzi will issue a fix for the left sensor. My light has done the on/off thing several times.

Would love to hear your bike with different cans. That change is on my list for 2018.

Yeah, I am open to a ride, probably in January...really swamped with holiday right now and family.

Experiencing the same problem on my V7iii Stone which I took delivery of on January 1st. Rode in the rain yesterday, turned it on this afternoon and the light was on. Rode fine for 20 minutes before I parked it. Will keep monitoring.

I am a new Guzzi owner ('17 V7 III Stone) and also had this issue today, i rode from Menifee CA to the Naval Base in San Diego for work, about a 65-70 mile ride at 5 AM, so it was pretty chilly, and when i arrived at the base and slowed to park, put her in Neutral, check engine light came on.. I didn't think too much of it and figured it would go off when i came out of work at 6 PM that night, but nope, still on, and there was nothing seemingly wrong. I rode the same 70 mile ride back with no issues and I'm not getting any messages on the display.

Perhaps unplugging those connections, both sides, and putting some electrical grease on the contacts would help prevent. The right side sensor was the culprit on my bike, and I greased up both sides. No issues since replacing it.

2017 V7 III Special.

297 miles, purchased brand new a month ago or so - check engine light came on today.
Went for a ride and no issues. Parked the bike for half an hour and the check engine light illuminated when I started it up to leave.

Pulled over and checked the oil and anything else I could thing of. Everything seemed fine, and it's running fine - except that the light won't go off. Rode it 8 miles home and parked it.

So anything new. My 17 has 4400 miles on it. I did three days of rain 700 miles total three days later I washed it then rode 50 miles. No light ever. Two hours later I started it to go home and I get the light. Makes no sense that there could be moisture getting to it now.

I've not yet had a check engine light come on.

I don't normally wash my motorcycle .. I wet a cloth to wipe it down and take the large bits of dirt off, then use a cleaner applied to a rag on the surfaces that need cleaning. It take a bit more time, but I don't like getting water into any of the electrical harness' connections if I can help it. (Of course, running on a rainy day would do that regardless ... :D)

G

Back