• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

6000 miles in 6 weeks.. V85TT

MoreCowbellRacing

Just got it firing!
baptism by fire for sure…. The good, bad, and ugly…after a cross country 6000 mile trek in 6 weeks on a brand new 2023 V85TT compliments of Motoplex Daytona…

Bike purchased new 8/13/2023

Prior long distance hauler is a 2013 GSA, mods were throttle lock, wind deflector and Wilbers ESA suspension..

Mods where limited to : taller OEM windscreen, wind deflector, center stand, Dorsoduro front fender, Fenda Extenda and a generic GPS mount…. that’s it

500 break in miles, oil/filter change

Journey started from Daytona with the intent of traveling to Cedar City Utah using as many 2 lane roads possible and minimize highway droning…

The good : comfortable seat after a few hundred miles, taller windscreen/deflector is a must, cruise control, Michelins not to bad as long as you limit them to fire roads and dirt paths..no single track. Gas mileage ranged from 45 mpg (Oklahoma head winds) to 67 mpg (Oklahoma tail wind)..average was @52mpg at @ 55-60 mph, using manual calculations via , Garmin GPS and Google Maps. Did not matter what octane level, ethanol/non ethanol… V85 managed a respectable 49 mpg with a passenger while sight seeing through Utah’s lesser attractions. Very neutral riding position, relaxed arms, shoulders and wrists ( I am 6’00 195 lbs). No plastic body panels to remove for cleaning….

The neutral : slight tire noise due to tread pattern, side cases a tad difficult to remove when loaded with gear. Mirrors are average. oil consumption was @3 ounces during the trip. Speedometer is optimistic by 4 mph..

The bad/ugly : both torx bolts used on the rear master cylinder were over torqued from Momma Moto Guzzi, the upper was broken off the lower was stripped…requiring a parking lot $5.00 repair in Helena Mississippi . Altitude wreaks havoc on our 76hp engine… significant power loss while crossing Dixie National Forest (@10k feet above sea level)

Considering I am a Ducati/ Aprilia/KTM fan and my go to long hauler is my GSA, I am pleasantly surprised how well the V85TT performed in just a brief time while racking up so many miles in a short period of time.. The greatest advantage over my GSA was @75lbs lighter, @1 inch lower and far superior gas mileage and truth be told after looking at a replacement 2023 GSA with a price tags of nearly $30k OTD I came to the conclusion that the GSA , like all BMWs , are grossly overpriced and not worth a nearly 100% premium for what amounts to a 10 year old platform with a dizzying host of electronic gimmicks…and as of 5 days ago, there is a “Stop Sales “ on all new /used BMWs in dealer stock….

BTW.. my V85TT with the OEM taller screen and center stand was @$15.5k. OTD .. that’s what smart money buys..

This week the engine , gear box, final drive oils will be drained/changed(filter) with samples of each sent to Blackstone labs for analysis. Spark plugs and valve lash will be checked,…

IMG 5576

Last edited:
follow up : all oils/filter drained and changed..
aside from the gear box/final drive oil being virtually jet black ( moly added at factory) the engine oil looked suprisingly "clear" with virtually no "fluff" on the magnetic drain plug.
Valve lash on 3/4 valves was well within spec, right bank exhaust valve needed a very minimal adjustment.

Buuuuut, the right bank spark plug electrode was slightly "askew".. ...a check of the gap revealed that Guido at the factory gapped it at .25mm instead of the spec'd .8mm. New plugs installed....

Piaggio's newest Florida dealer, MotoPlex Daytona is having their ribbon cutting /grand opening this Thursday.. apparently various mover/shakers in the Paiggio Group will be in attendance. The General Manager of MotoPlex Daytona contacted me and advised a "rep" from the Piaggio Group wishes to speak to me concerning my thoughts of the V85 and it's many miles is a relatively short life. If this is indeed true.. any question from this group I should ask ?

Last edited:
Sounds like a great trip!
Which windshield extender do you have? I have the short screen on my Centenario but ordering the OEM touring screen.
I am 5-11 and from what I find online, sounds like I'll need/want an extender for highway.

I solved the problem of the top case and side cases being difficult to remove and carry by purchasing the fitted liners so I just take the liners into the hotel room each night. The luggage normally stays on the bike and I only use the liners for traveling to minimize wear of the fabric.

Back