• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Ambo sump full of gas!

DesertRat

Just got it firing!
My Ambo sat for about 3 months and evidently I had a leaking petcock. Unaware of this I rode the bike about 20 miles. It ran fine and nothing seemed off.
Coincidentally it was time for an oil change. When I opened the fill an absolute geyser of fuel/oil mix shot out of the crankcase. There must have been a couple of quarts of extra liquid.

I changed the oil and hoped for the best. Since, I have another hundred or so miles on it. Nothing obvious happening beyond some fine sludge collecting on a magnet on the dipstick that is not obviously metallic but is collecting and I might be imagining a faint rumble at real low engine speeds ( I’m not positive it wasn’t there before though). My concern is the big end bearings of course but maybe there is some engine experience out there that would give me some hope.

And I replaced the peacocks.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks in advance

Well, that's one way to clean out the insides of the engine, right?
I would do the following to ensure all gas/solvent is out of the engine (standard oil changes leave plenty of old fluids in the crooks and crannies and gullies) : 1) if this was the first oil change after the incident, change oil/filter using cheapest proper weight oil and drive just a coupla miles. Then change oil/filter to good grade stuff.
2) Since you already changed it (a hundred miles), just change oil and filter again (see #3).
3) Of course, listen for knocks and ticks. If that starts, maybe go to a higher viscosity oil.
4) Dont worry. If any damage was done, it was done. Dont do a rebuild, because i think if something calamitous occurred, you would already have gotten notice.

Keep us informed.
Thanks.

I recommend dropping the pan and get any remaining sludge out. If it is picked up it could clog an oil passage since there is no oil filter, just a screen. Then just run it with the appropriate oil, but I would do a couple early changes at about 2K each then you can extend based on condition of the oil. I good synthetic should be good for about 5K miles.

Even if the petcock was left on or leaked, the float needle should have prevented it from happening. Might be time for a carb refresh.

I had a customer's Eldorado that the same thing happened to - it did not end well for him. Total engine rebuild.

I am no seer, but i will bet you will be ok with several (2) oil changes. (I forgot in my previous comment that the Guzzi just had a screen filter. )
These engines are tough.
I would make sure you drive it a few dozen miles to ensure that any steel parts inside the engine are recoated with oil, as the solvent effect of the gas can wash everything down and make them susceptible to oxidation/rust and then particles.

If you MUST be OCD, drop the pan and inspect/replace all the bearings on the crank with same-sized bearings. The softer metal of the bearings should absorb any wear before due the harder steel crankshaft.

One last thing: It is fairly common practice among older mechanics to add 20% of oil volume as diesel fuel to engines just before oil changes (idle engine 10 to 15 minutes, then drain). This is done to wash down crud inside engine. While not exactly comparable to gas, diesel is a solvent and has the same solvent effect as gas.

Thanks for all the comments. I agree that the float needle should have prevented this, they seem fine but are on the list.

The 1st oil change oil looks nasty already , I used Rotella which I believe is pretty high detergent, combined with the gas wash probably contributing to the cruddiness.

Is it possible to replace the big end bearings with the engine in place?

I kind of like the suggestion to drop the sump, that and another oil change might provide some longer term clarity.

To replace the front bearing the engine needs to be on the bench. Also you will need to measure the crankshaft ends to determine the correct size bearing to install. It may be necessary to turn the crankshaft journals and big ends if there is damage. Hopefully that won't be necessary, but only time will tell.

A couple of notes and thanks again for the comments.

I dropped to pan and it was remarkably clean of sludge and no metallic debris. There were a couple small
Pieces of gravel , which was weird.
Removed the carbs and checked both float levels and the needle valve. They looked ok and worked but I’m replacing anyway.
No bad noises, found a broken generator mount, I think that was most of the rumble noise.

Of course when I got it all back together it has a nasty miss on the right bank. Oh well, weather is too nice for riding. Much better for working on bikes…

Back