• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

any opinions V7 III 6 speed transmission, dodgy N ?

lucydad

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Famiglia
All,

I should have posted this with the ABS braking question, apologies.

When I test rode a 2017 V7 III Stone last Saturday, I found the updated transmission to be very different from my 2012 V7R. Smoother, definitely, but I also found N to be difficult to find.

Perhaps it was rider issues as I was not used to the large pegs and different geometry. However, at the end of the ride, it took me a good minute to find N before shutting down the bike.

Any comments from the V7 six-speed updated transmission owners and riders? Is it just me, or is this new 6-speed a bit awkward? Thanks!

I had a '13 V7 Stone (5-sp) and then got a '16 V7II Stone (6-sp). There is a big difference in how the 2 gearboxes feel and shift. Importantly, the 6-sp box has a much smaller pedal throw. I, too, often missed N until I got used to the smaller movement required. But I eventually got used to it and now I rarely miss N. It's also important to make sure the clutch lever play is correctly adjusted, because if the clutch doesn't disengage completely, more force is required to shift, which can cause pedal overshoot. Hope this helps.

Note for all reading this... Guzzi's take ~10k miles for everything work even better than you thought it could. That said, it is also CRITICAL for the clutch cable slack to be set correctly on all V7s. If you have ANY issues with shifting, it is likely a poor adjustment (too tight) of the clutch cable. When new, it will require frequent adjustment until everything beds-in.

Below is a pic of what happens to the throwout bearings and shims (along with a hammered pushrod and cup) if you don't have it set correctly. The bike below has <2500 miles on it (MY14 V7 R). I've done an entire clutch on a MY13 with 10k on it because of this as well.

V7ToB Demise

You guys covered it. But I was just going to say that in my experience it just plain doesn't take much for a smallblock clutch to be just out of adjustment enough to make finding N difficult.

I actually adjusted the clutch on the side of the road with two different brand new demo bikes over the years (B750, V7 Stone).

And yes, as sceptical as I was about long term break-in, my V7 changed dramatically in feel over the first couple of thousand miles and I suspect was different still after the first 10k.

So it wouldn't surprise or trouble me at all.

Thanks guys, very helpful! It is possible the V7 III demo Stone needed a clutch adjustment. These bikes lead a pretty rugged life I suspect, hauled around, lots of different riders, etc.

When I bought my new 2012 V7R from MPH in Houston, Todd Haven took me aside and advised me. Quote: "don't abuse it, be sure to get it here for expert maintenance, watch oil level, and it takes 10,000 miles to break in". He was right on all accounts.

Well, I am riding to talk numbers with our new Guzzi dealer this morning. Objective is an out the door price for 2017 V7 Special in blue, and trade my V7R. They already said they want my bike. I don't expect much for it, but it will make a very fine machine for somebody if we make the deal.

Good luck man... You won't be disappointed.

I picked up another new bike today, but nothing of particular interest to this crowd.

Kev,

Thanks, rode the V7R into dealer today ready to work numbers. Manager got called away, but his staff looked my bike over and said they "want a first generation small block". They are into modifications and customization projects. Also, a call into Guzzi HQ (distributor?) revealed they are sold out V7 III Specials, and next deck expected late June. Patience is my friend, it will happen sometime June. Apparently the new V7 III model is selling well--much better than the V9s.

New bikes are fun! Enjoy!

I've only adjust my clutch once since new 8000ks but my bike doesn't see a lot of city riding:)
No problems with finding neutral gearbox shifts smooth as.
Ok Kev what bike did you get?

LD, you're a better man than I, but continued good luck.

Jeff, went to demo some new Harleys, had every intent of discouraging myself from another BT and ordering a new Roadster CX.

BUT, noticed a new/leftover 2016 Police RK and when a casual request for numbers turned into a hard core negotiation I couldn't turn down the final numbers.

I think I've got a thing for white bikes.

cfb219bb97e032de72871b7b1b112976.jpg

7115195ff99a07dd2ba48f611cb7a7af.jpg

Kev,
Congratulations! That is a real beauty. I have a buddy that lives in Powell, WY. He turned 90,000 miles on his RK, they are fantastic machines. Love the white. I get being attracted by certain colors. The blue V7 III Special grabbed me first time I saw a picture.
Ride safe! Yeah, patient here, but I have a ten day Alaska trip to distract me coming up starting June 1.

Kev,
Congratulations! That is a real beauty. I have a buddy that lives in Powell, WY. He turned 90,000 miles on his RK, they are fantastic machines. Love the white. I get being attracted by certain colors. The blue V7 III Special grabbed me first time I saw a picture.
Ride safe! Yeah, patient here, but I have a ten day Alaska trip to distract me coming up starting June 1.

Thx man!

That blue is really stunning. I totally get it. I get stuck on certain colors too and blue is one of them.

I actually THOUGHT I was going to order a 2018 Blue/Silver CX, go figure. But I've been talking about my old RK for nearly 20 years now (It was an EVO I bought new in the 90s and sold when I had my first kid, foolishly keeping a BMW Oilhead that I never really bonded with).

Of course I think the blue on the V7 III is even nicer than the Blue Harley is going to use for 2018.

Can't wait to see/hear more...

I need to talk to my dealer again this week to see if I can firm up details. As I understand it now, MG USA is "out" of the blue V7 III Specials...more available "sometime" June....

Back