RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. NOTICE: The online Store here at GT has been fully migrated over to GTMotoCycles.com. You will need a new password to get into the Store system, so we will send an email to all existing customers on how to do so on open orders. The final stages of this GuzziTech website, will be stripped down to the Forum and Resources only. It will be kept as is now, with the utmost care and monitoring. As always, zero tolerance on personal attacks and off-site links to competing products. Understand that this is a privately paid for website, not a free social media platform littered with ads to help pay for it. Donations appreciated via the Account upgrade or the Donate tab above. In a few short years we'll hit the 20 year mark of providing advice and tech tips for free.

Audace - fluttering noise from engineF

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by Stuart Johnstone, May 10, 2018.

1. Stuart Johnstone

Stuart Johnstone Just got it firing!

Just under 3000 km done on and there is a noise which can be described between ticking/fluttering coming from Motor mainly between 3000-5000 rpm and only after engine is warm. Any Thoughts?

thanks Stuart

2. PaulDavies

PaulDavies Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Site Contributor!

you'll need to give us more to go on than "fluttering", can you record it or put it on youtube ?

3. Stuart Johnstone

Thanks for responding Paul - unfortunately Bike in with the dealer at the moment so wont be able to record it just now. Very difficult to describe a sound I appreciate as one persons fluttering is another's thumping. It is however a very distinctive "ticking" sound which is more prominent after running for a while and more so between 3000 and 5000 rpm. After 5000 rpm it either disappears or blends into other engine sounds. The flutter/ticking only started around 2200 km on the bike which had been a very quiet motor up until then. It seems to have progressively got louder though. Already been into the dealer once and they seemed to head straight toward tappets and adjust4d these but not helped much. Only one Guzzi Dealer in the country and they don't deal with many Guzzis either so nothing seems to be jumping out at them either. Been with them for over a week now. Cheers

4. Stuart Johnstone

Further update from Dealer

• Firstly did an oil change to the recommended 10W60 oil which made very little to no difference
    • Then checked valve clearance once more and they all were on the mark except for one which was a little on the bigger side.
    • After all of this they found that the hydraulic cam lifters seemed to be noisy at certain RPM ranges, especially on the RH cylinder head exhaust side.
    • Once all the covers were removed they were able to hear it more clearly.
    • Subsequently they checked the part number of these hydraulic lifters and noticed that the original part number has been superseded which would indicate that the old parts might have been problematic hence the reason why my Guzzi might be getting noisy.
    • They are in the process of doing a warranty claim on these units

5. V700Steve

V700Steve Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Lifters are not hydraulic but the chain tensioner is, sounds like the issue. Only 1 dealer? Are they also the importer?

Stuart Johnstone likes this.
  6. Stuart Johnstone

Thanks V700 - Yes they are the importer/dealer and no one else in the country "accredited" to work on the bike.

7. PaulDavies

Looking at the 1400 Workshop manual (see below), they show "hydraulic tappets with rollers" which could be the source of the problem if they are not filling with oil properly. Strangely enough I have reported a similar noise " ticking" on the RHS (only) head at certain rpms e.g 2500, 3500 etc. (http://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/not-your-usual-valve-clearance-question.17546/#post-133009) I wonder if this explains the issue I have experienced. It's not particularly loud, but it is noticeable. I've got 13000 km on mine now and it's never got any louder

Hydraulic Tappets.JPG .

8. V700Steve

Don't care what book says, they are solid forks not hydraulic otherwise you would not have to adjust every 6Kmi. AND they are the same part no as the 1200 roller kit, that's solid rollers. I have swapped out lots of roller kits and never saw any hydraulics in a 8V.

GT-Rx® likes this.
  9. PaulDavies

If you've done it then I totally believe you :). In fact just found a YouTube video that Pete Roper put up on a 8v roller cam strip and it does show them as solid. It wouldn't be the first time the manual is wrong (cut and paste job). Stuart - I would be interested to hear the final verdict on the warranty, what was changed, whether it was fixed etc.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  10. V700Steve

I helped get the original warranty time and make the 1st flattie tech bulletin in 09. There has been an updated chain tensioner I remember.
    The Cali14 has all the latest stuff in it, usually a stone axe.

11. Stuart Johnstone

Will let you know the outcome on the warranty Steve and thanks to you and Paul for the various comments which certainly have helped and which I have also shared with the workshop (dealer)

12. Johnap

Johnap Tuned and Synch'ed

Hi
    What was the outcome. Was it the chain tensioner? Has the ticking been resolved. What was the cause.

13. Stuart Johnstone

Hi - Thanks for the interest. I only received the Bike back this last Saturday. Endless waiting for the part (lifters) to arrive. Anyway they replaced the lifters and I had a look at the old lifters when collecting the bike which showed some signs of quite light surface scruffing but there nevertheless. Bike is running well - and I have yet to take it for a long run. Still "the usual engine noise" though and more so as oil reaches operating temperature. I have not heard the fluttering noise I first heard yet so perhaps this was the issue although the mechanic mentioned that the tensioners " could be a factor contributing to the noise but that unfortunately as these are hydraulic units that are situated inside the engine, they cannot be replaced by manual units like on most Japanese or German motorcycles.

14. Guzzi_Lou

Guzzi_Lou Cruisin' Guzzisti

These engines/bikes make all types of noises so I'm not sure I'd ever be able to distinguish the clacking from the ticking from the fluttering from the chattering from the … well you get the idea. :)

John L likes this.
  15. Johnap

The reason I ask is because I think my 2016 Audace does the same tick sound from the left side. No ticking sound at idle. It picks up with revs and then either disappears or blends in up at the top end. I usually only notice it when the bike is hot. Also I think it happens under power but not deceleration.

The valves were set about 2000km ago by a Guzzi dealer. Although that is no guarantee they are right. However the tick does not match the rpm, so I assume it's not excessive tapet clearance

So are you saying your dealer replaced the lifters based on the ticking sound. Also you need to ride a little more to determine if the ticking sound has been resolved.

Also the chain tensioner is not really replaceable as it means tearing down the motor.

Thanks

16. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Any chance you have an exhaust leak? This might sound like "fluttering" for some listeners.

17. Johnap

Yes it may be. I am having a local Guzzi mechanic listen and ride it on the weekend. I have gonover and tightened every bolt/nut on the exhaust. My issue sounds pretty much the same ad Stewarts above. I am interested on his outcome.