RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? Lucky you... see our Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. Otherwise, be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GT products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. You will get shipping info when your order goes out. PLEASE refrain from emaling about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out. Most questions are answered on the Forum; Be sure to try a search and post there. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number; We are online only. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our custom builds at GTMotoCycles.com or click the Service tab above.

Audace - fluttering noise from engineF

Discussion in 'New Gen Cali 1400 8V' started by Stuart Johnstone, May 10, 2018.

1. Stuart Johnstone

Stuart Johnstone Just got it firing!

Just under 3000 km done on and there is a noise which can be described between ticking/fluttering coming from Motor mainly between 3000-5000 rpm and only after engine is warm. Any Thoughts?

thanks Stuart

2. PaulDavies

PaulDavies Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Site Contributor!

you'll need to give us more to go on than "fluttering", can you record it or put it on youtube ?

3. Stuart Johnstone

Thanks for responding Paul - unfortunately Bike in with the dealer at the moment so wont be able to record it just now. Very difficult to describe a sound I appreciate as one persons fluttering is another's thumping. It is however a very distinctive "ticking" sound which is more prominent after running for a while and more so between 3000 and 5000 rpm. After 5000 rpm it either disappears or blends into other engine sounds. The flutter/ticking only started around 2200 km on the bike which had been a very quiet motor up until then. It seems to have progressively got louder though. Already been into the dealer once and they seemed to head straight toward tappets and adjust4d these but not helped much. Only one Guzzi Dealer in the country and they don't deal with many Guzzis either so nothing seems to be jumping out at them either. Been with them for over a week now. Cheers

4. Stuart Johnstone

Further update from Dealer

• Firstly did an oil change to the recommended 10W60 oil which made very little to no difference
    • Then checked valve clearance once more and they all were on the mark except for one which was a little on the bigger side.
    • After all of this they found that the hydraulic cam lifters seemed to be noisy at certain RPM ranges, especially on the RH cylinder head exhaust side.
    • Once all the covers were removed they were able to hear it more clearly.
    • Subsequently they checked the part number of these hydraulic lifters and noticed that the original part number has been superseded which would indicate that the old parts might have been problematic hence the reason why my Guzzi might be getting noisy.
    • They are in the process of doing a warranty claim on these units

5. V700Steve

V700Steve Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Lifters are not hydraulic but the chain tensioner is, sounds like the issue. Only 1 dealer? Are they also the importer?

Stuart Johnstone likes this.
  6. Stuart Johnstone

Thanks V700 - Yes they are the importer/dealer and no one else in the country "accredited" to work on the bike.

7. PaulDavies

Looking at the 1400 Workshop manual (see below), they show "hydraulic tappets with rollers" which could be the source of the problem if they are not filling with oil properly. Strangely enough I have reported a similar noise " ticking" on the RHS (only) head at certain rpms e.g 2500, 3500 etc. (http://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/not-your-usual-valve-clearance-question.17546/#post-133009) I wonder if this explains the issue I have experienced. It's not particularly loud, but it is noticeable. I've got 13000 km on mine now and it's never got any louder

Hydraulic Tappets.JPG .

8. V700Steve

Don't care what book says, they are solid forks not hydraulic otherwise you would not have to adjust every 6Kmi. AND they are the same part no as the 1200 roller kit, that's solid rollers. I have swapped out lots of roller kits and never saw any hydraulics in a 8V.

GT-Rx® likes this.
  9. PaulDavies

If you've done it then I totally believe you :). In fact just found a YouTube video that Pete Roper put up on a 8v roller cam strip and it does show them as solid. It wouldn't be the first time the manual is wrong (cut and paste job). Stuart - I would be interested to hear the final verdict on the warranty, what was changed, whether it was fixed etc.

Last edited: May 15, 2018 at 11:35 AM
  10. V700Steve

I helped get the original warranty time and make the 1st flattie tech bulletin in 09. There has been an updated chain tensioner I remember.
    The Cali14 has all the latest stuff in it, usually a stone axe.

11. Stuart Johnstone

Will let you know the outcome on the warranty Steve and thanks to you and Paul for the various comments which certainly have helped and which I have also shared with the workshop (dealer)