• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Bad Problem with Guzzi Stelvio NTX Aux Lamps

leafman60

Cruisin' Guzzisti
The new Stelvio NTX comes standard with halogen Hella Micro DE auxiliary lamps mounted on the crash bars and many of them have a problem that can leave a rider stranded.

The internal wiring of the lamps can short-out and cause the entire charging circuit to shut-down. Once you run the charge out of your battery, you are stranded.

The problem is simple and the fix is not difficult.

A single power wire and a ground enters the metal lamp body from the rear through a slip-on rubber boot. This wire should have its excess coiled up inside the rubber boot and NOT stuffed inside the metal lamp housing as is usually the case.

IMG_1575.jpg

The instructions from Hella clearly indicate this. See page 5 of the installation instructions here:

http://www.myhellalights.com/index.php/ ... de-series/

Even though the internal lamp power wire is protected by a substantial conduit shield, vibration WILL wear through the conduit and the wire insulation and the wire will short to the lamp housing if the lamps are powered on.

IMG_1578.jpg

Apparently, Guzzi has these aux lamps wired directly into the main power circuit and NOT separately fused. When the lamps short-out, they pull-down the entire charging circuit and this will blow the main 30 amp charging circuit fuse designed to protect the main circuit. This will break the circuit from the alternator to the battery. The battery will no longer receive a charge and, as soon as it is depleted, you are dead on the side of the road.

The fix is simple. In an emergency situation, just turn off or disconnect the aux lamps. Replace the blown fuse and get home to fix the lamp short if you cannot work where you are stranded.

The relevant fuse is NOT this one under the seat-
IMG_1567.jpg

The main charging system fuse that you want to check is behind this cover held in place by three screws on the right side of the bike-
IMG_1560.jpg

This is the main charging fuse and a spare is provided in the holder-
IMG_1564.jpg

To fix a shorted lamp or to PREVENT THIS FROM HAPPENING, remove the rubber boot from the rear of the lamps. Pull out the wiring and repair any chafed insulation. Splice together any wire breaks or worn conductor and make sure the wires have good shielding around them.

Slipping rubber material or tape up inside the metal lamp body may provide extra protection against chafing the wires. Coil the excess wiring inside the rubber boot and not inside the metal housing, as the Hella instructions indicate, as you push the rubber cap boot back in place.

You can make an emergency repair on the road but later, better attention to this issue will prevent repeat problems.

I plan to install a separate fuse in the aux lamp circuit, maybe individual fuses on each lamp, to prevent a problem here from taking out the entire charging circuit.

More pics to come.

Leafman, here's one way to skin that cat:

It's easier to work on the problem if you take off the side panels by the gas tank. Then you can clearly see the connection from wiring harness to aux light:
IMG_0383-M.jpg

This is with the left panel removed. Note that the harness has two color coded wires, blue is the ground. The aux wires are both black :( . I spliced into the positive lead on the aux lamp side (this is the one that goes to the yellow wire) and inserted a fuze holder.
IMG_0384-M.jpg

The aux lamp comes with a very long connection wire so there is lots of room for this splice. In fact, there is so much wire that this is a good time to make sure the wire is secured well away from stuff like the exhaust. That's particularly important on the right side, where the exhaust is closer to the frame tubes that are used to secure the wire.
IMG_0385-M.jpg

I wrapped the splice even though all the connections were water proof marine grade shrink wrapped.

I put 7.5A fuzes in each. Everything works!

Well Guys,
I guess it was inevitable. Now that I'm settled in at my friend Pete's for a couple of weeks and with him having a nice brand new clean garage and me having a nice, brand new battery, (whew, is that a mouthful? :lol: ) I thought I would get down to a bit of body and windshield alignment. Dropping one of the bolts into the skid plate I said, damn and resigned myself to removing a couple of the plate bolts to get at it. That's when I noticed this:
IMG_2284_zps5aba0abe.jpg

And then this:
IMG_2285_zps315c54fe.jpg

And this:
IMG_2286_zps499a3e6d.jpg

Interest peaked, I checked the right side and found this:
IMG_2287_zps526a59f3.jpg

Now burned out wires in that one, yet.
On the left side light you can actually see it burned right thru the housing.
I will be heading up to Tuscon for a full service when I leave here in a couple of weeks and will be inquiring if this is yet another warranty issue.
Toad.

Bugger ! Good job you spotted that in the comfort of a garage rather than at the roadside... I lost confidence in my O/E lamps and fitted some LED's, hopefully no more bulbs to change.

When this tread started I checked mine and found nothing at that point, making a mental note to deal with the badly crammed wiring harness at a more convenient date. That was several thousand miles ago and I guess I put it out of my mind. I don't really wanna touch anything until a certified dealership sees it so I'll just do a little taping up till that point. Don't really ride at night so as far as I am concerned a total disconnect is in the cards.

Toad,

Been there, done that over and over.....Broken wires, broken brackets, blown fuses, arc welded inners, dead generator becuase of the fuses....list goes own

Best fix is a replacement. Installed Denali's on mine and never looked back...........

I assume the internal wiring in the housing chaffs due to vibration. Is a liberal glob of silicone caulking enough to hold those wires and protect them from movement? Heat will not bother the silicone. The wiring cannot chaff and as long as the stuff is not tooled down you should be able to open the housing.

Broken brackets are another fix.

Phil

I think the problem is there is way too much wire in there, crammed and bent over that way. But even with shortened wire the broken mounts show just how much vibration there is.

While riding last week I noticed a lack of left side reflection in the car in front of me, so I turned the aux lamps off. When I stopped I checked the lamp and found a burn mark on the insulation. Does the "warranty fix" just splice the wire to allow it to happen again? Or do they actually fix it? I'm just curious if it's worth the effort to file a claim, only to keep having the problem.

On a side note I changed the turn signals out and I am totally happy with it. Pictures do not do it justice. The fairing signals are sweet.

alxpwl said:
While riding last week I noticed a lack of left side reflection in the car in front of me, so I turned the aux lamps off. When I stopped I checked the lamp and found a burn mark on the insulation. Does the "warranty fix" just splice the wire to allow it to happen again? Or do they actually fix it? I'm just curious if it's worth the effort to file a claim, only to keep having the problem.

On a side note I changed the turn signals out and I am totally happy with it. Pictures do not do it justice. The fairing signals are sweet.

Dealer will probably just try to fix it but no guarantee that it will not happen again. Just get rid of them before they leave you stranded. Others have installed a fuse in line to prevent it from blowing the generator fuse but the original problem is still there. They cannot withstand the vibrations on the bars. Eventually the brackets will break and the lights will short out again (at least that was my experience and a few others).

Just replace them. I went with Denali's, others have found other options.

Okay...I just got stranded on Sunday by the same problem :oops: . I've been checking the wiring routinely but still got bit. I've gutted the lights for now and made the wiring safe so it can't blow the charging fuse again. I'm also carrying a set of jumper cables cuz these beasts are tough to push-start. Now I'm shopping for new lights. Man, there's a lot to choose from. I've heard mention of Denalis but no specific model. I was looking at the new KC Cube Spots but they must be too new for any feedback. Anybody have a strong recommendation one way or the other? I'd prefer to go with LED but I'm open for suggestions. Thanks!

azguzzintx, whatever you do...put a fuze in each light wiring circuit so you never get stranded again. Even with LED lights there is a slim chance for an electrical problem that will blow that 30A fuze and leave you stranded on the side of the road...in the dark...in the snow...with a pack of hungry wolves nearby. OK, maybe not the wolves.

I like the AdvMonster lights, small but bright. http://stores.advmonster.com/StoreFront.bok

Peter Y.

azguzzintx said:
Okay...I just got stranded on Sunday by the same problem :oops: . I've been checking the wiring routinely but still got bit. I've gutted the lights for now and made the wiring safe so it can't blow the charging fuse again. I'm also carrying a set of jumper cables cuz these beasts are tough to push-start. Now I'm shopping for new lights. Man, there's a lot to choose from. I've heard mention of Denalis but no specific model. I was looking at the new KC Cube Spots but they must be too new for any feedback. Anybody have a strong recommendation one way or the other? I'd prefer to go with LED but I'm open for suggestions. Thanks!

I have (and love) the Clearwater's.

Sucks about getting stranded. Was lucky with mine and happen to be on the voltage readout on the dash when it happened because I was wearing heated gear (habit from being bit before). Was only 20 minutes from home after a 800km day.

Denali D1....the original ones. The D2's are more expensive and IMHO not worth the extra money. I installed them on my Stelvio and never looked back. They come with a distance lens and a fog lens. I switched it out to the fog lens to give me more light closer to the bike in a wider field. The headlights on the Stelvio are more than enough for distance. Don't need the wiring harness that comes with it. Just wire them directly to the aux light wires. You will need to change out the plugs on the bike to match the Denali plug. Just snip them off the harness and splice them in.

Peter,
I'm going for those aux lights when I pick up my bike from Todd at. hopefully, the end of April.
What I find odd tho, is when mine burned right thru the light body, why didn't it ever blow the main fuse? :?: The Stelvio mystery deepens. Maybe it was just Big Gal being nice to me for me being so nice to her. :D
But, safer than sorrier, (sorry BG) I will have Todd wire in fuses.

Toadride (Doug), I'm guessing that you were just lucky that your wires burned out before they blew the 30A fuze. That's one problem with that large fuze, you can still create a real mess in the wiring without drawing 30A. I think my lights are fuzed with 5A now, might even be as little as 3A since they draw so little current. If you go with the ones I am using you will find that they are quite small. Fear not, I have been assured that the lights are quite bright and really make the bike more visible.

It sounds like you have not gotten out to test them yet, Peter. I guess finding darkness in the big city is harder than going around the block. :lol: Wouldn't mind knowing if they really show up or not tho. I would be buying them with a bit of dismay about the brackets. They look pretty wimpy and would prolly make up something a little heftier from bar stock. Stainless maybe.

I have to ask,

With all the problems these Aux lights seem to be posing, are they really that necessary on the bike? It's has twin headlights already, they aren't enough?

It seems like they aren't worth the trouble. My first impression was just yank them and be done with it.

danketchpel said:
I have to ask,

With all the problems these Aux lights seem to be posing, are they really that necessary on the bike? It's has twin headlights already, they aren't enough?

It seems like they aren't worth the trouble. My first impression was just yank them and be done with it.l

I use aux lights on bike to be seen, not necessarily to see. The headlights on the Stelvio are stellar and don't really need additional lights to light up the road, however, the addition of aux lighting, especially in a triangular pattern, make you stand out on the road. To me, it is more defense than offense and would not ride without them.

canuck1969 said:
danketchpel said:
I have to ask,

It seems like they aren't worth the trouble. My first impression was just yank them and be done with it.l

I use aux lights on bike to be seen, not necessarily to see. The headlights on the Stelvio are stellar and don't really need additional lights to light up the road, however, the addition of aux lighting, especially in a triangular pattern, make you stand out on the road. To me, it is more defense than offense and would not ride without them.

Same here..... visibilitymore than anything....

Back