• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Brake Lever pulling in harder by accident w/ downshift rev match and Short stubby fingers?? V7 Stone

TimmyTheHog

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
I think my fingers are too short to downshift rev match without accidentally pull in the brake lever even harder.

Basically as the weather is FINALLY getting better and FINALLY got my bike from the shop, I went out for a lovely ride.

Everything went okay as I am still getting familiar with the bike until I try to downshift rev match.

When I was trying to downshift and rev match, I noticed that I keep on pulling my brake lever harder during Rev matching because my fingers are too short!!!!

This caused me to brake harder by accident as I was revving up the engine when the clutch is pulled in....scary moments as the car behind me almost got caught off guard.

ALSO, I noticed I had to twist my throttle quite a bit to rev up the engine, maybe a good 3/4"~1" twist, to match instead of just a blip twist, maybe 1/4"~1/2" twist, i had with my other bikes...anyone else had to twist that much?

Has any body else noticed this? I heard about adjustable lever MIGHT solve the accident pull...but I can't seem to find the threads within this forum...either that or I am not awake yet.

whelp?

Since you are experiencing this, keep your fingers away from the brake lever. Put all of them on the throttle and problem is solved. Or, straighten the two fingers over the brake lever so it doesn't engage when you roll on the throttle.

hmmm...okay..

I also had been told by others that I shouldn't be braking while blipping...and should already done braking already?

man, I am starting to doubt my own motorcycle skills now...lol

There is a technique for doing that, but it is primarily for race track use. It takes a great deal of practice to master the technique. It involves allowing your fingers to slide over the brake lever while using the throttle but the pressure applied is low. My suggestion is to learn good throttle control before you try combining. When I ride I hardly use brakes. Good throttle control, especially with the engine braking you can get from a Guzzi, can make for smooth and quick rides. Usually you downshift before braking, or for now separate the actions. Are there any track schools in your area where you can get instruction on these techniques and get to practice on a track/controlled environment?

Ya, I have no formal training except being taught by a few track fanatic friends for this technic.

I did use this technic for a while when I was riding my cruiser for a few years.

I have been thinking taking up advance lessons for track/advance skill training as there are a few near by My area within 2 hrs ride....money and life event permitted.

The guz engine braking is so effective sometimes it surprised me lol....That is why I want the brake light to show up other I risk of rear ender....

Well, guess my stubby fingers and informal training has contributed to this...@"@

I guess for now I will leave the rev matching off the road unless have to.

Thanks for the honest reply :)

hmmm...okay..

I also had been told by others that I shouldn't be braking while blipping...and should already done braking already?

man, I am starting to doubt my own motorcycle skills now...lol

Having taught the California Motorcycle Safety Program for 11 years, I'm going to give you my HONEST answer - Do with it as you will.

Timmy, this is no laughing matter. It was painful reading your original post. You need to quit deluding yourself about taking advanced lessons - you're not there by any stretch of the imagination. If you seriously think a different lever is the solution to your issue, well...you need to go take a formal basic motorcycle riding course before you hurt yourself or somebody else. You are evidently lacking of the fundamentals of motorcycle riding. Motorcycling is an awesome sport, but only the foolish think that they will get better just by riding more or buying another part for your bike. Trust me, you don't. You only get better with being trained in the fundamentals of riding, and then practicing those techniques over and over again until they become second nature. Once those fundamentals are solid, then advanced training will be of benefit. I would recommend Keith Code Superbike School. I've gone through his California Superbike School several times and they were all worth every dime. Best wishes and Be Safe out there!

Here's a video from Keith's You Tube page showing smooth, precise, throttle control (blipping) while braking pressure has already been applied.

Last edited:
Having taught the California Motorcycle Safety Program for 11 years, I'm going to give you my HONEST answer - Do with it as you will.

Timmy, this is no laughing matter. It was painful reading your original post. You need to quit deluding yourself about taking advanced lessons - you're not there by any stretch of the imagination. If you seriously think a different lever is the solution to your issue, well...you need to go take a formal basic motorcycle riding course before you hurt yourself or somebody else. You are evidently lacking of the fundamentals of motorcycle riding. Motorcycling is an awesome sport, but only the foolish think that they will get better just by riding more or buying another part for your bike. Trust me, you don't. You only get better with being trained in the fundamentals of riding, and then practicing those techniques over and over again until they become second nature. Once those fundamentals are solid, then advanced training will be of benefit. I would recommend Keith Code Superbike School. I've gone through his California Superbike School several times and they were all worth every dime. Best wishes and Be Safe out there!

Here's a video from Keith's You Tube page showing smooth, precise, throttle control (blipping) while braking pressure has already been applied.

To told the truth, it did feel like a punch in the gut hearing this BUT I understand it is needed. After all, it is for my own safety & others around me.

Not blaming the lever...well I sorta am. With the previous bikes I rode, I was able to tackle the situation okay, so was a bit surprised at me not able to perform this "simple task" with my Guzzi.

I ride because I enjoy riding and I did learn my riding thru motorcycle training courses. However those were more of the basic level and it seems obviously not enough.

I truly taken your advice to heart and will find my time to go through more trainings properly.

Thanks for the video as well :)

Seriously, I honestly appreciate the comments and tips :)

...I truly taken your advice to heart and will find my time to go through more trainings properly.

Thanks for the video as well :)

Seriously, I honestly appreciate the comments and tips :)

I want more Guzzi riders out there, riding the marque that I love so very much. More than that though, I want them safe and sound. It is probably the fact that 2 of my 3 sons (the oldest 23, and the youngest 20) are at motorcycle training school today that your post weighed heavy on my mind. Be a smart rider. Get trained properly and then practice practice practice. Be safe young man and enjoy your life! I wish you the very best.

I want more Guzzi riders out there, riding the marque that I love so very much. More than that though, I want them safe and sound. It is probably the fact that 2 of my 3 sons (the oldest 23, and the youngest 20) are at motorcycle training school today that your post weighed heavy on my mind. Be a smart rider. Get trained properly and then practice practice practice. Be safe young man and enjoy your life! I wish you the very best.

Damn, I've never seen that video before. That's smooth as butter.

I do the whole throttle blip rev matching thing on the street, but I am an old racer guy. My wife also does it, but look who she hangs out with.....
If you want to learn how to do it, that is fine by me. But I would suggest you don't "practice" it in traffic. Practice in a safer environment. That said, two things come to mind. You can get an adjustable lever that allows you to set the lever closer to the bar if your fingers are short. Also, make sure the lever is correctly adjusted. If the brake lever is to far rotated away from you it will be hard to do, but you also want to make sure the lever is adjusted so that when you grab the brake you have to close the throttle. If the lever is rotated too close to you it may be an issue if you grab the brakes but don't fully close the throttle.
Also, make sure the slack in your throttle is properly set.

I do the whole throttle blip rev matching thing on the street, but I am an old racer guy. My wife also does it, but look who she hangs out with.....
If you want to learn how to do it, that is fine by me. But I would suggest you don't "practice" it in traffic. Practice in a safer environment. That said, two things come to mind. You can get an adjustable lever that allows you to set the lever closer to the bar if your fingers are short. Also, make sure the lever is correctly adjusted. If the brake lever is to far rotated away from you it will be hard to do, but you also want to make sure the lever is adjusted so that when you grab the brake you have to close the throttle. If the lever is rotated too close to you it may be an issue if you grab the brakes but don't fully close the throttle.
Also, make sure the slack in your throttle is properly set.

Ya checking the slack was the first thing I did...got about 1/16~1/8" so I think I am good there.

Well, I did order some adjustable levers and they should be here soon...haven't had the chance to ride as weather hasn't been cooperating.

Once those levers are on, I will be practicing in an empty lot and/or empty straight road, and hopefully with more reachable levers, I will be more comfortable and be able to get better at it.

I just want to ride and enjoy and be safe at it :)

The technique you are trying to learn is not needed for street riding. Learn good riding practices as Scott suggested. I taught MSF classes for 14 years. Learn and become practiced in the basics before trying to master advanced techniques. The key is don't ride over your limits. You will find your limits will restrict you more than the limits of the bike.

As I mentioned before, I did go through the whole motorcycle safety program before and graduated. Been riding for a few years now on my old shadow before I switched over to my guzzi.

Granted, I am no expert by any mean as you guys can tell, but ya, the different characteristic when I tried to blip the throttle caught me off guard...and I have not doing that since not until I fully comfortable with the bike.

Once I get the levers hopefully soon, I plan to cruise around the parking lot to get more familiar with the bike. And yes, I 100% agree and understand it is not the bike that limits me, it is myself that is the limitation.

Either way, thank you all for the feedback and suggestions. I will practice more and get back to the basics before I attempt anything advance again...not on the road anyway :)

Back