• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Buying my First Motorcycle - Moto Guzzi V7 ll Storage Concerns Help?

JordanPremo

Just got it firing!
As it says in the title I'm in the process of buying my first bike and I've been a bit concerned about storage options for bringing a cover, lock, storage for helmet and gear wherever I go. From what I've researched it looks like the Givi monokey or light paniels would be my best option for lockable storage, but I cant find a matching back rack mount for the 2016 Moto Guzzi V7 ll they only have one for the 2017 V7 lll !!
Anybody have any solutions?

I mean those are nice don't get me wrong, but I'd rather not spend that much money for such a small amount of storage.

https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/givi-obk58-58l-outback-top-case/

The Givi may be close to $200 more but it's also much more durable and almost double the capacity of HB's biggest top bag. I know it clashes with the aesthetic of the Guzzi but I'm planning on using this as a daily driver so I care more about functionality than looks at this point.

In my opinion if you feel you need bigger than what Tom suggest then you are buying the wrong bike.
58 liter top case is HUGE. Id also question the rear racks ability to safely cope.All that weight high up back there would do horrible things to the handling also

or light paniels would be my best option for lockable storage, but I cant find a matching back rack mount for the 2016 Moto Guzzi V7 ll they only have one for the 2017 V7 lll !!
Assuming you mean panniers, which is what I linked you to. You can absolutely get a OEM top rack for the the V7 II and fit whatever top case you want with the proper adapter plate. I can get you everything you need. Contact me direct email; Todd at GuzziTech.com

As it says in the title I'm in the process of buying my first bike and I've been a bit concerned about storage options for bringing a cover, lock, storage for helmet and gear wherever I go. From what I've researched it looks like the Givi monokey or light paniels would be my best option for lockable storage, but I cant find a matching back rack mount for the 2016 Moto Guzzi V7 ll they only have one for the 2017 V7 lll !!

Hmm. There seem to be two schools of thought on this. One is the Snail Model: carry your house on your back and be able to store all your gear on the bike. The other is the Minimalist Model: carry just enough to lock up the bike securely at your destination and leave nothing on it that could get stolen.

Helmets are bulky things. Fitting one into a top box or pannier means a very large pannier. On the other hand, a nice sack with a simple shoulder strap that can hold one folds up into a small handful of cloth...

I subscribe to the second model. When I'm on a ride and off the bike, I carry my helmet and gloves with me, other incidentals are in a small carryall. While riding, a disk brake lock and a medium weight stretchy cover fits nicely into the carryall which is bungee-corded to the back of the seat or a rack. My buddy Jack is in the first model camp: his 1200cc BMW has half again my body weight's worth of gear always in the huge travel cases and top box on it.

I don't know but that a rider new to a first bike might find it much more pleasant to not carry so much luggage on the bike all the time at first; just getting comfortable with riding and managing the bike itself is enough of a challenge. All that weight and stuff, to me, costs some effort in the bike's handling and the rider's dealing with it.

I do not have and permanent bags or cases mounted to any of my bikes. The wife has a tank bag that mounts on her V11, but it comes off easy and turns into a back pack. I use a back pack, sometimes I wear it and other times I bungee it to the passenger seat. We have some soft saddle bags that we use when touring, but not for every day use.
Motorcycling taught me that I don't need as much stuff as I thought I did. Sadly our Jeep seems to be causing me to lean back towards too much crap.

Last edited:

What do you need to lock when you're not at the bike?

The V7 doesn't have a lot of room for storing things like: a cover, a lock, or the amount of spare gear that you would carry to work in a backpack.

But if you're commuting with the bike, presumably you're putting the cover and lock on the bike when you park, and taking the work stuff with you.

In that case you just need the smallest of pannier(s), and they don't need to be lockable (if you take them with you or if they are empty after you park, cover, and lock the bike).

Todd offers the H&B Legacy Courier line. I really like these. They preserve the retro style of the bike.
The Legacy "Medium" is only 8 liters meaning it is really quite small. If you need smaller there is the all leather bag.
All of the bags dismount and are carriable with an included shoulder strap.

As for helmet storage, I just hang my helmet off of the bike and secure it with a cable - or I bring it with me if I'm particularly concerned about leaving it.

Hepco becker legacy collection rear bag courier bag leather bag
Hepco becker legacy leather bag 1
Hepco becker legacy leather bag 2

Last edited:
In my opinion if you feel you need bigger than what Tom suggest then you are buying the wrong bike.
58 liter top case is HUGE. Id also question the rear racks ability to safely cope.All that weight high up back there would do horrible things to the handling also

I didn't really think about that, I figured since its a 400+ pound bike it would be alright.

Hmm. There seem to be two schools of thought on this. One is the Snail Model: carry your house on your back and be able to store all your gear on the bike. The other is the Minimalist Model: carry just enough to lock up the bike securely at your destination and leave nothing on it that could get stolen.

Helmets are bulky things. Fitting one into a top box or pannier means a very large pannier. On the other hand, a nice sack with a simple shoulder strap that can hold one folds up into a small handful of cloth...

I subscribe to the second model. When I'm on a ride and off the bike, I carry my helmet and gloves with me, other incidentals are in a small carryall. While riding, a disk brake lock and a medium weight stretchy cover fits nicely into the carryall which is bungee-corded to the back of the seat or a rack. My buddy Jack is in the first model camp: his 1200cc BMW has half again my body weight's worth of gear always in the huge travel cases and top box on it.

I don't know but that a rider new to a first bike might find it much more pleasant to not carry so much luggage on the bike all the time at first; just getting comfortable with riding and managing the bike itself is enough of a challenge. All that weight and stuff, to me, costs some effort in the bike's handling and the rider's dealing with it.

Yeah someone else mentioned the handling aspect and I'll admit I didn't really think about that. But I feel like a backpack would be harder to deal with since it adds weight to my center of gravity and not the bike's. Then again I'm new to all of this so its tricky to plan for what I'll need.

I suggest you ditch the bike cover idea. I've seen them act like a sail and tip bikes over when parked out of doors. Also wind will ruffle the cover and may cause scratching of the finish. Since you are in Las Vegas, a reflective seat cover could be a good idea. As for storing a lock, why? The bike comes with a fork lock. Unless you have an anchor chain to affix to a very solid object, any lock will only slow a thief down by a few seconds. Have enough storage for your work gear and possible rain gear. You will want to bring your helmet inside as it would get very hot on the bike.

Bonus: thieves don't want a Guzzi. Our insurance should be free! (Actually, mine aint bad).

Those legacy bags look nice.

Todd offers the H&B Legacy Courier line. I really like these.

Just want to say thanks for posting this! I really like those bags.
Even tho I have visited Todd's store many times I have missed them somehow.

HEY TODD! If you read this how about doing a sticky & each month or (bi-monthly) feature one of your products?

Yeah someone else mentioned the handling aspect and I'll admit I didn't really think about that. But I feel like a backpack would be harder to deal with since it adds weight to my center of gravity and not the bike's. Then again I'm new to all of this so its tricky to plan for what I'll need.

While the major masses of the motorcycle are larger than you are, you and the bike are one loosely coupled dynamical system while you ride.

A light backpack adds a little weight to you, and you move around to adjust where on the bike that weight is to some degree as you control the bike. Panniers and cargo trunk add a lot more weight to the bike (given hard luggage and brackets) and all of it generally to the rear, and higher up. That's a much much bigger change in the handling dynamics than a reasonable pack on your body.

Many different solutions fit different uses and different people's notions of how to work with their bikes. There is always a way to fit something for carrying gear. As a new rider, I strongly recommend getting comfortable riding and handling the bike first, then worry about carrying stuff. The daily needs of commuting, etc, can be easily managed with a sling type satchel or a backpack; or even a simple magnetic tank bag or a strap-on passenger seat bag if you don't want something on your body. Just don't expect a motorcycle to be like a car that you can strap on, lock up, and just leave where you parked it. It doesn't work that way... :D

HEY TODD! If you read this how about doing a sticky & each month or (bi-monthly) feature one of your products?
Well, ironically enough, I am working on an all new website that will be heavily based on the products... though of course the Forum will live on. I will announce some info at the Notices at the top and provide a link to the Beta site when we have it to a point to test.
Also, visit the main page every few days. All new products appear towards the bottom as I put them online.

I mean those are nice don't get me wrong, but I'd rather not spend that much money for such a small amount of storage.

https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/givi-obk58-58l-outback-top-case/

The Givi may be close to $200 more but it's also much more durable and almost double the capacity of HB's biggest top bag. I know it clashes with the aesthetic of the Guzzi but I'm planning on using this as a daily driver so I care more about functionality than looks at this point.

Sorry, late to the party. But you did say this is your first bike right? So as a fan and owner of 5 different HB topcases and panniers I'm saying facts not in evidence. (Unless you're only looking at the soft leather HB bags, but they have more to offer then just that).

Also there are HB options that are pretty stout and as cheap as maybe $200 something for the topcase (Orbit) plus a little more for the luggage rack to which to attach it.

Personally I run HB 30L junior panniers and either a 40L or 45L matching topcase on my V7 depending on the circumstance.

Here's the 45L:

IMG 20160415 162609828

Last edited:
Back