• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Cal special sport fuel leak

Christophe

Just got it firing!
GT Contributor
hi all, just joined guzzi tech, I have a 2002 cal special sport, 9000 miles on it. It sat inside, covered for 3 months and when I rode it afterward gas was spewing out the left side, couldn't tell where it was coming from while on the freeway because I had ball of fire concerns. When stopped, and bike cooled, I saw that gas would come out left side when ignition turned on without turning engine over, imagine fuel injector priming. I know just enough mechanics to be dangerous so I think I can fix this but many heads are better than one.

Possibly. I haven't even lifted the tank yet. Is it possible to check this hose without removing the tank? Can the tank be propped and hose checked? I'm obviously new in this area and don't want to end up with more problems. I thank you for your comment.

Hi, sorry I am not familair with the layout of your bike, I dont even know if the injector pump is inside the tank or external. Saying that, if you saw the fuel coming out shouldnt be that hard to find.

My 2001 Cali had the fuel pump behind the left side cover, the fuel filter was between the cylinders mounted below frame rail.
So with extinguisher handy, take off left side cover, raise rear of tank and see if fuel residue is evident.
Turn key on for a second or 2 and then at least determine area of leak.
1. Electronic fuel petcock located base of tank above left intake manifold.
2. Fuel pump located behind left side cover
3. Fuel filter under the fuel tank
4. Fuel line then splits into a 'Y' and feeds each injector.
5. Cannot remember where fuel pressure regulator was installed, (possibly between 2. & 3.) but there will be a fuel return line to the bottom of the tank, somewhere.

Thanks you guys, I appreciate any help. Going at it tomorrow and hopefully the problem will be obvious, just believe getting some wisdom from experienced and knowledgeable guzzi people like yourselves before diving In blindly is the way to go.

2002 was a transitional year, meaning the fuel pump went from external to internal, which sounds like this is the case for you. Did the bike continue running? If so, it sounds like the fitting for the pump connection is the problem. It's going to take putting your eyes on the connection to see what the problem is. Keep us updated.

I thought 2003 was the transition year. My 2003 EV had the external fuel pump, later production had the internal.

The bike did keep running, I was riding on the freeway and thought it was raining till I saw the pavement was dry. Then I got some drops in my eyes and realized it was gas

Was the tank just filled (to the brim)? Heat expansion can make it overflow, should be a drain hose exiting behind gearbox.
How did you get it home? More riding/spilling or trailer?

Is your fuel pump internal or external to the fuel tank?

Don't think it was heat expansion, fuel seems to fall out from left front of tank. I chanced riding the extra three miles home when I realized what was happening, don't know yet if it's internal or external, will find out soon hopefully. Thanks for your comment

If it has internal pump, leak sounds like it will be coming from the outlet fitting or hose connection.

If it has external pump, the hose curls around under the front of the tank to the filter.

If the external fuel pump, the pressure regulator and fuel return (same item) are located at the front of the tank. Fitting this unit can be tricky as it is similar to how the old fuel petcocks mount. Check the fitment there as well.

I thought 2003 was the transition year. My 2003 EV had the external fuel pump, later production had the internal.
Some '02s had the internal pump and hydraulic lifters (mostly Stones).

I'm back after some delays. Here is a picture of where the gas is leaking, if anyone is still here, the gas drips from the nipple when I turn the key and the elec ignition turns on. It looks like there should be a hose attached but I found nothing and as per previous posts this problem started as soon as I started bike after it had sat coveted for three months. If there is supposed to be a hose there I'm totally mystified. I'll post more pics.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 8
OK, that's the return regulator, and the exposed nipple is to free air, as it is. No hose. You'll have to pull it apart and clean it, or replace it.

Back