RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - Welcome to the GT Forum. Posts here are to help with issues and questions related to your Guzzi & GT products - However, always use the Search feature first, as most topics have been well covered. Please see our store tab above; Off-site hyperlinks for competing products/companies will be deleted. Note we are still largely a one man operation; We are NOT Amazon, so do not expect that level of service. Orders can take a week or more to ship, and PLEASE refrain from using the Contact form here to ask about your order status OR questions best posted to the Forum. If you must reach out, reply on the actual order email with number. Refunds can take 5-45 days after processed in our system... we have no control over this. We cannot offer personal support to your questions, problems or issues unless related to a product you bought from us here. NO phone calls can be made - please do not ask. We are online ONLY. Thank you for your understanding and business, past and future. In SoCal? Visit GTMotocycles.com for all of your Service needs, or click the Service tab above.

Cali Custom Bar Options...Eldorado?

Discussion in 'New Gen Cali 1400 8V' started by Lou, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Lou

Lou Just got it firing!

Hey Folks, I haven't seen this covered in the forum, hopefully I didn't miss it. But.
    Love my custom, only real issue is the pain I get from riding in the mid upper back. I believe it comes
    from the width and relative flat/lack of pullback of the bars. I put risers on, given the angle of the
    risers, the extra risers do bring the bars back toward me. I also tilter the bars down, bit by bit, to achieve just a bit more, overall, pull back toward me. Not quite happening. I can, of course, put the touring bars on but I don't want to go through the expense of re-cabling as well. Some people have rethreaded custom cables, I know. OK...has anyone tried, or no of anyone, who has put the Eldorado bars on the California? They seem a bit narrower and more pull back at the grip. I know the Eldo has a smaller from wheel. Could this work? Any experience out there? Thanks!

2. Fast1400

Fast1400 Tuned and Synch'ed

Lou,

I was underwhelmed with my Custom's 'drag' bars also (not to mention my back was complaining also after a multihour ride) and installed the black touring bars, no more back issues. Its not a big deal re-routing the cables, just bring them over the top of the TripTree, and while I was at it put heated grips on too. I may jump for some risers also just to bring me all the way back, but don't know if this will be too far for the stock cables, anyone else put the risers available here on a custom with touring hbars? Are the Eldo bars more swept back than the touring bars?

Wes

3. lvgs

lvgs Just got it firing!

Just resurrecting an old thread and hoping for some updates from Lou and Fast1400. Thanks.

4. Fast1400

Ivgs, yup, both the touring bars and the risers ( http://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/gt-rx-cnc-bar-risers/ ) have been installed on my custom and tweaked to my optimum riding position, couldn't be more comfortable 'cept for maybe a sofa-style saddle ;). The stock cables reach no problem, risers and all.

5. Lou

Lou Just got it firing!

lvgs, thanks for circling back to this issue. Great to hear you've made it work so well, Fast. I have not changed bars...yet. I put risers on which, given the angle of the risers, bring the bars back toward you, but also up. I have an accident a year ago...hit by an NYC cab. We had to replace the bars but my dealer said they couldn't thread the existing cables for the touring bars and didn't want to take responsibility if they did and anything went wrong. Hmmmm....I still feel that this bar thing is the one real issue with the bike, so it's on the radar and great to hear these other experiences. Thanks!

6. jbhotchkiss

jbhotchkiss Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Founder!

A little off-subject, but....
    Would like to see a black handlebar for the Custom (same shape/dimensions) like the OEM accessory bar for the Touring. Whaddaya think, Todd?

7. lvgs

lvgs Just got it firing!

Thank you both Lou and Fast. I have installed just the risers and while they make some difference, unfortunately it isn’t enough. Glad to learn that Fast was able to install the touring bars (AND risers) using stock cables.

Fast, did you have to re-route the cables to make it work and are you able to turn the steering from side to side without any tension? Thanks again.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    Fast1400 likes this.
  8. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member

They exist, and I’ve installed on our friend @ZClark73 Custom.

9. lvgs

lvgs Just got it firing!

Todd, did you use the existing cables or have to replace them? Thanks.

10. GT-Rx®

Had to replace the clutch line and throttle cables.

11. jbhotchkiss

jbhotchkiss Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Founder!

I don't think I properly stated my intent - looking for a black version of the bars on the Custom. If it was (a black version of the bars on the custom), clutch line and throttle cables would not need replacing.

12. GT-Rx®

Yes, I read your were looking for the Touring bar in black. That exists. The Custom bar in black does not. Just have it powder-coated(?).

13. Fast1400

Yes, reroute the throttle FBW cables as in the pics (I added a 'gatherer' to make it tidy), and yes the hbars rotate thru normal range of motion.

IMG_1606.JPG IMG_1605.JPG

lvgs likes this.
  14. lvgs

lvgs Just got it firing!

That’s fantastic, thank you very much Fast!