RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. Otherwise, be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GT products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum; Be sure to try a search and/or post on the Forum. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our custom builds at GTMotoCycles.com or click the Service tab above.

California 1400 hanging throttle

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by guzziken, Jul 22, 2015.

1. guzziken

guzziken Just got it firing!

I have a 2014 Cali Custom. I am in my third month of ownership and just turned over 5,000 miles. It is my daily transportation and recreation. The bike has been fantastic for the most part. When it gets hot the throttle will hang up around 3,000 rpm. I can blip the throttle and that allows it to idle normally. Initially it only happened when using compression braking but now pretty much anytime I'm over 3k in traffic it can have an onset. The dealer has cleaned the tthrottle body and then replaced it under warranty with no change in the problem. They have also fiddled with the cables but nothing has helped. Guzzi USA is stumped. My ownership experience is not what I had hoped. I seem to be the only Cali owner with the problem. Any ideas?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
    Yarvis likes this.
  2. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member

I've seen a few with this issue. There's been some debate (as I haven't yet looked for it personally), but on the 1200's, there is a "Stepper Motor" that controls idle by forcing air into the intake tract. Ask your dealer if they can find one.

3. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

No stepper motor. I'd be looking for an air leak in the intake tract somewhere.

4. guzziken

I was wondering about that. False air was a problem on an old Alfa Romeo I owned years ago and a bugger to locate.

5. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

Sorry to state the obvious.
    The fact that this is not a common issue says to me that there is something not right with your bike that your dealer is not able to find. Perhaps you need to take it to a better dealer. The quality of the Guzzi ownership experience can often depend on the quality of the Guzzi dealer.
    Get a dealer that can fix your issue and you will be much happier.
    I am pretty sure that bike uses ride by wire. The bike controls the throttle.

6. guzziken

I thought that was part of the throttle body. I'm not sure.

7. Fast1400

Fast1400 Tuned and Synch'ed

Ask the dealer to replace the ECU

8. guzziken

The 1400 doesn't have one.

9. guzziken

Yes it's RbW. I have a great dealer and they have been working with the tech people at Guzzi USA. There is no other 1400 owner having the problem apparently. I posted here hoping someone had. It may save some time. It's all warranty stuff so no cost to me other than time.
    Diagnostics didn't point to any codes being tripped so I agree it is a unique problem. The Cali brain is derived from the Aprilia RS4 so I went to the Aprilia forum hoping for a lead with no joy.
    USA tech and my dealer are working on a solution. I can post the results here once I know what it is. if someone else had the problem I'd already have it fixed and wouldn't be as frustrated knowing I got the "special" 1400. : )
    Thanks for your input.

Yarvis likes this.
  10. guzziken

Based on what theory? I don't like throwing parts at something, even under warranty, without a reason. The ECU is a possibility.
    Thanks for your help

Yarvis likes this.
  11. GuzziMoto

With a Ride by Wire set up the ECU controls the throttle.
    If the throttle is not doing what it is supposed to do one basic step in troubleshooting a throttle not doing what it is supposed to do would be to replace the part that controls the throttle. That part would be the ECU.
    If the dealer does not know what is causing the issue a simple method to trouble shoot it would be to swap parts with a known good bike, perhaps their demo. That process should result in finding the part causing the issue. After the bad part is identified we can then figure out why it caused the symptoms. It is nice to figure out an issue like this and know the hows and whys first, but sometimes you need to work from a different angle for the sake of time.
    I am glad you have faith in your dealer, they are the ones who are going to make or break your Guzzi ownership experience.
    Good luck.

Yarvis likes this.
  12. Trashtalker

Trashtalker Just got it firing!

If I may, this machine was PADS diagnosed with a throttle opening that was not called for by the throttle command position sensor, they deviated by 1.9 degrees from one another. This is the reason the throttle body was thought to be sticking and was replaced. Now the challenge is to figure out why the new throttle body is still giving us the hanging throttle problem, MAP sensor? Ignition sensor? These are viable options that will be investigated. Italy has been advised and everything in our power will be called into action to diagnose and fix this bike to the customers satisfaction. In our shop, we typically don't remove parts and replace them willy nilly with other parts without some proper diagnosis to try and fix the problem. Diagnosis is the key, The bike is trying to tell us something, we just need to figure out what that is, and we will I assure you. Thanks for listening, cheers

13. GuzziMoto

I am glad it is not my bike you have.
    "Key" is resolving the issue quickly so that the customer is not sitting there wondering why he bought this motorcycle.
    I agree, being able to diagnose the problem correctly is the best option. But being able to recognize when that is not happening and moving to a plan B like swapping known good parts until the issue is resolved would go a long way towards the real "key" of resolving the issue quickly. It is not always the cheapest way to go, and it should not be plan A. But sometimes you can't actually figure out the explanation of the problem until you have more information like identifying which part is actually causing the issue.
    Tools like PADS are great tools. But if that is your only tool you are using things may not always go well. Tools like PADS can mislead you sometimes.

14. Fast1400

Fast1400 Tuned and Synch'ed

guzziken, the important thing here that seems to be forgotten is the safety issue.
    Explain to your dealer that if the throttle stays open at the wrong time someone could be hurt or worse, not to mention the legal ramifications that could ensue.
    It could be a recall issue if enough folks are seeing this. As it stands now it appears its only happening to your c1400 so its safe to assume its a one-time occurance. That does not make it any less important to get it resolved quickly by your dealer.
    Swapping parts is a good idea but might be frowned upon by MG, in my line of work we can't swap out parts to troubleshoot because of legal and ISO standards.

15. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member

For the record, I've seen about a half dozen here that have this issue. Tends to happen when the motor is quite hot, more so then anything else I've noticed. Can those with the issue say the same?

Loosy gussi and Yarvis like this.
  16. guzziken

I'm siding with my dealer on this one. I've worked on my own Italian and German cars for about 40 years. That included engine rebuilds, clutches, valve adjustments, tune ups, fuel pumps, etc. I've rebuilt Weber and Zenith carbs. The only computer car Ii had had issues and none of them were the ECU. Not saying its not a possibility but diagnostics, as my,dealer stated is the key. The only way swapping out the ECU is going to save any time is if that turns out to be the issue. Otherwise we've got two bikes apart for a couple of hours with nothing to go on but a "gee it could be the ECU." That doesn't work for me and is one of many reasons I chose my dealer. I don't want a Dr. doing exploratory surgery on a guess either. Its not the way I worked on my cars over the years. I learned a lot from old school technicians who diagnosed and then acted. Sure sometimes things didn't work but the reasoning was sound and led to a proper fix. Yes, the ECU could be the culprit but it needs good information from sensors, etc. to do its job properly. This baby is going to be fixed and fixed correctly. I give my dealer credit for not wasting time and moneyon hunches. I'm not trying to be offensive. That's just the way I prefer things done.

Someone mentioned the saftety issue. I have a clutch and brakes. I don't put myself in situations where if I have the issue it impinges on my safety or those around me. Its annoying and dilutes the overall experience.
    Another contributor metioned seeing this issue on hot bikes. As this is my daily driver it does get hot in gridlock traffic at times. Most California 1400 owners probably don't use their bikes that way. Maybe it is a more widespread issue than just me and a proper fix will help other Cali owners going forward. Thanks

17. GuzziMoto

If you are fine with the dealer taking their time to resolve this, fine. I was under the impression from your first post that you were tired of this taking so long.
    If you think everything is going as it should, I can't see it from my house.

And, if they swapped ECU's and it did not resolve the issue, you would actually be further along than you were before they tried it. You would have something to show for it, you would know that it is not the ECU. Then you could focus on other issues.
    While swapping out parts should not be plan A, when plan does not work sometimes swapping out parts is how you find out what is wrong. The cost of swapping ecu's is minor, but as I said,I can't see it from my house.

bobw likes this.
  18. guzziken

I'm not happy It's taking time. It's an annoying issue. If I have a beef I'd like Italy to get on it asap so my dealer can move forward. Italians have a different concept of time. Considering they build some of the fastest, most passionate and soulful vehicles in the world I always found that ironic.
    Thanks

Yarvis likes this.
  19. Ste

Ste Just got it firing!

i had the same problem. just had the 6000 mile, will see if it still does it and get back to you.

Yarvis likes this.
  20. Yarvis

Yarvis Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I saw a funny throttle issue last week and I was caught in a hell of a traffic jam and my bike was HOT. I haven't ridden it since last week so I can't say if Its still an ongoing thing with my bike, but I do plan to ride it tomorrow to see. My throttle wasn't stuck open but i did notice once releasing the throttle to the "off" or neutral position it took a few extra seconds to idle back to the usual idle point of 1-1100 RPM. I don't understand why heat would affect this as I got caught in a ton of traffic this summer with this bike and I really didn't notice this issue in the heart of the summer and now I'm seeing it.