• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Can anyone recognize this sound?

Dino Rossetti

Tuned and Synch'ed
I am having a hard time with this. I have checked all the common places that could vibrate/or become loose. Things I have checked.

1. headlight bucket/ Mount
2. Adjust valves did nothing.
3. Checked caliper/pads
4. Checked for loose connectors under the fuel tank.

Here is a video capture of it only happens when under load. In neutral the sound is not there.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/7q0a...0180.MOV?rlkey=1bywn4bmuuql0lgds2cl6r7ry&dl=0

Sounded normal to me. I'm used to rattle traps. Maybe loose muffler or peg brackets, loose Db killer? Same if you have crash bars, seat rail, license plate, bag mounts, center & side stands, etc. Check exhaust header nuts, clamps for mufflers & crossover.

I hear nothing other than excessive valve rocker clearance.

That’s the loud tapping sound you hear under heavy engine load.

On a Moto Guzzi, it is a very fine line between proper valve clearance and too much or too little. Did you adjust your valves?

You want to hear a gentle ticking as too quiet means they are too tight, while if you hear loud ticking which can border on a rattling sound at power on, then the valves are too loose.

I hear nothing other than excessive valve rocker clearance.

That’s the loud tapping sound you hear under heavy engine load.

On a Moto Guzzi, it is a very fine line between proper valve clearance and too much or too little. Did you adjust your valves?

You want to hear a gentle ticking as too quiet means they are too tight, while if you hear loud ticking which can border on a rattling sound at power on, then the valves are too loose.

I have adjusted the valves. .10 inlet / .15 outlet. The sound only occurs under load. I was thinking the clutch springs were going bad. it sounds excessive, especially under heavy load. Could it be worn-out valvetrain parts?

I’m very sorry but from your video of the phone in your coat, I can hear nothing amiss.

Are you sure you are not hearing detonation from lugging the engine under load?

I suggest the services of your local dealer or trusted mechanic.

What RPM are you riding at normally? 4,000 to 5,000 RPM is the happy place for most Guzzi's. If you are lugging the engine at low (2,500-3,000) RPM it won't make happy sounds.

P.S. You beat me to it Scott.

The exact same sound bothers me as well, like something flying. At high speeds, it merges with other sounds. In the city I drive around 2-3000 rpm, driving at 4-5000 rpm is not very pleasant.

Back