• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

De-linking SP brakes

T Bill

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Contributor
I was just buying brake caliper and m/c rebuild parts for my '83 SP NT, and got to thinking I'd always wished the brakes weren't linked. Makes me really uncomfortable when I find myself on dirt roads. Maybe I should just do it if I'm gonna get my fingers in the fluid. I would prefer not to argue this point, everybody has an opinion.

I see I can get a 15mm master cyl for the front for less than $150, but don't see any rear masters available. I'm guessing I'd want a 12mm for that, going by some old threads here. Anybody know where to find them?

I have the 15mm and dual disc front setup on my 850T, and have (very briefly!) locked the front wheel on that with two fingers. Like the feel of that. Would leaving the stock 15mm rear master cylinder in place on the SP be OK? It's a foot brake, so maybe the feel isn't such a big deal? Anybody already running this setup?
Thanks,
Bill

The rear on older Tontis (such as my '76 Convert) are 15 mm. I saw a post on Wildguzzi(?) where someone used the front (cable operated, under-tank) master cylinder from a V50 II for the rear, with excellent results.

Thanks guys, I think I'll move ahead with this. I had sort of forgotten about that ratio valve or whatever it is that splits the feed to the front and rear calipers. Can I just eliminate that and send the rear master line straight to the caliper? This should end up simplifying the plumbing a bit.

I've de linked my LM2; like you are thinking, I put a PS15 on the front.
I fitted a PS12 on the rear; it came from a Ducati 860 GT (NOS from your side of the pond), a mirror image of the original Guzzi rear master that just requires a little machining to allow it to fit the 'right' way round. You can then bin the proportioner valve.
These pics shows the PS12 after the required machining, not much at all.
I think the original Guzzi PS15 feeding the single rear caliper will be quite fierce and lacking any feel.

Plan for now is to try the existing rear MC as-is. If it turns out I don't like it, where did you find your Duc unit on this side of pond?
Thanks,
Bill

I've done that in the past(with the 15mm original rear); there is no feel and no bite, you can stand on the rear brake with your whole weight for some braking but you get the idea. No good. Tried it with a 14mm master that I had laying around. Still no good.
The V50 master would be the way to go.

jr1967, is it possible you left the proportioning valve in the line, further reducing pressure to the rear? The ratio of the piston areas says one would get 35% less pressure at the caliper for a given force on the pedal with the 15mm master. Seems like that wouldn't be enough to produce the effect you describe.

Plan for now is to try the existing rear MC as-is. If it turns out I don't like it, where did you find your Duc unit on this side of pond?
Thanks,
Bill

I got it from ebay, but my purchase records don't go back far enough to i.d. the seller, sorry.

Followup report:
Mods are done and the pads have had a couple hundred miles to wear in. New hoses I had made at Pirtek laid in perfectly (whew!). Both front and rear brakes work great. Turns out the rear caliper is an F09, with 48mm pistons, which I'm sure helps a lot with the 15mm stock rear master cylinder. I can lock the rear wheel with firm pressure on the pedal, don't think I'd want it any more sensitive than it is.
Happy camper here.
Bill

Actually just consulted the chart jr1967 suggested, and see that my front ratio is 25.67, rear is 20.48, values which fall pretty well into the suggested ranges. 20.5 sounds a little low, but the rear is operated by foot, through a linkage that may be giving some mechanical advantage of it's own. Maybe that's why this hydraulic ratio seems to work pretty well.

Back