• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Diagnosing misfiring issues on a 1979 1000SP

doniv

Just got it firing!
Hey folks! Great to be here. I like being hands-on with motorcycles but I'm breaking new ground with respect to working on an engine and carbs. Please excuse my lack of knowledge; I'm learning as I go along.

When my 1979 1000SP arrived from across the country, she was in non-running condition. I charged the battery, put in some gas, and tried starting her. She sputtered to life on the choke and I considered it a win. The previous owner had mentioned issues with plugs getting fouled, especially on the right cylinder. I quickly realized that the choke (enricher?) on the right carb was sticking on the throttle cable and by itself. I lubed it and cleared it of the throttle cable. I replaced the fouled spark plugs (NGK BPR6ES) with new non-resistor plugs (NGK BP6ES) and also replaced the caps with new non-resistor caps (NGK 8381 LZFH) after I found one broken. The bike would run but it was as if it was running on 50% power (which was actually what was happening), with surges of power at times. I checked the air filter and carbs. All good, but what a pain that air filter was to get into! I should have checked the coils first. One of them was leaky, so I replaced it with an identical Bobina. Finally, she ran. I fixed the speedo to figure out how fast I was going by eliminating the broken L joint at the end. Touched an indicated 100mph but was still experiencing misfires.

I pulled the plugs and here's what they looked like:
Left cylinder plug:
There is sooty residue on the thread but the electrodes look slightly scorched. I want to try enrichening the mixture, but I'd rather focus on getting the right cylinder happy first.
IMG 7144 Large IMG 7146 Large

Here's the right cylinder plug:
It shows a soot mark on the electrode and the top is oily as well, indicating that some oil is getting past the rings. Based on the color of the electrodes it seems like the cylinder is getting a lean mixture, but that's less of a concern compared to the oily deposits.
IMG 7141 Large
IMG 7143 Large
I used a boroscope to peer into the cylinders. The left cylinder had been clean before (when I got the bike). Now I see oil seeping onto the top from the edges. I don't know if the color of the piston at the edges is unusual.
PICT0046
PICT0047

The right cylinder was coated with carbon the first time I saw it, likely due to the double whammy of a stuck choke and a bad coil. After going through a can of Seafoam I can see the top of the piston. I'm going through another can of it right now; let's see if it removes more carbon. There's a mark on the top of the piston that makes me wonder if it is hitting the spark plug. I don't hear any weird sounds when riding, however. Any ideas?
PICT0052
PICT0044
The OTC compression tester arrived today and I just ran a compression test on both cylinders. The left one reads 170 psi while the right one's at 125 psi. This was done when the engine was almost cold, so I'll rerun the test tomorrow after warming up the engine. I also got an OTC leak-down tester but I don't have an air compressor to use it with yet; I plan to acquire one. Based on this quick test it does seem like there's an issue with the piston rings / valves on the right cylinder. The leak-down test should help disambiguate this further.

There's also a peculiar idling issue I'm experiencing. When I'm stopped, the revs start climbing gradually until it's running at around 2.5K RPM. I've adjusted the idle screws to get it down but then at times the engine just wants to stall and needs to be revved. So basically the engine's not able to idle at a steady RPM.

I'll continue figuring things out using whatever resources I am able to find, but it would be great to get inputs from folks that have seen these issues and know what's happening. Thanks in advance!

You should have no more that 10psi difference when testing. Looks like right side is oil contaminated. Testing hot or cold makes no difference when diagnosing compression. Do test with the throttle wide open. It appears a tear down on the right cylinder is in order and a leak down test will tell you if it is a valve or ring issue. BTW, mix on the left cylinder looks OK to me so I would go about enriching the mix. So long as you don't see black spots on the porcelain you are good. Also bigger isn't necessarily better.

For the erratic idle:
Make sure your throttle slides are not "hanging on the cables" (check freeplay at cable ends.)
Check your pilot jets in the bottom of your carbs.

Thanks for the inputs, folks! Need to learn about how to check timing. The climbing idle symptom does make me feel like there's more fuel passing through at times for some reason. Free play in the cables is good. Nothing sticking.
Also bigger isn't necessarily better.
Sorry, what were you referring to here?

Also, I was wondering if a tire inflator would work instead of an air compressor with the leak down tester, but I'm guessing not?

What I mean is going to a bigger carb isn't good if the engine isn't designed for it. That 40mm carb on that engine will not atomize fuel well until you get above 6,000 RPM. Same holds true for jetting and so on.

Back