• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Dumb question: removing starter cover

Sully

Just got it firing!
HI,

My 07 Breva 1100 won't start (battery fully charged, and I cleaned the contacts). Based on some other threads I've read here, my next step is to check/clean the starter solenoid. My problem is getting the starter cover removed. The screws are 4mm Allen screws, and I've got the top one off, but this little bugger is giving me fits (center of picture). I've got long T handle allen wrenches, but the long side has the ball end, and I can't get any grip at all in the screw, and now its starting to get wore out. Really hard to get purchase in there, with the exhaust, the grey side cover, and the starter cover itself in the way. Anybody got any ideas? And, assuming I can get it off, what exactly do I need to be doing with the solenoid.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

IMG_2294-M.jpg

Get an allen wrench that fits correctly, if you round/damage the allen bolt off you'll be cursing you didn't do it, If you want to remove the starter motor remove the earth from the battery 1st, then unbolt the positive lead on the solenoid, and insulate it, then pull off the small solenoid cable. Undo the two bolts securing the starter motor, 13mm I think and manoeuvre the starter motor out. When I stripped down the solenoid on mine it was perfectly clean and free in there. Don't put grease or oil in there as it will cause the clutch dust to adhere. In the end on my Breva 1100 I did the starter wire mod as outlined on here and never had a problem with starting again.

Kevin has given you most of the help you need. One thing further - any Allen-head machine screw that you have worn in any way should not be re-used. Instead, take a few minutes to stop by your dealer or local specialty hardware store and get a new one before re-assembly. You'll be thankful the next time you need to work in that area.

As far as cleaning is concerned, remember that a clutch and an organic compound brake have a lot in common - friction to create (or reduce) motion. If you use a cleaner, use a brake cleaner, be generous, and give it plenty of time to try before refitting. Avoid using any cleaner too closely to things that are lubricated that you do not intend to also disassemble and re-lube.

The various fixes for power to the starter are well-described in other threads, and are HIGHLY recommended. Pick the variation (purchased or self-created) that suits you to fix this legendary issue.

A problem I find is that people (read so-called experts) like the ball end because they don't have to line it up properly. This is fine if you are using a 6mm (insert imperial size here - ok, ok 1/4") or larger bolt. The smaller sizes do not have enough depth.

Do yourself a favour and but a set of allen keys that are straight at both ends, or simply grind off the ball end. When grinding, take as little as is possible, so you don't upset the hardness...

Thanks for all the advice guys. Looks like I've got a fun time ahead, because that bolt is well and truly screwed. In the end I was able to kind of pull the starter cover back enough to get at the solenoid and clean some of the corrosion off; it didn't look like too corroded but apparently that was the issue, because it fired right up afterwards. I've got the starter wiring fix kit coming from my "local" dealer (MPH in Houston, 180 miles away!)

Good excuse to buy some new allen keys, too.

Now that the bolt is screwed, time to borrow or buy a set of easiouts, or similar. get a set with the drills included so there is no guesswork.

I have a set at work that I lent to another guy to remove a stripped thread - ID10T put the easiout in a drill and totally wrecked it. These are hand tools only - be warned.

Don't try and drill it, you can end up in a world of pain.
It's only a small screw and can be tapped out by using a pin punch that has a pointed end and a small hammer. Whack your first dent with the punch square on near the edge, then hold the punch at a tangent to the screw and tap it round. You'll be surprised how easy it'll come out.

Back