RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Greetings Guest... We are working on a monthly Newsletter talking about the marque and GT offerings and events. If you are in SoCal and own a V7 or V9, see the selection below for a ride in late April. If you are Registered here on the Forum, you will be automatically added to our Newsletter, or we will provide info to sign up. To Opt out, see post in the Site Support section at the bottom. Happy Moto'in.
  2. Ciao Guest - Be sure to check in on the GuzziTech Store, link/tab above. We will continue to bring new products to market from our 100% Made in the USA products. A very small batch our newest GT logo T-shirts, is now in stock. We are often subject to the delays of Italian made products this time of year, so thanks in advance for your patience... and PLEASE refrain from using the Contact form here to ask about your order Status. For those asking about a phone # for the site; I don't offer one as I am a one man operation, and I have the gift of gab when it comes to talking motorcycles, which kills my productivity. I appreciate the consideration and understanding, and your business... past and future. Highest Regards, Todd
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We've secured our dealer set up with Rizoma Italia, and will be offering some of their items here online. Please visit the main Tech section below and let us know if you're interested in us carrying any specific items .
    Dismiss Notice

Engine Guards

Discussion in 'V7/V9 Chat & Tech' started by Anccert, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Anccert

Anccert Just got it firing!

With my new V7 and my introduction to a transverse engine, I'm pondering whether to invest in a set of engine guards. I've yet to drop a bike or have one fall over, so I'm long overdue for it to happen. Has anyone had experience dropping their Guzzi, and what kind of damage is likely to occur to the engine?

I think the bike looks best without any guards, and I'm just not fond of engine dresser bars. Here are some alternatives that I've pondered as a substitute. Second question, has anyone had any experience with these products? Granted they probably won't offer the same level of protection as dresser bars.

70tre.com/protection_tube_for_cylinder_black

satoracing.com/framesliders_motoguzziV72.htm

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  2. Bob Ponticelli

Bob Ponticelli Cruisin' Guzzisti

I love the looks of the 70tre protectors. Another member installed them. I got these here from the GT store/Todd and am really happy with them. I have never (knock wood) dropped my bike but I feel better having them on with these motors sticking out.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    GT-Rx® likes this.
  3. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member

The best protection is always a crash bar. Fin/valve cover protection that I offer, like Bob posted above, is second best.
    Without any, if you tip over even at a standstill, you will damage the valve cover and worse yet, possibly bend or break the valve cover bolts and damage the gasket mating surfaces. If you fall at any speed, you take the chance at bending the head studs and cause long term damage (piston/rings/cylinder wall) and it will likely leak at both head and base gaskets. To me it's not worth the risk letting the heads impact the ground in any fashion.
    I sell the Sato frame sliders HERE on this site. In my experience, they are very good for parking lot tip overs, and not much else when any speed is involved.

4. blakbird

blakbird Tuned and Synch'ed GT Site Contributor!

I "laid down" my '78 Lemans, in 1980, locked up the brakes because I was following too close and not expecting the car in front to come to a sudden stop. The result a low side slide on the left engine guard. The left side engine guard cracked A fin on the cylinder. There were other scratches and dents, nothing catastrophic, but the engine is still sound.

My brother in law welded the crack in the fin, leaving a scar to remind me to allow more distance. Especially on English country roads were the guy in front may have to stop suddenly for livestock crossing the road just around the corner.

The unique "Frosted Raspberry" custom paint treatment is a direct result of the unplanned for life lesson.

Personally I like the look of the engine guards on the Lemans and truly appreciate that they worked for me in the incident

I've come to value the advice from Todd and the many persons on this forum that ride more, further, better, faster and safer than I.

5. Rafael

Rafael GT Reference GT Site Contributor!

Unfortunately, I've tested crashbars/guards too many times. The stucchi head guards on my B11 saved the head, got away with a superficial abrasion. But the problem with those guards, is the it caused more work to do a valve adjustment. Looks like none of the options above have that problem. The other issue with having lots of options is that there is no perfect protection, too may variables - pick what satisfies your taste.

I like the frame sliders, but but the contact point seems low, I would want to see how the bike lays down. Probably doesn't matter though.

6. Bob Ponticelli

I look at it this way....I bought these for the day I simply drop my bike or forget to lower the stand....I figure moving I am planning on writing off the bike anyway.

7. Kev M

Kev M Cruisin' Guzzisti

That's my thought.

I like my sliders, but I went with the ones from Over Racing and some custom machined extensions to make sure they would touch first.

8. Rafael

Rafael GT Reference GT Site Contributor!

My guess is that the sliders will do more than that. They'll probably handle a low side at a moderate speed and preserve the bike enough to pick it up and ride it home with out trouble. Happened to me more than once. Anyway hope you never use them.

9. Mr Pootle

Mr Pootle Tuned and Synch'ed

Kev, could you post a photo?

10. Bob Ponticelli

I like Kev's solution because it is virtually invisible. What made my final decision was that I didn't love the new-style valve covers. So when Todd posted that he was making a head-guard that would mate with a retro cover I thought that solved 2-problems for me, one for when potentially drop it and another for cosmetic reasons.

11. Kev M

Kev M Cruisin' Guzzisti

[​IMG]

I had a detailed post on WildGuzzi years ago, maybe I cross-posted it here too, that showed a close up of the assembly, with tight front views so you could see the relationship to the cylinder head with and without the spacers. What was nice about the design on the Over Racing sliders was the mount that sticks out and holds the poly slider was 2 pieces, so all I needed to do was get aluminum machined to match the diameter and add longer bolts to stick them out more (this was back in 2013 and the slider was designed for the thinner jugged 2TB V7 models). I'm not sure if they've updated them yet. Hard to find. Jenn ordered them direct from Japan for me as a gift.

[​IMG]