• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Engine Guards

Anccert

Just got it firing!
With my new V7 and my introduction to a transverse engine, I'm pondering whether to invest in a set of engine guards. I've yet to drop a bike or have one fall over, so I'm long overdue for it to happen. Has anyone had experience dropping their Guzzi, and what kind of damage is likely to occur to the engine?

I think the bike looks best without any guards, and I'm just not fond of engine dresser bars. Here are some alternatives that I've pondered as a substitute. Second question, has anyone had any experience with these products? Granted they probably won't offer the same level of protection as dresser bars.

70tre.com/protection_tube_for_cylinder_black

satoracing.com/framesliders_motoguzziV72.htm

Last edited:
With my new V7 and my introduction to a transverse engine, I'm pondering whether to invest in a set of engine guards. I've yet to drop a bike or have one fall over, so I'm long overdue for it to happen. Has anyone had experience dropping their Guzzi, and what kind of damage is likely to occur to the engine?

I think the bike looks best without any guards, and I'm just not fond of engine dresser bars. Here are some alternatives that I've pondered as a substitute. Second question, has anyone had any experience with these products? Granted they probably won't offer the same level of protection as dresser bars.

http://www.70tre.com/protection_tube_for_cylinder_black

http://www.satoracing.com/framesliders_motoguzziV72.htm

I love the looks of the 70tre protectors. Another member installed them. I got these here from the GT store/Todd and am really happy with them. I have never (knock wood) dropped my bike but I feel better having them on with these motors sticking out.

1C683BD4-5BCE-4EEB-B366-070CA8AC0161_zpsc9t9rv09.jpg

Last edited:
With my new V7 and my introduction to a transverse engine, I'm pondering whether to invest in a set of engine guards. I've yet to drop a bike or have one fall over, so I'm long overdue for it to happen. Has anyone had experience dropping their Guzzi, and what kind of damage is likely to occur to the engine? I think the bike looks best without any guards, and I'm just not fond of engine dresser bars. Here are some alternatives that I've pondered as a substitute. Second question, has anyone had any experience with these products? Granted they probably won't offer the same level of protection as dresser bars. satoracing.com/framesliders_motoguzziV72.htm
The best protection is always a crash bar. Fin/valve cover protection that I offer, like Bob posted above, is second best.
Without any, if you tip over even at a standstill, you will damage the valve cover and worse yet, possibly bend or break the valve cover bolts and damage the gasket mating surfaces. If you fall at any speed, you take the chance at bending the head studs and cause long term damage (piston/rings/cylinder wall) and it will likely leak at both head and base gaskets. To me it's not worth the risk letting the heads impact the ground in any fashion.
I sell the Sato frame sliders HERE on this site. In my experience, they are very good for parking lot tip overs, and not much else when any speed is involved.

I "laid down" my '78 Lemans, in 1980, locked up the brakes because I was following too close and not expecting the car in front to come to a sudden stop. The result a low side slide on the left engine guard. The left side engine guard cracked A fin on the cylinder. There were other scratches and dents, nothing catastrophic, but the engine is still sound.

My brother in law welded the crack in the fin, leaving a scar to remind me to allow more distance. Especially on English country roads were the guy in front may have to stop suddenly for livestock crossing the road just around the corner.

The unique "Frosted Raspberry" custom paint treatment is a direct result of the unplanned for life lesson.

Personally I like the look of the engine guards on the Lemans and truly appreciate that they worked for me in the incident

I've come to value the advice from Todd and the many persons on this forum that ride more, further, better, faster and safer than I.

Unfortunately, I've tested crashbars/guards too many times. The stucchi head guards on my B11 saved the head, got away with a superficial abrasion. But the problem with those guards, is the it caused more work to do a valve adjustment. Looks like none of the options above have that problem. The other issue with having lots of options is that there is no perfect protection, too may variables - pick what satisfies your taste.

I like the frame sliders, but but the contact point seems low, I would want to see how the bike lays down. Probably doesn't matter though.

I look at it this way....I bought these for the day I simply drop my bike or forget to lower the stand....I figure moving I am planning on writing off the bike anyway.

I look at it this way....I bought these for the day I simply drop my bike or forget to lower the stand....I figure moving I am planning on writing off the bike anyway.

That's my thought.

I like my sliders, but I went with the ones from Over Racing and some custom machined extensions to make sure they would touch first.

.I bought these for the day I simply drop my bike or forget to lower the stand....I figure moving I am planning on writing off the bike anyway.
My guess is that the sliders will do more than that. They'll probably handle a low side at a moderate speed and preserve the bike enough to pick it up and ride it home with out trouble. Happened to me more than once. Anyway hope you never use them.

I like Kev's solution because it is virtually invisible. What made my final decision was that I didn't love the new-style valve covers. So when Todd posted that he was making a head-guard that would mate with a retro cover I thought that solved 2-problems for me, one for when potentially drop it and another for cosmetic reasons.

Kev, could you post a photo?

YLH6058Gsk5Ylt7UwZj8sCX3mfSHpsmMXPT2hJTQxlCWLx8C9B3YA6AogcXxXiibgPZeWfVrBLS_ls-oc-oxY4PJwKs18Xdjmvf0rVeTrb7_VaQKxnkgBZgDG7_sWxgGtXJY-7mGB7L3qv9H7xUygdqyUSsD7cjn8NyPc4A41-h-_ETnNShEFV-WgmrXcyUrzoMc9igRx-Sm-n8HDCmFLrmUuilaTUCRQeBVR8LfWeVozUYioJsfJvccXW9AS_7Z8uH27P8U4nLaZCzZdW5xvx2nXJDv8IZPY2iYEJrF8u2SqxSJApOANOj3z6IoDxCTSB3pgflwt2SgRCXwrBdVr65KHPkr_ykU9XV29jAvuY_db-TqFz6TkyKvc4iZJDVWrHM1XbpycUwzDAN54mQAE-fEn-QSHPEeAii83zX9tjUQdXSMStjMGxnekeFAUO6I2XBkVUcv3Rfsbav67nZihQVIORmRapeiYrTCGHHoaG5Sa4oNltOcCLH59wiwE6hbQrMhsFvlHJPa1qSu4EzpArhai1A2Z7xnfO48W9sJ4w6A7EKKtgz9Qn74zNVB4PO50t4SIaagTaFpwvZlXQmlagqdKfK9EXQ4oB9aCBOBC1ex05GBeDlcKxtcf9HmLnuAhrq36HmQFhtD8-u8PIjy4sSjMSdo1Sw7bgoWyFA3d7I=w1372-h897-no

I had a detailed post on WildGuzzi years ago, maybe I cross-posted it here too, that showed a close up of the assembly, with tight front views so you could see the relationship to the cylinder head with and without the spacers. What was nice about the design on the Over Racing sliders was the mount that sticks out and holds the poly slider was 2 pieces, so all I needed to do was get aluminum machined to match the diameter and add longer bolts to stick them out more (this was back in 2013 and the slider was designed for the thinner jugged 2TB V7 models). I'm not sure if they've updated them yet. Hard to find. Jenn ordered them direct from Japan for me as a gift.

StreetSkills5.jpg

Back