• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Falcone Clutch Button Bearing Modernization

GTM®

Administrator
Staff member
GT di Razza Pura
Thanks to Patrick Hayes:

Last week Bill Irwin floated the idea of replacing the crude, loose-ball clutch throwout bearing with something technologically superior. He tweaked my imagination and directed me to some commercially available captive balls and races.

This represents a few hours of lathe work while I figured out techniques and dimensions and sequencing the various procedures.

FalconeBrng3 PH FalconeBrng2 PH FalconeBrng1 PH

The captive balls and grooved race washers are commercially available and made from 52100 chrome steel. I fabricated the support piece and the cover cup out of stainless.

Runs smooth as silk. It has to last much longer than the stock bits.

I wanted to make a "double cup" affair like the stock bearing but there isn't enough room available unless I make VERY thin wall cups. I think this overlap between the cup and the support will be enough to retain grease adequately.

These caged balls and races are nominal 14mm OD. There is an alternate brand available at 13mm OD and that would allow for thicker walls and the possibility of true, double-cup overlap.

Either way, the bearing is not sealed and will always need periodic attention to replace the grease as it gradually oozes out.

BTW, as an aside. Regardless of what bearing you use, when your clutch cable snaps, the clutch lever arm flops outward and the entire bearing system goes bounding down the road. Many of my Italian friends use a loose zip tie on the clutch arm so that the arm can't flop away if the cable breaks. At least you don't lose the bearing. I'll try to get a picture. Always carry a spare bearing AND a spare cable.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Nice job Patrick! If you made some spares I'll happily buy one.

Old thread but as I just got one of these I am doing some research. It would be most welcome to find out where to get a bearing setup like this, or even a stock spare to carry with the bike. A spare cable would be a good addition also. I like the idea of somehow making the clutch arm captive if the cable breaks. I will look into that.

Thanks for all you do.

Marc

Back