RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi resource site. Be sure to click on the Store link/tab above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GT products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. You will get shipping info when your order goes out. PLEASE refrain from using the Contact form here to ask about your order Status, or questions best posted to the Forum. Be sure to try a search; Most questions are well covered here already. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something you’ve purchased from us. We do not have a phone number; We are online only. You will find us highly responsive via the Contact form with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future.

Fault free SERVICE! error and ECU-DISCONNECT fix

Discussion in 'BNS12 Chat & Tech' started by Breva120008, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Breva120008

Breva120008 Just got it firing!

Following a long period of the dreaded SERVICE! and red triangle of doom on the dash and no errors appearing followed by a half hearted root around by me and a session in a dealer all to no avail, I was presented with the ECU-DISCONNECT message and a dead Breva 1200 following the normal clock sweep on ignition ON.

After dutifully checking all the usual suspects of battery, fuses, every connector I could find, dash connectors, speedo, oil, and neutral sensors, I finally found a thread on a Griso forum suggesting the earth wire on the ECU may be the culprit, and after some faffing about and teaching the neighbours some new words it turns out that there doesn't need to be much tarnishing for it to kill it's connection off...... I use the word tarnish because it wasn't corrosion in the usual sense.

This has left me with a sense of surprise at the total absence of signs of corrosion in the harness connectors!!

Android and john zibell like this.
  2. mojohand

mojohand Cruisin' Guzzisti

Did your work eliminate the SERVICE! light from, well, lighting? My brother's '08 Norge (and '07 before that) does this.

3. Breva120008

Certainly did Mojo, having trawled through the numerous posts about electrickery issues earthing seems to play a big part and almost seems to be the first port of call, especially when the error codes aren't pointing you in a clear direction. Good luck!!

4. Gazdok

Gazdok Tuned and Synch'ed

What did you do to the connenctors? Which connentors are they? I had the red triangle and Service message earlier this week. I checked the errors and had 03, 04, 05, and 07 showing. I deleted the errors but some came back but the red light went off only to come back on the next day.

5. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

He's talking about the earth wire on the ECU. Regarding your error codes, check them against the list to see what they refer to, some are down to the oil pressure sensor.

6. Android

Android Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

the dodgy ECU earth problem not just Guzzi fault , had my 2003 Ducati Multistrada do it to me to ...suddenly died on my way home

7. Breva120008

As BrianUK says, I removed the earth wire from the separate ground bolt. you have to remove the ECU to get at it though and it is an awkward job, but doable..... If I remember correctly I also had a few spurious codes which lead me to look at the connectors first. My assumption is that the ECU needs a very good grounding and if that drops off then it becomes a bit confused...

john zibell likes this.