• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Gearbox breather bolt problems

Bobby

Tuned and Synch'ed
GT Famiglia
Hi guys, having a bit of an issue with my gearbox breather bolt on my 13' V7 and hoping you can help me out. It keeps on weeping a good amount of oil and from what I understand you're supposed to remove the bolt and blow through the hole to stop that from happening. I just can't remove the damn bolt. It unscrews a bit and then just spins and won't unscrew any more. So is there some kind of trick to getting this thing out?

Sounds like Luigi over tightened it at the factory and damages the threads. If you can tighten it do so. When you change the gearbox oil, see if you can somehow clean the vent with either compressed air, or solvent. If you use solvent, leave the gearbox open for some time to allow all the solvent to evaporate before putting in fresh oil. Also confirm that the gearbox is not over filled.

You might be able to remove it If you could lift up while turning, but putting it back in could be problematic. If under warranty I would have a dealer fix this as you may need a new gearbox case, or at least have the case repaired.

Back when the big block 5 speeds vented through the shift drum detente spring pumping oil was common if non synthetic was used. I found switching to Mobil one gear oil prevented this type breather having a problem. Might be worth a try in your case.

Thanks John. I will try the solvent & compressed air next time I change out the oil. Been using a liter of agip eni 85W-90 gear oil but I will give the Mobil one a shot also. Bike is way out of warranty and I'm guessing a new gearbox case won't be cheap so this might be something I have to live with. I just wonder how much oil I can lose before causing damage to the tranny.

Bobby, Does you bike have a center stand? Even with one it is difficult to drain all the oil. On the next fill, try just adding 900cc and see how that works. It should be plenty of oil as it will splash around quite a bit and should lubricate properly with that amount. BTW, I have quite a bit of 5 speed big block experience, the specification was 750cc, but I would only put in 700 to prevent pressure problems since there is always oil remaining when you drain a gearbox.

Brian, no tube, just a bolt above the gearbox that's supposed relieve pressure. Tube might be a V7II or III feature.

John, no center stand but I just sit on the bike and rock it back and forth for about 2 beers. I'm definitely gonna try less oil next time. Still wish I could remove the bolt because the washer is chewed to sh!t with all the loosening & re-tightening but whatever. You might be right about it being overfilled because I just rode 20 miles on the freeway today with no visible weeping, but I was fiddling with the bolt lastnight so who knows. Sometimes it's a weeping widow, other times nothing at all. Feels like excessive rev-matching and heavy acceleration in 5th causes it to happen more. Thanks for all the tips!

Sorry to bring this thread back.

As I stated in the oil level check thread, on my 2019 V7 III Stone (all stock about 200 miles on the clock), there is no sign of oil at the gearbox breather, but the oil filler lug was very tight (compare with the final drive level check plug) and when I finally got it opened, there was air escaped from the hole. Is this normal? I got a nice reminder from a member of Moto Guzzi facebook group suggesting that I check the gearbox breather valve to make sure that it venting properly. What do you think? Thanks.

Sorry to bring this thread back.

As I stated in the oil level check thread, on my 2019 V7 III Stone (all stock about 200 miles on the clock), there is no sign of oil at the gearbox breather, but the oil filler lug was very tight (compare with the final drive level check plug) and when I finally got it opened, there was air escaped from the hole. Is this normal? I got a nice reminder from a member of Moto Guzzi facebook group suggesting that I check the gearbox breather valve to make sure that it venting properly. What do you think? Thanks.

Checked the breather and it appears to be working properly. I was able to blow air through the opening and the ball moves freely when shaking it.

Back