• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Got some questions about my Norge

bb49

Tuned and Synch'ed
I have a few questions about the Norge I just bought (but won't be seeing for a month).
Btw, it's an 07.

What side is the battery accessed from? I have to buy a harness for my electric vest and have it added, maybe by the dealer. So I'll want it coming out the left side. Of course I have a harness somewhere around here, but....:think:

What octane does the Norge take? Regular gas?

Is there a temperature readout on the bike, for outside temperature. I saw a post where someone commented on the snowflake icon showing on their dash.

I'm sure I'll have a few more questions as time goes on.

Battery is under the seat. You can run the lead out easily.

Octane.... I run 89-92 on my 1100 Griso(4V) and 1200 Norge (8V)

Yes, there is an ambient temp gauge, and you can switch it between and C and F.

There are several sites, this one included that let you download the owners manuals.

Hey bb49, I have a 2012 Norge and the battery is accessed by removing the seat (using key to unlock it). I always use Chevron 93 octane or Shell 91 octane, both are ethanol free. My dash shows the outside temperature. Your bike being a 2007 and mine a 2012 they should be very similar or even the same.

Since your sort of close to Vancouver, Chilliwack Motorcycles Is the place to go for any service work on your Norge. Gord, their mechanic is the go to guy when it comes to Moto Guzzi. http://www.chilliwackmotorcycles.com/shop-by-brand/moto-guzzi-motorcycles.html

Last edited:
... there's plenty of juice to run your gear. I believe it's well over 500 watts.:)

Thanks.

Now I have a few more questions. It's all because I'm sitting 400 km away from the bike, which is sitting at the dealer's. There was no owner's manual in the bike, so I downloaded one but I'm not printing it. 104 pages! And of course the guys at the dealer don't see many Guzzis so I'm on my own.

1. It looks like the manual calls for a minimum 90 Octane rating for gas. Is that correct?
If so, does anyone run 87?
2. What's with the Anti-theft light? Is there some kind of anti-theft system on the Norge?
3. The manual mentions one option is a Tom Tom GPS system. On the Norge I bought, there is a wire coming up behind the dash with a male-end telephone type jack on it. Is this for the Tom Tom? There's also a bar running across from one side of the handle bars to the other with velcro on it. So possibly the previous owner had a GPS mounted on it.
4. The MODE button, on the left grip. Is that what they are referring to when they talk about the SET button, or SELECTOR button? Right now I'm concerned about resetting the trip odometers.
5. Opening and closing the side bags and rear trunk. The salesman really struggled with this and there is nothing in the manual. If it's a complicated explanation, don't bother. I'll figure it out.

Thanks and sorry to be a bother.

1. It looks like the manual calls for a minimum 90 Octane rating for gas. Is that correct? If so, does anyone run 87?
I run only premium in my 2012. It gets lousy mileage (worse than my 1400 California got) but I had a buy regular or push situation with my 2007 Norge and it knocked fairly easily and loudly with that. 90 is an intermediate grade between the two but I stay on the high end and waste money. Plus I get to listen to my brother with his FJR Yamaha laugh at me pumping high test.

2. What's with the Anti-theft light? Is there some kind of anti-theft system on the Norge?
Not really. Just a deterrent. Use the instructions in the manual and turn the light off. It is annoying im my opinion.

3. The manual mentions one option is a Tom Tom GPS system. On the Norge I bought, there is a wire coming up behind the dash with a male-end telephone type jack on it. Is this for the Tom Tom? There's also a bar running across from one side of the handle bars to the other with velcro on it. So possibly the previous owner had a GPS mounted on it.
The Tom Tom plug should be green. New it is wrapped tightly against the frame just to the front of the fuel tank. Sounds like the PO had a GPS mounted as you state. If you go to a Garmin there is an adapter wire mentioned in several threads on here. It is from a BMW. The bar running across the handlebars does not sound all that clean of an install but maybe he had more than one electronic piece mounted. I used a RAM ball mount screwed to the wire guide on the upper clamp. See the photo below.

4. The MODE button, on the left grip. Is that what they are referring to when they talk about the SET button, or SELECTOR button? Right now I'm concerned about resetting the trip odometers.
That is exactly what you think. No, you will not understand it or get it first try but after a bit it is reasonably easy to use.

5. Opening and closing the side bags and rear trunk. The salesman really struggled with this and there is nothing in the manual. If it's a complicated explanation, don't bother. I'll figure it out.
Not that hard but a bit fidgety. You have to remember to flip out the rear lock before trying to open the bags. Also, if you go to remove the bags there is a wire clip in the front that is a safety hook so if you don't latch them properly they won't fly off. If you don't flip it up you can't pull them off. The trunk lid doesn't pop up like I feel it should (if I were king). Just turn the key the correct direction and lift the lid. Turning the key the other direction releases the trunk from the bike.

Attachments

• IMG_0862.JPG
    IMG_0862.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 22
Just wondering about having some work done on the Norge when I get it home. Maybe have all the fluids changed?

It's a 2007 with just under 15000 kms on it, or just over 9000 miles. The dealer has no past history on the bike, other than it originated from Ontario.
They did put new tires on it and did a thorough inspection when they got it last fall. It started fine in the showroom, so here's hoping the battery is good. Probably the original.

So is getting all the fluids changed a smart move?
I'll probably change the oil and maybe the rear differential myself when I get it home. On the Wing that was an easy job.
Whats it like changing the tranny oil?
What's the air filter change like? It was brutal on the Wing.

Other than that, I'm not a wrencher but there is a Moto Guzzi dealer in town

I did leave a heated vest battery wire with the dealer and asked him to put it on.

Rudy, thanks for the pic of the GPS, but I had to mount it on the Wing off to the side, by the right grip. Seems my hi-vis jacket reflected in it.
Does a Ram mount fit beside the Norge grip?

If you can master the art of fuel tank removal the air filter isn't bad. Do a search on here and there are several discussion for removing the quick disconnect (it's a lie) fuel line from the tank. If it is like both of mine have a piece of fuel line plugged at one end to slip over the tank end or it will drip everywhere. Alternative is make sure the tank is low on fuel and hang the end up high enough that the fuel isn't trying to run out of the line.
You have a 2007. I would run the tank low on fuel and look inside with a bright flashlight. If you see a fuel filter that is half plastic and half steel replace it while the tank is off. They are known to burst and you lose fuel pressure.
https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/all-metal-in-tank-fuel-filters/
There is much discussion about it on this site.
Read the manual and put the correct amount of oil in the transmission (gearbox) instead of filling to the bottom of the hole. Same for the final drive. I measured the final drive into a Ratio Rite when I drained it and put in the same amount. Heck, it even agreed with the manual if I remember right. The transmission is only a bit harder due to the exhaust being in the way. I put aluminum foil over the pipe and shape it to aim for the container. I then put in the called for amount. Easy way to do that in the horizontal hole is a trip to the beauty store and get the hair dye bottle with the spout facing off at an angle. I prefer the ones that don't swivel. Cut the tip off a decent size for the thick oil and it is even graduated in cc's.
I change all the fluids including brake and clutch in every used bike I purchase.
Look on the RAM mount site. You may be able to get something that goes on the mirror mount. Otherwise some fabrication. I mounted the one on my PC800 to the clutch reservoir cover.
I checked this site so and found these : https://www.guzzitech.com/?s=gps&post_type=product.
Not sure how they would mount on a Norge as you are lacking any clear opening of 7/8" handlebars and the mounting is not shown well. If you like them you can ask Todd if they can be adapted.

I have this factory mount with the factory prescribed (at the time) TomTom. Fits on the triple clamp, rubber mounted, and no reflection. The TomTom uses the factory wiring cable that is hiding under the front of the fuel tank. Plug and play, and power to the GPS come on with the key.

http://www.motoguzzi-canada.ca/motorcycles/norge-gt-8v/accessories.html Code: 886955

Todd also offers multiple GPS Holders from GIVI which I have seen before on an Aprillia, and are very high quality (Givi always is): https://www.guzzitech.com/store/product/gps-holder-5-inch-screen/

B9312181 886955 S954

Reactions: BDS
Let's try reposting this one too, though I did get an answer from abbienormal I believe, possibly the answer will help others.

Having pulled the seat off, I was a little puzzled about a couple of things that I found.
One was this braided line that sits on top of the battery, with the black rubber tip.
IMG 5237

And this red, black, yellow plug.
IMG 5238

I had also noticed a line coming up behind the windshield, with what looks like a plugin for a telephone jack.
I had thought it was for the GPS put possibly it's for a radar detector. I'll have to do a little digging for the GPS line.
IMG 5239

Braided line= clutch bleeder

Plug= ECU connector. Should really get a cap for that. Not something you want getting wet.

Telephone jack= hotline to Guzzi Technical Center where they will answer all your questions. Good luck getting someone to respond with an intelligent answer.

Braided line= clutch bleeder

Plug= ECU connector. Should really get a cap for that. Not something you want getting wet.

Telephone jack= hotline to Guzzi Technical Center where they will answer all your questions. Good luck getting someone to respond with an intelligent answer.

Braided line. Brake line bleeder too?
Plug, ECU connector. I removed the cap for a clearer picture.
Telephone jack. Do they answer in Italian? :banghead:

Thanks

Braided line. Brake line bleeder too?
Plug, ECU connector. I removed the cap for a clearer picture.
Telephone jack. Do they answer in Italian? :banghead:

Thanks

Clutch only.

Very good.

Yes. but they will invite you over for dinner and a nice bottle of chianti when u r done.

Back