• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

GTM V7 Mk I-II Oil Sump Spacers

Hmm I dont really see the need for a sump spacer .
My V7 Classic has done 20 odd thousand miles since 2010 some of them hard revved :roll:
Cruised at 80mph two up on the autostrada's of Italy , motorways of England & France in temps ranging from -2 to +35 degrees C and never missed a beat !
Did one leg of solo fully laden running in France from Le Chatelard in Savoie ( French Alps ) to just south of Calais in a day no prob some 500 miles !!.
Each to there own I guess but not for me :cool:

In the oil and gas industry, we run large volume sumps on our gas compressor engines that run 24 hours a day, all year long. They typically run 2200 to 2800 hours between oil changes at full loads(these are 1500 to 3000 horsepower units). These units will go 3 to 5 years between overhauls and will only be shutdown to change oil, filters, set clearances and inspect valves and heads with a boroscope. The engines with these large volume sumps run barrels of oil, not litres, and rely on the added oil capacity to ensure that the oil is still affective and not breaking down. Were I work, we have done extensive oil testing to establish the frequency between oil changes. I would think on a small volume engine, sump spacer can only benefit the engine by providing lower oil temperatures by increasing the surface area of the heat exchange, it would also less likely to lose suction on steep hills (not sure if this could even be an issue) and if a person wanted too, go longer between service intervals or at least ensure that their oil is still healthy and effectively doing its job.

If I still had my Breva 750, I would have installed the sump kit by now I never had issues overheating, but there were times in 30C+ temperatures that there was lots of heat billowing off of the engine that I had thoughts about the state of my oil.

More oil = cooler running oil = longer oil life = healthier components in the engine.

This is just my opinion based on my experience in a different environment. I am sure that someone can speak more scientifically to this than I can who might have done testing on their oil.

Todd, Are there functional differences between v1.0 and v2.0? Or are the changes just cosmetic?

I'm sold out of the first gen versions, and V2.0 just arrived as shown below. These are still Made-in-the-US versions, not like those found elsewhere on the net. They will still come with two gaskets and all necessary hardware for mounting. The silver version is raw aluminum, which I've only kept two from the batch. Black is now anodized instead of powder-coated.

You can purchase them on the Store tab above or online HERE as of now.

Thanks for the continued support.

GT V7PnScpr Blk

GT V7PnSpcr AL

Hamlin Cycles in CT is working on a 2015 Stone for me as we speak. Along with a remap for pipes I've asked Jim to order a sump extender. My experience with small motors is enough to convince me that more oil in the sump is better.

Along with a remap for pipes I've asked Jim to order a sump extender. My experience with small motors is enough to convince me that more oil in the sump is better.
It is cheap insurance, and while the new motor doesn't necessary consume oil like the >'12 models did, the factory simply overfills the '13+ motors to 2L, which is detrimental IMO. There is no downside to more oil in the sump. Look forward to getting you one.

I understand. What I meant was I thought I read that M-G raised the full mark on the stick and that was leading to oil in the airbox if the owner was not careful. I should have been more clear.

I read that M-G raised the full mark on the stick and that was leading to oil in the airbox if the owner was not careful.
MG raised the full mark starting on the '13 model to current. I still use the '12 full mark, which is the first solid (Min) line from the bottom. Basically, add the pan spacer with new filter, add 2.5 qts, run and pull and check. It will likely be on the line I'm referring to.

Interestingly enough, our friend Chuck is on the tail end of installing a hemi-head Guzzi drone engine power plant into his SB Lario. The picture below is of the power plant, and low and behold, Guzzi ships it with a sump spacer.

GuzziAero Motor

Todd,

The sump on the V7iii looks a bit different than the old one (it's at least missing the front drain plug, right?).

Has the old volume changed, and will the old space fit or are you working on a new one?

I suppose no chance you could fit a sight glass in it? Kind of miss having a sight glass on this bike.

The sump on the V7iii looks a bit different than the old one (it's at least missing the front drain plug, right?).
The whole bottom end of the engine is the same, so my sump spacer should work fine. I have them on my V7 II rentals. I'll be putting one on my V7 III Stone at the first service. A proper sight glass in this design would need to be near the seam where they join the engine block, so it won't work.

The whole bottom end of the engine is the same, so my sump spacer should work fine. I have them on my V7 II rentals. I'll be putting one on my V7 III Stone at the first service. A proper sight glass in this design would need to be near the seam where they join the engine block, so it won't work.
Good news. I will wait and hear how it goes with your Stone.

I noticed that MG in literature claims a redesign of the bottom end, crank, and oil pickup if I am not mistaken. I am hoping you are right.

Kicking around the Internet with a Google search for oil sight glasses I found a number of intriguing products in the $20-$40 range that were sight glasses built into brass or aluminum bolts, of various sizes, and various quality. While the sight glass might not be in the ideal position for verification of perfect oil livel, seems like it might be ok to verify that the oil level is not too low (I am guessing with the spacer that oil level below mid spacer should not harm engine?). I'm looking at it as oil or no oil kind of thing. At least then I'm not fiddling with a dip stick. Some of the sight glasses were down in the half inch to 8/10ths thread diameter (some straight thread, some pipe thread). Would likely work best if a part of the spacer was left not finned. Could neatly fit on the side opp. the oil pickup between the two bolts close for support. Would sure make your product unique and I would think patentable.

Back