RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. Otherwise, be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GT products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. PLEASE refrain from emailing about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out; Email inquiries on orders slows everything down. Most questions you may have are well answered on the Forum; Be sure to try a search and/or post on the Forum. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number - We are online only - Do not email and tell us to call you. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our custom builds at GTMotoCycles.com or click the Service tab above.

GT-Rx Big Bore V7 I-II 820-2V (A long overdue review)

Discussion in 'V7/V85/V9 Chat & Tech' started by Gruzzer, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Gruzzer

Gruzzer Tuned and Synch'ed

My sincere apologies, I have neglected you all by waiting so long to write this but I was out riding so I hope you can understand.

Life at 750 was great and this is my second V7. I loved both but always wanted a little more punch and felt that the bike did too. The GT-Rx 820-2V Big Bore Kit fixed that. Now the bike really roars. The added torque in the low end is just what I was looking for. It pulls hard and smooth all the way through every RPM. It is also a huge plus in the 2-Up department along with Freeway riding when trying to get around traffic or distracted drivers (thank you CA for allowing splitting, shame on everyone else).

Highly recommended / Treat yourself.

SPECIAL THANKS:

Todd (GuzziTech) for building a kickass kit that ticks all the boxes / giving me the v7 I always wanted AND for saving the day with his brand new Racer 2V performance ported/flowed heads (silver linings) when he discovered a cracked rocker oil supply tube that ultimately revealed a damaged valve and valve guide topped off with a faulty cam. SF for installing the brand new ultra-hard coated camshaft that… mwrenn, a man whom I have never met and and who was nice enough to literally donate the above mentioned camshaft AND To whom a long overdue apology is also owed - Thank you for kindness and for saving the day.

The Moto Guzzi Spirit is alive and well in Malibu, CA (and also in Enid, OK).

cd0ff9ee-f76b-46c4-9d7b-e62ec69a4801.jpg

MOLT, DK-V7classic, ZClark73 and 4 others like this.
  2. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for the post MMD! It was a tedious adventure (as I nearly pulled my hair out tracking down that valve train "noise"), which led ultimately to a cam replacement (Thanks @mwrenn!). I had the motor apart several times chasing that one!
    Fueling was a bit of a bear, so thanks for all of your patience with it.

My input is that this is the first 2V "V7" I've ridden that lifts the front tire on hard throttle in first gear. As Gruzzer says above, the bottom end torque is now really good (arguably what most people likely expect it to be), and the GT-Rx® head porting really wakes the motor up above 4k RPM.

I've got just one set of 2V Pistons left on the shelf. Current plan is an exchange of bored and re-nikasiled cylinders (with dark grey exterior performance coating) that will ship with the kit with a core fee, and I'm also offering GT-Rx® Ported heads for those so interested. Contact me via the tab above for those interested, or best to buy the pistons, and I'll be in touch.

Thanks to Gruzzer for being the first to step up! You're forgiven on the tardiness. ;)

3. mwrenn

mwrenn Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

Glad you finally have the bike you wanted! Nothing like a few extra cc's and a good fuel map to really wake up the V7's!
    Nice looking bike, enjoy it!
    Cheers.

dejfidek and Gruzzer like this.
  4. BugSpatteredJacket

BugSpatteredJacket Tuned and Synch'ed

I will be watching this thread, would love to see updates and further impressions as time goes by. Quick question for Todd: what is the turn around time for installing this kit? I am far off from being ready (haven't even picked my new bike up yet) but if I did bite the bullet, is it realistic of me to think that I could book an appointment with you and ride down to Cali to have the bike worked on and then ride back home to Quebec, Canada? Food for thought and thanks!

This kit is a real game changer, excited to see more people do it and hear about their thoughts.

5. GT-Rx®

I just did the second install on our friend from Alberta below.
    If I had everything here ready to go (cylinder boring and re-nikasil and re-powdercoating can be timely, but I have a set I am cycling through for easy exchange - along with cylinder heads that have been performance ported), it is possible, but I would allow ~4-5 days here for exchange and final map tweaks, as well as you would need to do 600m/1000k for the head re-torque and valve adjust before heading North. Upside is that we have a room and bike rental to occupy your time while here.

PK-V7II-820.jpg

6. Bobby

Bobby Tuned and Synch'ed GT Famiglia

Hey guys, I've had my '13 V7 Stone with the 820 2V + ported head mod for about 2000 miles now, approx 13000 miles on the bike total. Here's my little mini review... In short, it's pretty awesome.

First I think it's important to note that I have a serious thing for the V7, it's a beautiful looking bike and once you take care of the fueling, throw on a nice set of pipes, air filter and change out the suspension, etc., it really starts to shine, but I'd be fibbing if I said there weren't times I kinda sorta wanted a bit more when laying on the throttle. And so on occasion I'd find myself playing around with the idea of picking up a new Bonneville T120 or maybe a Ducati Scrambler, etc.... But regardless of hp, I can't really find a bike that appeals to me in the way the V7 does. Maybe I'm weird but it just looks, feels, and sounds like no other bike on the market today.

So then I thought what the hell maybe I'll just throw some more money at the V7, see what happens. Went ahead and purchased the pistons from the Guzzitech store and emailed Todd to schedule an install, -as I'm lucky enough to be living near his shop and who btw has been an absolute pleasure to deal with. Super knowledgeable and just an all around cool guy. But ok still to be honest after dropping it off, I wasn't all that sure what to expect. This mod isn't exactly cheap and I was sort of wondering about whether the improvement would be significant enough to justify the price. Couple weeks go by and and I finally get an email from Todd saying it's all done. I drive down and after a short convo, we fire it up...

And I was like damn...I don't remember my V7 sounding like a freaking beast! It now had this harmonic clackity racket quality with a deep twang to it when you twist the throttle. I don't even remember being able to hear the motor over the exhausts but now it was loud and it sounded kinda pissed off. Really brought a smile to my face. Still, how does it perform? Doesn't just sound cool no?

No, the thing freaking flies. Taking it down PCH for the first time, it performed how the motor sounded, pissed off, and any concern about investment vs return quickly disappeared. The power comes on effortlessly and the torque off the line feels dramatically improved, so much so that I am now blasting off the line at stoplights where before I was just kind of "taking off". The motor screams on acceleration and has a sweet sounding ring to it when letting off the throttle. And just when it hits 5.5k or so and I'd expect it to run out of breath, it catches me off guard with a surge of power like its inhaling the atmosphere & belching it out the pipes. Where I'd normally start feeling some resistance and a dip, it now has this IDGAF attittude that comes about and it just keeps on flying. I'd imagine that's due in part to the ported heads, a must if you're doing this mod.

All in all, money well spent and I couldn't be happier. I know the new V9 has a similar displacement but I'd be really surprised if it felt anywhere as niiice as this. So thanks again, Todd, really nice job with this one. [​IMG]

I'll give an update once I break it in more as the motor still continues to improve.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
    MOLT, Poppe, T_Guzzi and 5 others like this.
  7. Trout

Trout GT Reference

Thanks for posting it's nice to know what is possible out of these V7's.

Kudo's to Todd for spending the time & money developing these products.

BugSpatteredJacket likes this.
  8. GT-Rx®

Blue is stock, green is pre-fuel mapping for the 820-2V kit w/GT-Rx® ported heads, and red is the GT-Rx® 820-4V kit. That's all I have.

OEMV7-8202V-8204V.jpg

9. Gruzzer

Gruzzer Tuned and Synch'ed

UPDATE - I have about 10K miles on the bike now post 820 and the engine is just getting better and better. Throttle response is extremely smooth at every RPM and It really sings from 4,500 on.

I missed the first v7 / v9 ride but hoping there is another one soon.

MOLT, Poppe, DK-V7classic and 2 others like this.
  10. tibor

tibor Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

I have a 2014 V7 special. Is the kit still available and what's the cost of having it installed?

11. GT-Rx®

Poppe and tibor like this.