• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Headlight

Tuono

Tuned and Synch'ed
Looking for a larger arc of light, has anyone considered/investigated a HID or LED option
and is the current headlight circuit can-bus compatible?

Regards

Tuono

I just installed the HID Xenon headlight conversion kits by SDX that I got off Amazon. The high voltage power supply and controller for each light are difficult to squeeze into the 1400's headlight housing but it is very bright!!

I'd like to know how bright it would be with the LED's. Seems easier and cleaner to install than HID.

abbienormal
I would agree with your comments re the LED technology if the system was not CAN-BUS compatible but as it is CAN-BUS compatible, LED driver units are required.
These units are approximately the same size of a slim line HID ballast.

I just installed the HID Xenon headlight conversion kits by SDX that I got off Amazon. The high voltage power supply and controller for each light are difficult to squeeze into the 1400's headlight housing but it is very bright!!
kdirtrider
can you post some images of the install, any issues with heat in headlight?

kdirtrider
can you post some images of the install, any issues with heat in headlight?
Okay so here's the story... I'm in Michigan and it's been -10F! So I took the headlight off and worked in the basement. Made a harness and ran it off a battery for 15 minutes. The low beam gets too hot and smells like plastic melting. My IR temp gun shows 300F inside the bulb area and I'd bet it would be much hotter if left on much longer. Whoa! Too hot! Going back to a halogen bulb for the low beam. The high beam might be okay. I have to do more testing (maybe today). Here's a picture with both HID lights installed (yes everything fits order the cover, but Yuk!)

C14 Headlight

Okay so here's the story... I'm in Michigan and it's been -10F! So I took the headlight off and worked in the basement. Made a harness and ran it off a battery for 15 minutes. The low beam gets too hot and smells like plastic melting. My IR temp gun shows 300F inside the bulb area and I'd bet it would be much hotter if left on much longer. Whoa! Too hot! Going back to a halogen bulb for the low beam. The high beam might be okay. I have to do more testing (maybe today). Here's a picture with both HID lights installed (yes everything fits order the cover, but Yuk!)

Thanks for the heads up, the heat issue was one of my concerns. If the HID ballast fits under the cover, the LED drivers hopefully won't be an issue.

Regards

Tuono

Thanks for the heads up, the heat issue was one of my concerns. If the HID ballast fits under the cover, the LED drivers hopefully won't be an issue.

Regards

Tuono
I pulled out the HID driver for the low beam and did more testing with just the high beam installed. I powered it for 20 minutes without any melting plastic smells. The IR gun displayed 180F. Much lower than the low beam experiment. I think it will be okay but still going to do more testing before I sign off on it.

Can you post the LED options that you are considering?

Regards,
Kdirtrider

Thanks for the post and info. I have the LED versions on my store on the way to me to try in the RentAGuzzi C14C. I'll post up my findings and post a few pics.

Thanks for the post and info. I have the LED versions on my store on the way to me to try in the RentAGuzzi C14C. I'll post up my findings and post a few pics.

Todd

re the LED versions, will they require driver units to counter the CAN-BUS requirements? or are they load rated to achieve the same result?

Regards

Tuono

re the LED versions, will they require driver units to counter the CAN-BUS requirements? or are they load rated to achieve the same result?
I will find out and/or test when they arrive and let you know.

While on the subject of headlight, does anybody else have water spots on the bottom inside of their headlight? Nothing major but as my warranty runs out in April and it takes MG 6 months just to decide if they will warranty anything (then you can wait for the parts to arrive) I am thinking this will be my problem if it is prone to doing any damage. Any way to get in there and clean it?

Todd,

I'm interested to see if the H3 LED bulb will fit with the heat sink hanging off the back side. You might not be able to get the cover back on. Plus the heat coming off the radial fin heat sink might be a problem.
With that said, I hope it works because the HID sure didn't!

Regards,
Kdirtrider

I'm interested to see if the H3 LED bulb will fit with the heat sink hanging off the back side. You might not be able to get the cover back on. Plus the heat coming off the radial fin heat sink might be a problem.
I will certainly let you know. The newest LED bulbs I am getting in are much smaller in size then that shown on my site right now, and the sink doesn't seem to get that hot at all from my basic tests by hand and leaving it on for 10-15 minutes. I'll post my findings.

Is there anymore information on the LED's? The last post on this subject was almost a year ago. I'm considering going with the Sylvania Silverstars on my California 14.

I recently fitted a LED bulb for the H7 high beam. Got it from Xenon Depot. It has 4 copper braid 'tails' as heat sinks. Fitted in easily. The light performance seems very good from basic testing. I haven't ridden at night since the install. I am not aware of a H3 LED replacement for the low beam.

Stephen

While on the subject of headlight, does anybody else have water spots on the bottom inside of their headlight?...Any way to get in there and clean it?

I have similar. Spoke to the dealer here at the last service, and he mentioned it looked like the water was between the chrome ring and the outside of the light. Looked at it the other day and if I saw right, there may be some dead bug-critters in there too. Going back before I put the bike away next week and show him. Warranty runs out in July next year.

I have similar. Spoke to the dealer here at the last service, and he mentioned it looked like the water was between the chrome ring and the outside of the light. Looked at it the other day and if I saw right, there may be some dead bug-critters in there too.

Run a unwanted business card around between the chrome ring and the headlight to clear away bugs and other dirt bits. Works a treat.

If it is water spots inside the lamp (and not only the chrome ring) there is a MG service instruction to dealers. My dealer re-sealed the the lamp on warranty.

Back