RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - Be sure to check in on the GuzziTech Store, link/tab above. Thanks to your support, we will continue to bring to market our 100% Made-in-the-USA GT products here based on your input. Also note, we are subject to the delays of Italian made products this time of year, so thanks in advance for your patience on those orders... and PLEASE refrain from using the Contact form here to ask about your order Status, or questions best posted to the Forum or better yet, try a search. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something you’ve purchased from us. We do not have a phone number; We are online only. You will find us highly responsive via the Contact form with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future.
  2. Ciao Guest - Our Small Business discount... Now through December 15th, enjoy Free Priority Shipping (on most items) for any orders over $99 in our online Store linked above, use gtholidayfreeship99 code at checkout. We wish you the best for the Holiday Season.

Headlight

Discussion in 'New Gen Cali 1400 8V' started by Tuono, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Tuono

Tuono Tuned and Synch'ed

Looking for a larger arc of light, has anyone considered/investigated a HID or LED option
    and is the current headlight circuit can-bus compatible?

Regards

Tuono

2. kdirtrider

kdirtrider Tuned and Synch'ed GT Contributor

I just installed the HID Xenon headlight conversion kits by SDX that I got off Amazon. The high voltage power supply and controller for each light are difficult to squeeze into the 1400's headlight housing but it is very bright!!

3. abbienormal

abbienormal High Miler GT Famiglia

I'd like to know how bright it would be with the LED's. Seems easier and cleaner to install than HID.

4. Tuono

Tuono Tuned and Synch'ed

abbienormal
    I would agree with your comments re the LED technology if the system was not CAN-BUS compatible but as it is CAN-BUS compatible, LED driver units are required.
    These units are approximately the same size of a slim line HID ballast.

5. Tuono

Tuono Tuned and Synch'ed

kdirtrider
    can you post some images of the install, any issues with heat in headlight?

6. kdirtrider

Okay so here's the story... I'm in Michigan and it's been -10F! So I took the headlight off and worked in the basement. Made a harness and ran it off a battery for 15 minutes. The low beam gets too hot and smells like plastic melting. My IR temp gun shows 300F inside the bulb area and I'd bet it would be much hotter if left on much longer. Whoa! Too hot! Going back to a halogen bulb for the low beam. The high beam might be okay. I have to do more testing (maybe today). Here's a picture with both HID lights installed (yes everything fits order the cover, but Yuk!)

C14-Headlight.jpg

7. Tuono

Tuono Tuned and Synch'ed

Thanks for the heads up, the heat issue was one of my concerns. If the HID ballast fits under the cover, the LED drivers hopefully won't be an issue.

Regards

Tuono

8. kdirtrider

I pulled out the HID driver for the low beam and did more testing with just the high beam installed. I powered it for 20 minutes without any melting plastic smells. The IR gun displayed 180F. Much lower than the low beam experiment. I think it will be okay but still going to do more testing before I sign off on it.

Can you post the LED options that you are considering?

Regards,
    Kdirtrider

9. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member

Thanks for the post and info. I have the LED versions on my store on the way to me to try in the RentAGuzzi C14C. I'll post up my findings and post a few pics.

10. Tuono

Tuono Tuned and Synch'ed

Todd

re the LED versions, will they require driver units to counter the CAN-BUS requirements? or are they load rated to achieve the same result?

Regards

Tuono

11. GT-Rx®

I will find out and/or test when they arrive and let you know.

12. abbienormal

abbienormal High Miler GT Famiglia

While on the subject of headlight, does anybody else have water spots on the bottom inside of their headlight? Nothing major but as my warranty runs out in April and it takes MG 6 months just to decide if they will warranty anything (then you can wait for the parts to arrive) I am thinking this will be my problem if it is prone to doing any damage. Any way to get in there and clean it?

13. kdirtrider

Todd,

I'm interested to see if the H3 LED bulb will fit with the heat sink hanging off the back side. You might not be able to get the cover back on. Plus the heat coming off the radial fin heat sink might be a problem.
    With that said, I hope it works because the HID sure didn't!

Regards,
    Kdirtrider

14. GT-Rx®

I will certainly let you know. The newest LED bulbs I am getting in are much smaller in size then that shown on my site right now, and the sink doesn't seem to get that hot at all from my basic tests by hand and leaving it on for 10-15 minutes. I'll post my findings.

15. njlefevr

njlefevr Just got it firing!

Is there anymore information on the LED's? The last post on this subject was almost a year ago. I'm considering going with the Sylvania Silverstars on my California 14.

16. stephenm

stephenm Tuned and Synch'ed

I recently fitted a LED bulb for the H7 high beam. Got it from Xenon Depot. It has 4 copper braid 'tails' as heat sinks. Fitted in easily. The light performance seems very good from basic testing. I haven't ridden at night since the install. I am not aware of a H3 LED replacement for the low beam.

Stephen

17. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

18. Bouts

Bouts Tuned and Synch'ed

I have similar. Spoke to the dealer here at the last service, and he mentioned it looked like the water was between the chrome ring and the outside of the light. Looked at it the other day and if I saw right, there may be some dead bug-critters in there too. Going back before I put the bike away next week and show him. Warranty runs out in July next year.

19. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Run a unwanted business card around between the chrome ring and the headlight to clear away bugs and other dirt bits. Works a treat.

Bouts likes this.
  20. wissing

wissing Just got it firing! GT Site Contributor!

If it is water spots inside the lamp (and not only the chrome ring) there is a MG service instruction to dealers. My dealer re-sealed the the lamp on warranty.