• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Help 2013 V7 stone Brake Bleed that won't bleed.

Howardhughes

Just got it firing!
GT Contributor
Help, Non ABS 2013 v7 stone went to flush old dark brake fluid, used a hand vacuum pump on the rear bleed valve now I cant bleed the air out...the Res never went dry, even tried cracking the banjo bolt on the master cylinder and gravity drained then did the caliper banjo bolt to no avail. HELP.

I would help you if I could understand what you tried to write.

Please clarify.

What do you mean by “Never had the res go dry”?

Are you saying that your reservoir was completely empty before you started to change the fluid?

You don’t bleed out via a banjo bolt either. You just are not making sense. Sorry.

Too many ambiguities.

Sometimes you have to take off muffler, remove caliper & put bleeder up above the master in a strait line to the top on a table or box off to side of bike, have even had to take wheels off to get a strait line upward slant. I put a wrench in between pads so they stay put.

try pumping the lever several times to build up pressure then while hold it down open the bleed valve. Try that several times. Sometimes you may have to raise the caliper above the master cylinder as air will rise.

the system never went dry. Res = reservoir, we use that abbreviation in the 30 years as a aircraft engineer, guess it was too vague.

the system never went dry. Res = reservoir, we use that abbreviation in the 30 years as a aircraft engineer, guess it was too vague.

I completely understand “res” and its meaning. I have wrenched professionally on motorcycles for more than 40 years. I just retired recently.

Your original statements were incomplete and confusing.

By cracking open the banjo bolt, you have put air all the way down at the pump/piston itself now.

My recommendation is to:

1. Remove the caliper from the wheel.

2. Use string or a bungee and raise it as high as you possibly can ABOVE the height of the piston and fluid reservoir. Make height your friend as the air will rise to the highest point in the brake fluid line.

3. Place something solid, like a wedge or wrench, between the brake pads to prevent them crushing together.

4. Follow my instructions on the post I gave you the hyperlink to regarding 2 person bleeding.

One of you generate pressure by repeatedly pumping the piston then holding solid pressure while the other slowly cracks open the bleeding nipple with the long tube on it (sitting underneath a layer of clean brake fluid), and the piston/pedal slides smoothly and slowly. Close the bleeding nipple before the end of the pedal/piston stroke. Rebuild pressure and repeat again and again until all air has exited the clear tubing and only fluid is coming through.

Raising the caliper earlier will make air your friend as the air in the line will want to rise inside the fluid as you bleed out the line.

Do not let the reservoir run out of clean brake fluid while doing this.

Good luck!

I can’t explain the physics behind it, but this method has always worked for me to get the air out of non-ABS motorcycle brake systems.

Rig up a weight or other mechanism to keep the brake pedal fully depressed and leave it that way for 10 hours or so. After the wait period remove whatever you rigged up to depress the brake pedal and pump the brake several times. It should now feel firm and be void of all air.

Jason

You are welcome. Good luck.
A HEADS UP.... Followed your directions and after 50 brake pedal pump/bleed cycles (via my wife whom I wouldn't let her get near a tool/part) the Brakes bleed out with no air. Im hung up for pads now the Charlotte N.C. MG dealer didn't have them in stock..a bit odd. It would seem the action of lifting the caliper up level with the reservoir did the trick. Thanks again Sir for the tech tip. This is my first MG I'm returning to riding after a 35 year break. Taking the Motorcycle Safety Class @ our local Harley dealer, 3 days course.

Im hung up for pads now the Charlotte N.C. MG dealer didn't have them in stock..a bit odd.

A HEADS UP.... Followed your directions and after 50 brake pedal pump/bleed cycles (via my wife whom I wouldn't let her get near a tool/part) the Brakes bleed out with no air. Im hung up for pads now the Charlotte N.C. MG dealer didn't have them in stock..a bit odd. It would seem the action of lifting the caliper up level with the reservoir did the trick. Thanks again Sir for the tech tip. This is my first MG I'm returning to riding after a 35 year break. Taking the Motorcycle Safety Class @ our local Harley dealer, 3 days course.

You are most welcome. I’m thrilled you found it helpful in getting your task completed successfully. 😁👍👌

To anybody reading this (not directed at anybody in particular):

Please, we all enjoy this site FOR FREE!

Accordingly, we should SUPPORT the man who PAYS FOR OUR FUN HERE whenever possible…

Always if possible, send a request to GTM as he can get virtually every single OEM Moto Guzzi Part for you and his pricing can be quite pleasing and competitive.

Send your parts requests to info@guzzitech.com and please please please remember that Todd runs a SMALL BUSINESS and HE IS NOT AMAZON.COM

So do allow the very busy man a day or two to get back to you. It takes time to respond to all the inquiries and there is no reason to be impatient or impetuous.

Supporting the retail side of Todd’s business helps fund the free online site for all of us.

Give the man the chance to earn your business whenever possible.

Thank you.

Todd has made it really easy for you as he gave you a hyperlink! 👌👍🙏

Last edited:
Back