• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

high oil temperature?

Richard Ducati

Tuned and Synch'ed
All,

We just had our first 90+ F day here in west Michigan and I'm a bit curious on what others see for oil temperatures on their V7s? I put about 50 miles on and was riding spirited, but not like an idiot/racing. Oil temp when I stopped for fuel was 280 F on my dipstick temperature gauge. This seems a bit high compared to what I see on my Thruxton; albeit the triumph has an oil cooler.

Searched and found this thread, but wasn't really looking to add a cooler:

https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/v7-oil-cooler.10081/#post-76562

My machine is a bone stock '14 special that I picked up in early spring. I'm sure it's running lean on the fuel mapping. Other than a richer map, are there any other things I should be doing to help with this issue?

Thanks,

--Rich

Thanks. Yeah, I was planning on revised fueling by GT, but its just now a higher priority on my list. Even strictly air cooled, oil temps shouldn't go over 250 F

My suggestion is to toss that oil temp guage. Two reasons: It will snap off and drop the stick down into the pan, and two, you will always cringe at the temp, fuel corrected or not. While my fueling will lower the head temps, I can’t promise it will do much for the oil temp, as I’ve never tested for that.

In an age before time, I used to see temps like that, and much higher, with a racer Honda 400-4 that I built. That's where we got the temperatures down to with a huge oil cooler. The good synthetic oils handle it without any problem: they don't begin to carbonize until they're in the 350°F range, some have flash points in the 450-490° range.

So I'd dump the oil temp gauge and eliminate the distraction... :)

The problem with the oil temperature gauge is that it give you something to worry about when worrying is not needed. Ya gotta have faith that the manufacturer is not going to produce a product designed to self destruct. Worry less and ride more!! :)

Paul

The problem with the oil temperature gauge is that it give you something to worry about when worrying is not needed. Ya gotta have faith that the manufacturer is not going to produce a product designed to self destruct. Worry less and ride more!! :)

Paul

I totally agree with this statement. I used to have an Ultragauge that gives digital temp reading in my car. I'd watch that thing like a hawk cruising down the highway and would cringe at even the slightest uphill 195 to 201 to 210F, then back down to 188F on downhill, which is all perfectly normal and within range (temp gauge needle in the cluster did not move).

Being air cooled and no cooling system (radiator, waterpump, etc), that's one less thing to worry about. Between the normal maintenance and getting average mpg, I wouldn't think too much and just keep riding. :)

Thanks everyone for their input. As a general rule, I don't run around gazing at gauges and instruments that provide a bunch of extraneous information. I do, however, use these tools to set up a bike when I first buy it or when I've made a significant change in its equipment. For example, I've relied heavily on an Innovate A/F meter when making changes to my '04 Thruxton's setup - I'd have been lost trying to dial in the jetting of the slide carbs without this data. However, once dialed in, the Innovate gets removed and stored until the next time I need it. Having it constantly flash the A/F ratio would be quite a distraction.

I tossed the dipstick temp gauge in the hole just to give me an idea of how lean my Special was running and what sort of temps were being generated in the oil. I'd planned on getting a new tune to improve throttle response and allow the mill to run cooler...its a given that they are set up very lean in order to make the latest euro-x emissions standard and they all run hot. I just wasn't sure *how* hot they run or if I could wait until I came upon some lighter, better flowing pipes to fit before tuning. Pulled the trigger on the flash tool last night, so that change will come about soon.

In the meantime, I will just continue to ride her and dial in the suspension. As these machines have been made for quite some time, I'm not really worried that it'll grenade or something.

I use infra-ray temperature gun to test my oil temp...ya, I bought on because it was on sale on Amazon LOL...

When I was running factory map, my engine is consistently 130~135 Degree Celsius which is god freaking hot.....

So hot that I sometimes can smell the pipe LOL...

I have not test the new temp with modded map...probably should after I get a bit of time next week to ride...

My suggestion is to toss that oil temp guage. Two reasons: It will snap off and drop the stick down into the pan, and two, you will always cringe at the temp, fuel corrected or not. While my fueling will lower the head temps, I can’t promise it will do much for the oil temp, as I’ve never tested for that.

Todd,

You're spot on...the revised fueling map you sent is great. I finally had a chance yesterday to get out and give it a good run. My thoughts about the level of improvement pretty much mirrors this post by Dinsdale Piranha:

https://www.guzzitech.com/forums/threads/v7-v9-ecu-programmer-box.15762/page-9#post-139069

The oil temp. was, however, largely unaffected. The ambient temp was again at 91F, but it was more humid out. I even ran the same roads/distance as before to ensure a fair test, but I'm sure I was twisting my wrist a bit harder though, because it simply was more fun to do so. The oil temp was at about 280 F again after the run, but I did notice that the cylinders weren't pinging after shutdown like it would do when running the previous tune. A cooler head temp probably being the reason.

Anyway, now I plan on following your other bit of advice and pitching the oil temp dipstick.

Cheers,

--Rich

Back