• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

How to remove side orange fork reflectors?

frnco

Tuned and Synch'ed
does anybody know if those orange reflectors are glued to the fork? can they be removed?

thanks

maxresdefault.jpg

The fork reflectors on my V7II Stone fell off all by themselves at about 12,000 mi. Unlike you, I like orange, so I got replacements on warranty. The trick to keeping them on is to prepare the surface of the fork tubes with something like 3M #94 tape primer.

Like sib I like them. Mine fell off my Norge while washing it. I removed the OEM tape residue and cleaned the fork leg and the reflector with alcohol then used 3M double stick emblem tape, kind of a rubbery black tape, that I have had great luck with on other items. So far still on there.

I assume you are talking about this...

032916-Moto-Guzzi-V7-II-Stone-01.jpg

I've used this technique before with excellent results.

Spray WD-40 around the entire edge of the reflector. Let it soak in a few minutes. Take some very inexpensive plastic mono-filament fishing line, say 3 feet in length, wrap it around each hand a few times, (light-weight gloves would be helpful here but not necessary) and then place the filament on the top of the reflector, and while pushing the filament on both sides of the fork tube with your thumbs so that it conforms to the curvature of the tube, slide the line back and forth like a saw as you pull it down behind the reflector. The line will slice through the adhesive releasing the reflector from the tube. Any remaining adhesive on the tube, just spray with WD-40 again, let it sit for a few minutes, and gently wipe it off with a cloth also sprayed with WD-40. The adhesive will come completely off the painted fork leg with no damage at all and then the residual WD-40 can then be wiped off with a clean towel. ***Word of warning - BE CAREFUL that you do not spray any WD-40 on the brake rotor or brake caliper. As a matter of caution, I would probably drape a towel behind the forkleg as a barrier to any overspray. Good Luck!

As a Luddite, Order of the Commander, with Oak Leaf Clusters, I am forgiving of such. Occasionally, I will peck out a post or a reply here and on other sites and not see anything happen. I will redo it all only to find I have done a double tap ... or more. Doh. C'est la vie.

As for the merits of the OP's question, I suppose -- maybe, perhaps, could be, etc. -- that some life, somewhere, somehow has been saved by those side reflectors. Would like to see the data. I remember when that all started with cars in, I think, 1968. OK, I understand, especially for us motorcyclists to see cars inching out of hidden spots.

But, on motorcycles?

Mine didn't last a day after purchase. My brother, OTOH, keeps every stupid Big Brother decal on his tank, etc., and, since he is a retired OSHA geek, you can bet that he keeps on those reflectors and is appalled that I take off mine. Guess I'm lucky he doesn't narc me out to the Reflector Police. ;)

Bill

Mine came off right after I got home with the new bike. Then those annoying decals...

Back