• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Increased engine size.

farmboy460

Tuned and Synch'ed
I was wondering how I could increase the size of the engine on my California iii? One way may be to buy a 1064 cc engine off of eBay. I understand that there may be some ignition issues with an engine swap. What are those issues? Can I bore the jugs out and if so how big can I go? Do any of the newer engines bolt up to the five speed transmission in the bike? Thinking about the 1380 cc engine?

Basically not worth the effort. The only real difference in output on the 1100 engine is increased torque which is why the rear drive ratio is different from earlier bikes. My suggestion is if you want the bigger engine, buy a bike that was made with one. I had a CA III, and when I went to an EV I didn't notice any more power or speed over the CAIII.

If you are looking for a little more low end grunt or quickness check your final drive ratio.
If you have the 8:33 gears they are pretty much "touring" gears.
See if you can pick up a 7:33 rear unit.
That will give you more in the low end & a little less in the high end.

For the amount of time, money & aggravation you will spend swapping over to a 1400 you will be able to go out & buy a 1400.

Guzzi's have never been a "fast" 1/4 mile machine. They are designed to get up to 80 & cruise all day.
keep the R's hovering around the 5000 mark for the most fun.

I have seventy thousand miles on the Cali. It is the CI model with the full fairing. I was thinking about freshing up the engine so that is why I thought about going bigger as long as I was there anyhow. Not sure how much a person could bore the stock jugs but wondered if I could take them up to the same bore size as the 1064. Then pistons rings etc would be readily available and no more cost than just a regular rebuild. Or so was my thinking. How would I go about finding the rear gear ratio? Are the marked or do they have a tag on them?

The only way that works also is if the pin hight is the same. A rebalance likely in order as well unless the pistons weigh the same.

The CA III does have the 7/33 gear set it I remember correctly. I think the1100s are 8/32. With 70 K miles the timing chain is probably worn out. Put in a new one with a good after market tensioner (http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?ma...058a6dbe226e8e940&keyword=cam+chain+tensioner) and it may liven the old beast up. As for boring out to the 1100 size, the cylinder would need to be re-coated with nikasil. It might be easier (and cheaper) to just install a set of 1100 cylinders and pistons. And when you do that, put in the 1100 Sport cam. You may want to research if the valve sizes are different between the 1000cc and 1100cc engines, but I don't think they are.

Yes thank you for the response. Now I have started to look for a piston,ring,and jug kit but I don't seem to be able to find one for the 92 mm bore size lots for the smaller motors. I found a minty five mm piston set for cheap on eBay but that sounds like a kettle of worms. Perhaps I am not looking correctly. Or do I have to buy from the factory? Do the bigger jugs fit on the 1000 engine case with no kids?

Ouch! Looks like a low mileage used engine would be cheaper. What I found changing oil. A gob of bits stuck to the magnetic oil drain plug about the size of the last segment of your little finger. Appeared black and briddle. Next two oil changes very little to nothing on the plug. Third oil change dropped the pan to change the oil filter. Small amount of the same stuff in the bottom of the oil pan. Cut the filter open quite a bit in the folds of paper. Looked up from the bottom the inside of the cylinder walls looks good. No oil consumption very little smoke they only time is start up and I think it is fuel not oil smoke. I should do a compression test. Running royal purple oil in engine and gear boxes. Transmission shifts way better with the royal purple oil in it than the synthetic oil that was in it when I bought the bike this spring from the Guzzi dealer.

That makes me feel better. It came from the wet or west coast so that makes sense. Is this anything I need to be worried about?

What do you think of the idea of a low mileage complete engine? Pinwheel in Ohio sells them a thousand dollars for a running complete one. 250 more would get it shipped to the border close to me. I guess I would have to keep my fingers crossed that it is not an oil burner.

My suggestion would be to replace your cam chain and see how you current engine runs. No telling what condition a running engine would be in. It could be low miles, or need to be rebuilt to give long term service. Unless you know the history of the engine you don't know what you are buying.

Back