• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Mileage and Issues

FIRSTMG

Tuned and Synch'ed
I would hope that some members have California 1400's that don't have issues. From leaky tail light housings to broken fender tabs it makes me wonder if I should have research this bike aliitle more before purchasing it.
My 2014 Cali 1400 developed a slight oil weep between the right cylinder and the block. Not enough to drip, but enough to notice it. Upon remove of my bags, to adjust the shocks for two up I found bolts missing and others lose. I have only 250 miles.
I was hoping members could post the year, mileage, and any issues they had if any. And if it's issue free lets us know that. Maybe some patterns might start to show with regards to repeated problems.

If someone asked me if I would buy a Cali 1400 now I would say NO!
Although the bike is an absolute blast to ride..The QC is horrible! I would advise wait until the 2015 or 2016
comes out. This should allow for MG to iron out some of its weak spots...

My bike is now having a multitude of warranty work issues being handle. I am glad I have my 02 Cali
and Dyna to ride ...

MG Mike

My 2014 was bought used with 512 miles on it due to the previous owner passing away. He had already loctited the front heat shield screws but I lost one anyway. I now have about 7,800 miles on it. I have not measured them yet but judging by the pulse in my brake lever I have warped front brake rotors. You can't reset the service indicator yourself, ala BMW, and my dealer wants $50. The shorter initial checkup was almost $400 so I'll do the rest myself. My rear wheel was rusted on due to no grease in the splines. The saddlebags leak horribly though I have slowed it down some and the optional 50L trunk while being made as cheap as possible and feeling like junk does not leak. The saddlebags flex and feel cheap also when you have to remove them to adjust the shocks which were stolen from some por kid's pogo stick. The stock tires were toast by 4,200 miles. I had to pull the ground cable from the battery and engine block to clean the connections so the starter would work reliably.

Sounds horrible doesn't it? Why do I still like it then? A trip to Nova Scotia was 3,800 miles round trip and other than the aforementioned heat shield and leaking bags there was no problem. The ride is great though bouncy in rough turns. This is my first cruiser style bike. I did 400+ mile day on the stock seat no problem and I even am satisfied with the stock windshield. I can't think of another bike I can say that about. Yes I will need to upgrade the suspension just like almost every other bike I have owned. The lady friend liked the riding position but wanted the ridiculously expensive passenger floorboards. Not happening. She's gone. That was cheaper! I added the trunk, heated grips, a GPS, the fairing extensions and will keep making it better for me till I decide it is time to go. Not seeing that for a while.

2014 Touring, 2000kms, lost one heat shield bolt replaced it, I noticed a littlle water in the headlight last time I washed it.......and that's it It starts, stops and runs great OK some things could be better, rear shocks and adjusting, leaky saddle bags. I guess I got lucky, or it will all happen at the same time Knocking wood that I didn't just jynx myself

I bought my 2014 California 1400 at the end of August 2014. Approximately 2 weeks and 400 miles later, the rear fender was broken at the 'tabs' under the seat.

The dealer ordered the replacement (a week later). Two weeks since the order date, no update from MG as to when the fender will ship.

In my opinion, calling or emailing MG is pointless as they don't return calls nor do they respond to emails. Save yourself some frustration, don't call or email.

The bright-spot here is that someone at MG allowed Engineering/Manufacturing to build a great bike. Unfortunately that same someone didn't see the need to match great customer service along with the bike.

I know that this has been business as usual for MG, but I'll state it for the record 'What's the point in building great products if you don't support them or your customers?'

In the end it's a call that you have to make. While the bike is great, does MG's lack of customer support dampen the experience enough that you'd consider a lesser bike with a better customer service record?

And unfortunately I doubt that MG reads posts to this forum.

Last edited:
The on going saga....
First I must say Fast Trixx Dealer in Tallahasse is being very responsive.
The fender came in within a week...He removed it, lo and behold the
frame is bent. Well we know why the plastic fender broke....

Also my speedometer decided to fog up so much I could not read it..just another
thing in the litany of piss poor QC!...If I had purchased this bike in Fla. I would have returned it
under the lemon law!!! The dealer is going to go through the bike head to toe. Hopefully
this will allow me to get out and ride her...only 1700 miles on her so far....

MG Mike

UPDATE;
Called dealer about oil leak, they re-torqued that cylinder and said if the leak continues that they would replace the gaskets on that side during the 900 mile service. 30 mile ride home, oil still weeping. Less then 400 miles on bike.

Purchased my 2014 1400 Touring from RPM Cycles in Dallas and thus far no issues. One thing I have found out with the purchase of a new bike, if it is prepped right by the dealer issues will be minimal. The purchase was made in mid August and I have just turned 5,000 miles with her. The only issue I had was with the stock saddle, very uncomfortable for me, replaced it with a Corbin and am very happy with the change.

Each opinion on seats is different. I am sitting in a hotel room right now after a 386 mile day on the back roads of Ohio and Kentucky. One stretch was 3 hours and 136 miles without getting off the bike. Stopped again for gas. It was 5 miles into reserve but if the tank actually does hold 5.3 gallons I still had 1.6 gallons left. No discomfort on the seat.

Did around 700kms in two days, about an hour from the end of the ride I got a golf ball size cramp in my right buttock Stretched out my leg and it went away I think highway pegs may have to be looked at I find if the seat was just a bit higher or the floorboards a bit lower it would be perfect for me As it is I am putting my weight more on the back of my bum vs the whole thing. Oh and still no issues other than what I posted above!! Lovin' it!!!

Did around 700kms in two days, about an hour from the end of the ride I got a golf ball size cramp in my right buttock Stretched out my leg and it went away I think highway pegs may have to be looked at I find if the seat was just a bit higher or the floorboards a bit lower it would be perfect for me As it is I am putting my weight more on the back of my bum vs the whole thing. Oh and still no issues other than what I posted above!! Lovin' it!!!

So raise the seat up. Custom seat makers can to that for you. I had the make the seat taller on my B11 for about the same reason. Once taller, it was just fine. Winter is coming and that would be a good time to send the seat off to someone like Sergeant in Florida.

Update:

Reluctantly, I called Moto Guzzi on Monday and actually talked to a real person (first time ever). I explained the situation regarding the rear fender breaking, the dealer having no real idea when the fender would arrive, etc. I was promised a call back in two days while 'TJ' investigated.

Wednesday morning I recieved a call from the dealer saying that the fender arrived. Thirty minutes later I receive a call from TJ saying that the dealer should be calling about the fender.

I dropped the bike off at the dealer this afternoon to have the fender installed. They seemed to have no clue as to what to do other than just replacing the fender. I really hope that MG did give specific instructions regarding the inspection of the fender frame and the CS guy just wasn't informed.

My Dealer said that here was told there was a flaw in some of the rear sub frames manufactured. I am still waiting for mine to come in..Have them check the sub frame.

As a side note has anyone had issues with a slow reacting tach? Mine now has a delay when I rev the motor .
...yet another issue...Well at least the bike is still a blast to ride.

Thanks

I received a call from the dealer (Saturday morning) saying my bike (Calif 1400) was ready to pickup. As I had just dropped it off 4:30pm on Friday, I have to say I was impressed.

They had replaced the rear fender, with the new one supposedly just laying on the fender frame. (Not 'warped' or torqued at the under seat tabs like the original).

We'll see if the new fender stays in one piece.

They also did an ECU update which supposedly improves the idle. So far, it seems to have smoothed the idle out although it's hard to put my finger on what exactly changed.

Hello.
I am happy to report i have 5500 KMS and only minor issues so far. I had to re torque the heat shield screws a few times, i check this about every 2 weeks. I have checked both the crossover exhaust and the rear fender issues other people reported, no problems so far. I am aiming to take the bike in for second servicing at 10000 KMS, as i will be required to drive to Vancouver from Victoria, there is no dealer here on the Island. My only gripe is gas mileage, i am averaging as low as 27 MPG to 37 MPG mostly city driving.
I plan on using synthetic oil for the next oil change, Amsoil to be precise. I am also thinking about the GPS and Heated grip add-ons.

UPDATE;
The dealership had the bike for two days,replaced all the gaskets and reinstalled the right cylinder. They then preformed the 900 mile service, told me the bike was good to go. Picked it up, drove 30 miles home and found it to be leaking more oil from the the right cylinder, where the cylinder meets the block, then before they worked on it.
I called the dealership and they will either pick the bike up or I can drive it back. Very frustrated...... I just want to ride. :-(

I have had no motor issues....Still waiting of rear subframe. According to dealer it is backordered.
Sure sounds like a problem that is a common thing. Good luck on the motor.
If you bought the bike in Florida check out the lemon law. I dont now it may help you.

2014 Custom purchased with 6000 miles. Sold at 14,000 miles.

Reasons:
Stitching in seat was coming apart,
paint on tank & headlight blistered & peeled,
exhaust broke,
instrument cluster was "browning out" & on bright days with the sun behind you would blank out,
4th gear began to whine,
front end was bottoming out (& I'm a lite weight at a 125lbs)
if the bike sat for a couple of weeks it would up shift but not down shift for about 6 miles,
rear fender & exhaust shields continually loosened,
"chrome" parts began rusting,
in Florida heat above 80 degrees the heat from the engine was very annoying, temps at 90 & above were very aggravating,
30 to 35 mpg was best fuel mileage,
less than 10,000 mile rear tire life,
pain in the butt to perform routine maintenance especially if doing it while touring.

Closest GOOD dealer was too far away to start warranty claims on all this.
Cost of maintaining this bike compared to a Victory Cross Country Touring was more than I wanted to spend.

Next year I'm on the road to see as much of America as I can and I just could not convince myself to do it on a modern Guzzi without better machinery & dealer support. I never worried about the dealers in the 70's & early 80's. So after 40 plus years of riding & loving these bikes I have had to switch to a Victory. Good dependable machine but one of the most boring bikes to ride I have ever been on.

Mine has been trouble-free. None of the issues you guys mentioned except the loose heat shield. The dealer replace the missing bolt using a torque wrench. It is still holding tight.

My dealer -- Riders Hill in Dahlonega, Georgia -- does a very thorough job of setting these bikes up before delivery. The 1400 is my third new Guzzi from them. They check for ECU updates each time I drop any of the bikes off for service. Perhaps that attention to detail makes a difference.

As for gas mileage, mine is usually in the mid-to-high 30s. Not great, but I live in the mountains and ride fast. As a comparison, my Griso averaged low 40s mpg while my Cal Vin got around 45 under the same conditions. So I am okay with the 1400's gas mileage considering the additional weight and power.

I've never gotten more than 4-to-5 thousand miles from OEM tires on a Guzzi. Then I consult my tire guy for something better that lasts a lot longer. Unfortunately, the newness of the 1400 meant sticking with the same Dunlops for the first replacement. I hope more choices will be available soon.

My first couple of trips were shorties; 3,000 miles in less than a week. Pure pleasure. I would not hesitate to take the Cal 1400 on a ten thousand mile trip. In fact, I am planning just that in the spring.

Back