• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

New owner exhaust question

Sal

Just got it firing!
recently bought a new V7 special and I love it.. But I have found myself being merged on, on the freeway more than usual.. can I just remove the exhaust tips and leave them off without any complications?.. I've seen a YouTube video with a guy that has them off.. I just want a louder sound, until I buy a new system!

I wouldn't do that. Would be obnoxiously loud for one, not look good and would make the bike run leaner then it already is. Spend the money on a guzzitech reflash and exhaust system. I have the 2 into 1 and I am very happy with it.

Last edited:
Hey Sal, please accept what I say without offense. There is a myth that "Loud Pipes Saves Lives" & it is a myth.

We all like to hear the rumble of a well tuned machine but just the opposite will happen by removing the silencers on your machine.
Performance will degrade & you will be treated as just another loud, obnoxious guy on a bike.
The people in the cage's are not going to change their poor driving habits because your bike is loud. That is the truth.

If you are feeling crowded on the freeway then become super observant & develop quick reflex skills & be prepared for every stupid thing another vehicle can & will do. Practice defensive riding & it will serve you well on or off the super slab.

Save your money then buy the exhaust system that tweaks your buttons but also be prepared to spend the bucks on fixing the fueling issues all modern bikes have. Todd offers complete packages that can be done in a weekend and be done once instead of months of experimenting.

Just my opinion, it's free & free is what it is worth.

I pretty much was going to type the same thing as Trout did above.

You need to work on your riding habits. What do the guys on E-bikes do? They don't have exhaust.

The noise a loud set of pipes makes is almost entirely projected behind the bike. It is rare that from behind is where the danger is coming from, unless you are stopped in which case even a loud set of pipes is not very loud.
Bright colors and proper riding techniques are how you keep from getting run over on a bike.
Having an exhaust that sounds good is something completely different and has nothing to do with not getting run over.
Having an exhaust system that does not really sound good but is just loud for the sake of being loud is rude and makes all of us look bad.

In my opinion a small relatively slow bike with a loud exhaust is silly.
Like a Harley; lots of noise with little progress.
Don't let others know you're having fun; they will try to stop you

While I do love the sound of Todd's 2:2 system, I didn't buy it for safety. I bought it because it sounds GOOD. It's true, particularly on the highway, you simply don't hear those loud pipes in a car until right after they pass you, which doesn't help.

That being said, I've had my house shake from some of the most obnoxiously loud (usually Harley) bikes riding through the neighborhood. But at that point, you're just an asshole in my opinion who thinks he's cool. But you're not. You're just a douche.

Yeah, I completely agree. I had a Harley a while ago (I figured I'd see what all the fuss is about, it didn't last long!) and it had V&H open pipes on it. My girlfriend called them "male menopause pipes!". I soon changed them.
I've just fitted Mistrals on my V7ii Racer and without the db killers it runs like a bag of poo and sounds ridiculous. I've put the db killers back in, and getting it remapped and dyno'd next week, so hopefully it'll run even better now.
I can't believe that someone is asking about running a bike with no silencers at all! Do you not have police in San Diego? I'm not a goody-goody but seriously? No silencers?

Just to pile on here, I can tell you from 30+ years of experience driving emergency vehicles with forward facing, LOUD, sirens, that sound is a very poor alert mechanism on the freeway. I have followed cars for long distances with siren wailing and never been noticed until the driver finally looked in their mirror. With today's well insulated cars driving down the freeway with the windows up and their driver distraction devices activated (stereos, cell-phones, passengers) , they won't hear a bomb go off behind them, next to them, or probably in front of them until some other sense, like their eyes, alerts them to the presence of another vehicle. Loud exhaust pipes won't do it.

But, just like a siren, loud exhaust pipes WILL permanently damage your hearing, sometimes after a relatively short exposure to it. When you get older, you will really wish you had eschewed the use of loud exhaust pipes.

And lastly, I will confirm the thought that modern motorcycles run pretty lean and that ANYTHING you do to effect their fueling (change intake or exhaust parameters) will most likely need corresponding changes to their fueling system. And, when you have the opportunity to get a system that is already proven to sound better, and run better, than stock, it's the best and frequently the most economical way to go. You can spend a lot of money and time trying to dial in a patched together system. Todd does a good job of packaging together systems that include hardware and fueling software that are proven to work well together and won't require a bunch of trial and error on your part (I know that from experience also).
Garwood.

Back