RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? Lucky you... see our Service tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. Otherwise, be sure to click on the Store link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GT products and engine kits. We are still mostly a one man operation (not Amazon), so thanks in advance for your patience on orders. You will get shipping info when your order goes out. PLEASE refrain from emaling about your order Status, as you will get an email with tracking info when your order goes out. Most questions are answered on the Forum; Be sure to try a search and post there. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something on the Store or that you have purchased from us. We do NOT have a phone number; We are online only. You will find us highly responsive via email on the Contact page with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. Also be sure to see our custom builds at GTMotoCycles.com or click the Service tab above.

New to Guzzis and V65SP elect. problem

Discussion in 'Small Block' started by Mervk, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Mervk

Mervk Just got it firing!

Hi. Glad to join this form. Have an early 80's V65SP which isn't charging. Idiot light bulb is good. Tested the diodes in the rectifier and appeared ok, however one test I found online was to put the multi-meter between the earth lead and the battery earth terminal and look for a voltage leak. Mine has a leak of a little over 2v, and supposedly that indicates a faulty rectifier. However a new rectifier changed nothing. In fact, I can disconnect every wire from it except the output wire to the battery, and still register 2.1v with the neg probe on the neg batt terminal, and the positive probe on the rectifier body. Is this normal? I have a new regulator coming as well, and resigned to getting a new alternator. Welcome all suggestions on how to determine which bit is the problem. Cheers.

2. Brian UK

Brian UK GT Reference

The charge warning light is on all the time?

It is the correct size, 2.2W Bulb? If it's a lower rating it might not start charging. if it's been changed to LED, it won't work.

With ignition off, check on he alternator the resistance between the two brushes. It should be about 4 ohms. If it's much higher, check the slip rings are clean and the brushes are making good contact. If still higher, check the resistance between the slip rings on the rotor. Again should be 4 ohms. If open circuit, you need to get the rotor rewound, or replaced.

3. Mervk

Thanks for replying. The charge light does not light, however the bulb is good and lights if I earth it manually at the wire from the rectifier to the regulator. I suspect the regulator may be at fault and have a new one coming. Thank you for the info on testing the alternator fields, I shall test that this afternoon. The voltage leak of 2+volts from body of both old and new rectifier has me confused. Perhaps my multi-meter is too sensitive and giving a false reading?

4. Mervk

My new regulator arrived today and after simply plugging it in, the charge light comes on. So I shall now refit the tank and try it to see if it charges. Thanks for your reply. You'll hear from me if it doesn't. Cheers.