RentAGuzzi Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - Be sure to check in on the GuzziTech Store, link/tab above. Thanks to your support, we will continue to bring to market our 100% Made-in-the-USA GT products here based on your input. Also note, we are subject to the delays of Italian made products this time of year, so thanks in advance for your patience on those orders... and PLEASE refrain from using the Contact form here to ask about your order Status, or questions best posted to the Forum or better yet, try a search. We cannot answer questions direct unless it’s about something you’ve purchased from us. We do not have a phone number; We are online only. You will find us highly responsive via the Contact form with any questions on our products (only). We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future.
  2. Ciao Guest - Our Small Business discount... Now through December 15th, enjoy Free Priority Shipping (on most items) for any orders over $99 in our online Store linked above, use gtholidayfreeship99 code at checkout. We wish you the best for the Holiday Season.

No hands bike goes right

Discussion in 'BNS12 Chat & Tech' started by jcjf, Aug 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jcjf

jcjf Just got it firing!

Hey Guys,

I've put a couple thousand kms on this 2007 Norge. When I go no hands, doesn't matter if I am in a gear or not, the bike drifts right. Wondering what is going on there? New tires. I am guessing it could be a number of things but thought I'd ask the group. Thanks a bunch.

2. Roblatt

Roblatt High Miler

road camber?

3. jcjf

jcjf Just got it firing!

Thanks..but I don't think so. I'll try no hands on the left side of road....is that what you are saying? lol

I can maneuver my body to make it go straight but it is quite the shift I have to do.

4. Roblatt

Roblatt High Miler

Are you sure you're sitting true? Even a little imbalance will have that effect. I had that on my B11. I thought it was out but it was me.

I'm clutching at straws with the bleating obvious. It will be interesting to find the answer.

5. My name is Jeff

My name is Jeff Cruisin' Guzzisti

It could be just a tight cable or a bit of friction on the brakes.

6. Tonym

Tonym Tuned and Synch'ed

Assuming you used to go "no hands " on the bike you had before you got the Norge. On the same roads , which way would it drift???.

7. Oz1200Guzzi

Oz1200Guzzi High Miler

Engine spins to the left, torque reaction forces the bike to the right. The bigger the Guzzi engine, the more the effect. Tis normal - Oh best to keep your hands on the bars, methinks...:shake:

Bill Hagan, BDS and john zibell like this.
  8. jcjf

jcjf Just got it firing!

That is one of my first thoughts too....while pushing the bike with the engine off, the front brakes are making a little noise, I wonder if that might be it. Thanks

9. jcjf

jcjf Just got it firing!

This effect occurs with the engine at idle, out of gear at speeds up to 80km. Haven't tried to go no hands any faster...but I am quite sure it happens at all speeds.
    Something is out of balance....just like a car. Let go of the wheel, and it should go straight. I am going to check brakes and cables first. Thanks for your input.

10. jcjf

jcjf Just got it firing!

no drift...does your bike drift?

11. Trout

Trout High Miler

Have seen this on many forums.

On the Victory forum the common solution is to put on different exhaust because the factory set up on the steel frame bikes are very heavy duals on the right side. Many claim after changing out the exhaust the bike tracked true, I'm thinking they needed a reason to put on loud pipes. LOL!

Crowned road will cause drift.
    Non-shaft bikes those with belt or chains can be rear wheel alignment.
    As mentioned a dragging brake, slightly warped rotor. Floating rotors can get "sticky", the buttons need to be cleaned, lubed & freed up.
    Worn tires &/or tire pressure.
    Front end needing service or slightly binding.
    Riding habit & posture.
    Rode behind a guy I didn't know for some miles & noticed he had his left shoulder kind of bunched up & higher than the right.
    We happened to stop for fuel at the same place & I mentioned it to him, he was not aware that he was doing it & said that was probably why his left arm tingled. Nothing to do with drifting just un-conscious behaviour.

In over 50 years of riding I have never had a bike except for my '74 Guzzi 850T that would hold a straight line hands free.
    All of my bikes would drift to the right, not sudden swerve OMG but just drift over.
    I have always compensated with body shifts.
    I have always put it off to being a light weight (125lbs/130 after a good meal) & not having enuf a$$ to hold her down.

In all those years of riding bikes that drifted I have never seen any unusual wear on tires or front ends so my conclusion is that it is somewhat normal.

I don't remember if it was this forum or another but one fellow went to great lengths to correct the problem.
    Took measurements on the front/rear wheel alignment & If I remember completely stripped the bike & had the frame tweaked, rebuilt front end, replaced shocks & tires had rims trued etc..... Not sure if he ever corrected it or not.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  12. jcjf

jcjf Just got it firing!

Really appreciate the response.

13. Raven

Raven Tuned and Synch'ed

I have also noticed that all my bikes, past and present, street and dirt, drift to the right. I have to consciously work at it to stay straight.

14. Oz1200Guzzi

Oz1200Guzzi High Miler

Might just be the weight of the CARC assembly. Mine does it (I checked this morning, just in case it had stopped)

15. My name is Jeff

My name is Jeff Cruisin' Guzzisti

My V7 tracks straight my speed triple pulls to the right a bit but I don't care how often are you riding with both hands off the bars.

16. jcjf

jcjf Just got it firing!

Good to know that many bikes veer. Just comparing the experience to my old mercedes and my KLR....take the hands off the wheel and she'll go dead straight.

17. Nick

Nick Cruisin' Guzzisti

Would the weight of the panniers affect it? I know that I keep all my emergency tools in my left bag and it's considerably heavier than the right one. The bike seems to track straight, but I'll try the "no hands" next time.
    Have you tried in a parking lot?