• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oil grade change post Fuel Kit install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hurk51

Just got it firing!
I am now looking to run a lower viscosity engine oil after the full mods on my V85TT. The shop manual says 10w60 and does not give an ambient temp range for different grades of oil. I can see the 60 as needed with stock fuelling as the engine( and oil) will be running hotter and the 60 would be needed for piston ring seal. But now that the engine will be running cooler a 20w50 or a 10w50 oil should be able to be run without losing lubrication on the rings, possibly seal the rings better by not having to try and scrape heavy oil off the cylinder walls and keep the fuel where it belongs ( in the combustion chamber) and not in your crank case. It may also give a couple of HP increase to the motor. I do not run in ambient temps below 32 ( unless i am caught in a stupid moment) and rarely see about 98- 100 degrees.

For you guys that have done the mods have you seen a need, or tried, a lower viscosity oil? In reality for this plan to work i should really be running some oil testing to see if the 60 allows fuel into the crank case after the mods and if it does switch to a 50 and sample. The more power and better breathing of the engine (plus weight loss from the cat removal) will be great but this mod should also effect the engine oil choice as well.

At this point i am running the Liqui- moly 10w60 and that oil needs to be special ordered in. Finding a 20w50 oil will be easier to source as Amsoil, Lucas, Royal Purple and Motul all carry a 20w50. Castrol 10w50 4T oil even seems easier to get a hold of than a 10w60.

Has anyone done any testing to see how hot the oil actually gets during a ride to be able to need a 60 oil?

Oil threads always crash and burn. So let me end it for you. Run whatever you want provided the rating is correct. Castrol Edge Supercar (10w-60) is recommended for your bike. You won’t go wrong with any brand name synthetic oil. Enjoy.

Just like GTM, I abhor oil threads.

This being said, those people who deviated from the specified oil for the Stelvio NTX, ran into all sorts of problems and issues.

Don’t try to out-think the engineers who designed your motorcycle.

“Run whatever you want provided the rating is correct. ”: +1 👍👌

It’s really not that hard to order in the correct specified oil.

Oil is cheap, engines are expensive. - Scott

I don’t want to keep this thread going too long, but will say that oil temperature of my completely stock 2021 running Motul 10W60 is reasonable in hot temperatures in the desert or cool mountain temperatures. Arizona has a wide ambient temperature range.

Scott says it best: Oil is cheap, engines are expensive!

O'Reilly's stocks 10-60 Castrol. No need to sweat finding exotic brands. Castrol is the factory's specified oil. No need to over think it. I even ran it in my T120 Triumph when I had it. Another thread. If it is good for MG it should be even better for the Triumph. Nothing fancy in that motor.
kk

Lordco has Castrol Edge 10W60 all the time, at least in my small town where ya can't even get some metric bolts. If they don't have something ya need, they get it from main warehouse within 2 days.

Guys, he hasn’t been back since his original post. Drive-by. Don’t waste any more time. This is now locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back