• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oil Leak - v7 II Stone (2016)

Nick Roberts

Just got it firing!
Hi all

First time poster! I've had my v7 II for a year now. Just out of 2 year warranty. 9,000 miles on the clock and serviced at dealer in March at around 7-8k. I use the bike daily for commuting throughout winter so bike is regularly in use.

Just noticed a wet oily patch on the front right of the engine. It appears to align with the seal that runs vertically at that part of the engine (sorry don't know the names of the parts). Also a little bit of oil on the fins on both sides of the engine though not sure those are related. Pics and illustrations attached. Any ideas how serious this is? There doesn't appear to be anything dripping on to the ground. I've also attached a photo of another non-leaky part of the engine just for contrast.

Thanks
Nick

Attachments

• 2012-MotoGuzzi-V7750Engineb-nick.png
    2012-MotoGuzzi-V7750Engineb-nick.png
    245.6 KB · Views: 91
  • 20180618_202231.jpg
    20180618_202231.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 20180618_202245.jpg
    20180618_202245.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 20180618_202315.jpg
    20180618_202315.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 20180618_202323.jpg
    20180618_202323.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 20180618_202358.jpg
    20180618_202358.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 94
  • 20180618_202437.jpg
    20180618_202437.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 103
Hi and welcome this is not uncommon , it looks to me from the pics that the leak is from where the cables for the alternator go through the front cover. You may have to remove the front cover(which contains oil)and maybe replace the rubber grommet which is around the cables or just try sealant between the grommet and crankcase. Steve.

Thanks for the reply Steve. From what I can remember, there was a cable sticking out the top around that part of the engine but don't think the oil appeared to be originating from there. Will definitely check it again tomorrow to see if you're right. Couldn't quite get it in the photo due to tight angle. From what I remember the oil leak patch seems to stop at the top bolt of the front cover. The cover isn't leaking on the left side. I wonder if it could be instead that the bolts just need tightening on the right hand side? Or is there an internal rubber gasket between the front cover and the rest of the engine that might be broken?

Hang on !
I had a similar problem when my Breva 750 just had its first service.
It was something to do, with a kinked breather. I know ! its a pain !
However, take the trouble to remove the tank, mebbe siphon off most o the gas first.
Once the tank is off, it lets you see, and access everything, and, if, like my brand new ( At the time ) Breva 750
you have a kinked breather, it allows you to sort it.
Do not start tightening bolts, until you have the tank off, and the valve covers, at the top o the cylinders.
Some leaks, are only due to the gasket on the valve covers, being improperly placed.
Fingers crossed
Good Luck

SEARCH and reading is your best friend here as there are many oil leak posts with information.

Also, look at a posters info and dates. This guy has been MIA for over 2 years and the Original poster even longer.

578DD68C EDDA 42E4 A143 716109AFB56D

721D8D0E 8BA1 4A83 9B3A 0F3C2AF3CC05

MIA, haha (ref to the post above). Back from the dead...!

No this never got sorted out and it comes and goes. And a couple of other leaks have sprung up over the years of owning this bike. The most persistent being on the gaskets (both sides of the bike). But its only ever very small quantities of oil so I just make sure to check the levels regularly. The levels have never got low and the oil light has never come on so... I think its been overfilled with oil in the past which has messed with the rubber seals. I've never changed the oil myself, always at the guzzi dealers. But whenever the bike comes back from them after an annual service, the dipstick levels are off the charts.

Back