• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Oil light on at start up but not always, eminent f

radguzzi

Cruisin' Guzzisti
GT Contributor
The oil light on the Norge will come on with the Bizarre Italian Video Game light show that happens when the ignition key is turned on and stay on but not every time. :(

If the m/c has been on the side stand and teh light comes on and stays on then I do not start it but just put it up on the center stand, turn the key to off and wait a few seconds, goes out, then I start it.
This AM, heading for work, Norge on the center stand this happened. Turned the key off, back on and no light.

The oil level is fine, I keep it between the marks on the stick, no leaks.

Am I flirting with certain failure here...? Why is this doing this...?

Bill Hagan: You had a pump failure... Did this take place prior for you...?

This is beginning to really concern me. :eek:hmy:

Any advise here...?

Late 2007 Edition, 16K miles...

Thanks,
Rob

Ooops, I don't know... I'll take a look later. I do know that the "Wrench" has been on there for some time. I know it is for the service that I did a bit back, not the dealer and I just do not know how to clear it.:dry:

Thanks,
rd

easy enough to clear the wrench.. well sort of.
get to the point where you can punch in your service code for the Norge, 28315.
then one of the options is to clear the service reminder... easy-peasy.

I always leave my bike on the centre stand, no oil light on for me yet, but I am 10-K miles behind you.

If you get an error 07, then your pressure sender is at fault. That's rather likely to be the case. A 08 error would be more serious.

From what I hear, one can also get some sort of filler symbol on the computer screen.

And apparently, the way to get the engine to start without annoyance once you do get the red light: turn the ignition off, turn it back on, and press the starter button immediately, holding it until the engine starts. Which, apparently, it will do invariably if it's just the sender that's at fault.

Rob-

I have an early 07 and have similar observations. If I park on side stand and oil level is not filled to top mark (as measured when parked on center stand), I will get a brief oil level warning. It goes away as soon as I stand the bike up to ride. Only get this condition if oil is > 100ml below top of range on dipstick. I haven't been concerned about pump performance...so far!?

I've had to change the oil pressure switch on every guzzi i've owned, its an easy job, and 9 out of ten times thats all it is.
I wouldn't worry too much about pump failure.
Its just more noticable on these "new" guzzi's because we are all paranoid that the computer and electrics are going to fall apart :laugh:

radguzzi wrote:
The oil light on the Norge will come on with the Bizarre Italian Video Game light show that happens when the ignition key is turned on and stay on but not every time. :(

Bill Hagan: You had a pump failure... Did this take place prior for you...?

Rob

Howdy,

Lordy, this brings back bad memories. :woohoo: On the bright side, no, Rob, that was not what I experienced, i.e., I do not recall it ever staying on. Frequent light on start, but disappeared quickly.
My experiemce was more like Zipster reports ...

Zipster wrote:
Rob-

I have an early 07 and have similar observations. If I park on side stand and oil level is not filled to top mark (as measured when parked on center stand), I will get a brief oil level warning. It goes away as soon as I stand the bike up to ride. Only get this condition if oil is > 100ml below top of range on dipstick. I haven't been concerned about pump performance...so far!?

Suspect yours is the sending unit. Checking error codes should help narrow the issue, tho I generally mucked that up, too, so my "data" there isn't of much help.

FWIW, despite the pain of that episode, oh my, the Norge run like a [fill in the blank with anything fast that pleases you :lol: ] now.

Riding her to Virginia day after tomorrow. Yes, Virginia again, rather soon, but this time you can open my slideshow without fear. Heading to the Virginia Guzzi Rally, not grandbabies. :p

Best wishes.

Bill

Re:Oil light on at start up but not always, eminen

I have the same thing happening with my Norge. The oil light will come on for a couple of start ups then it won't come on for some time and then it will appear again out of the blue. I think the sending unit is junk. Bike has 18,000 miles on it and still runs great. Have cleared the codes and it still happens. I pretty much ignore it.

My '07 has 7000 miles and this has also been happening to me on a regular basis. It seems to happen more when the bike has sat for a few days. Sometimes, I have to start and stop the bike two or three times. The oil level is always correct and the bike runs well.

Re:Oil light on at start up but not always

I had my Norge serviced yesterday at Moto International in Seattle. I told Micha, the service manager, about my intermittent oil light problem. It just so happened that yesterday morning it took me 20 minutes to get the light to go off. When I picked up the bike, Micha told me that they found the problem. Apparently, the previous owner got an after-market oil filter on his last service. According to Micha, the correct oil filter has a high pressure bypass. The unit on my bike neither fit correctly nor worked correctly since it was not the correct OEM part. I know the previous owner did not do his own service work so somewhere in northern California is a Moto Guzzi dealer that is using after-market parts, And this service was performed as part of the initial 1000 mile warranty service. Smooth move!

I'm trying to work out how the lack of a high pressure bypass would keep the oil light on. All that bypass is there for is to allow oil to continue circulating if the filter gets blocked surely.

Well, maybe the filter got sufficiently clogged to limit flow starting a cold engine, which would otherwise have been remedied by the bypass?

I have approximately 32000 km's on my Norge, and have
  • never
seen the oil pressure light on at startup, in the cold or heat. it does work because it was on yesterday after my oil change.

I would also suggest changing the final drive oil after riding through heavy rain. I happened to change my oil the day after riding through a heavy downpour about an hour, and it was quite milky. It must have been contaminated through the breather.

Cheers

Hello;

The Tech at Nationals also indicated that the WRONG oil will cause the oil light to go on. Apparently it is sensitive enough so that something other than spec oil does not give either enough or too much pressure.

There was one person there with the intermittent oil light problem.. His dealer had replaced the sensor and it did not solve the problem. He was using 20/50 valvoline, swore it was the best oil he ever used. Tech was adamant that this was the wrong oil and that only the factory spec should be used.

Another TIP:

For all the Breva, Norge, Griso, etc with the external oil filter.. .A filter that fits the Toyota 4.7L V8 engine will also fit the Guzzi. In fact the Factory now supplys an OEM version (the black filter) It has a deeper throat and threads that will solve the leaking problem the UNI filter exhibits. Also.. His recommendation is to TORQUE the filter on to 15 FtLBS..

This is now what service techs are being taught at Guzzi school.

I've had this fault for quite a while now. Its not concerned me much because I'm certain that I've got a sensor fault as indicated by the 07 error code. I've found that if you give the bike a good thrash for ten minutes then stop and restart the engine the fault will clear. So perhaps the sensor is simply a bit sticky and needs the oil presssure to become quite high in order to unstick it self.
This started about two years ago but has only become a persistant problem this summer, so I've now got a new sensor which only cost £6.50. I've just got to find the time to get it fitted.

sbaker wrote:
Hello;

The Tech at Nationals also indicated that the WRONG oil will cause the oil light to go on. Apparently it is sensitive enough so that something other than spec oil does not give either enough or too much pressure.

There was one person there with the intermittent oil light problem.. His dealer had replaced the sensor and it did not solve the problem. He was using 20/50 valvoline, swore it was the best oil he ever used. Tech was adamant that this was the wrong oil and that only the factory spec should be used.

Another TIP:

For all the Breva, Norge, Griso, etc with the external oil filter.. .A filter that fits the Toyota 4.7L V8 engine will also fit the Guzzi. In fact the Factory now supplys an OEM version (the black filter) It has a deeper throat and threads that will solve the leaking problem the UNI filter exhibits. Also.. His recommendation is to TORQUE the filter on to 15 FtLBS..

interesting!

does the filter have the same flow rate?

sbaker wrote:
Hello;

Another TIP:

Sam; Would you mind if I posted this over at the Wild Guzzi forum ?

If the proper OEM filter is a UFI 2328700, then i would have to say that the filter is not the reason that the oil light comes on sporadically at start up. I have used nothing but the UFI filters and my oil light will come on and then after a couple of restarts it will not come on. I think the sending unit is the culprit.

ncassidy wrote:
If the proper OEM filter is a UFI 2328700, then i would have to say that the filter is not the reason that the oil light comes on sporadically at start up. I have used nothing but the UFI filters and my oil light will come on and then after a couple of restarts it will not come on. I think the sending unit is the culprit.

Noel; May sound dumb, but I have had my Norge for 2 years now and have never seen the "oil" light, where is it ?, I suppose I could take the lead off the sender to find out if I get ambitious enough.

Back