• Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if you need help. New to the forum? For all new members, we require ONE post in the Introductions section at the bottom, in order to post in most of the other sections. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have, have likely been already answered. DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back in and reply within 24 hours, or your post will be deleted. Note there's decades of heavily experienced Guzzi professionals on this site, all whom happily give endless amounts of their VALUABLE time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL!
  • There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to PRODUCT(S) or other competing website(s), including personal pages, social media or other Forums. This ALSO INCLUDES ECU DIAGnostic software, questions and mapping. We work very hard to offer commercially supported products and to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. We don't have the time to chase repeat (and ignorant) offenders. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see the GTM STORE link above; ALL product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.
  • Be sure to see the GTM STORE link also above for our 700+ product inventory, including OEM parts and many of our 100% Made-in-SoCal-USA GTM products and engine kits. In SoCal? Click the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work, and don't miss our GT MotoCycles® (not) art on the BUILDS tab above. WE'RE HERE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED - DO NOT EMAIL AND ASK QUESTIONS OR ASK TO CALL YOU.
  • Like the new V100, GuzziTech is full throttle into the future! We're now running on an all-new server and we've updated our Forum software. The visual differences are obvious, but hopefully you'll notice the super-fast speed. If you notice any glitches or have any issues, please post on the Site Support section at the bottom. If you haven't yet, please upgrade your account which is covered in the Site Support section or via the DONATE tab above, which gives you full site access including the DOWNLOADS section. We really appreciate every $ and your support to keep this site ad-free. Create an account, sign in, upgrade your account, and enjoy. See you on the road in 2024.

Owners manual can be misleading

Bobbygothisguzzi

Just got it firing!
I just finished changing the fluids on my 2008 Breva 1200. The manual reads the the engine oil capacity with a filter change is 3600cc (about 121 fluid ounces.). However, to play it safe I put in just 112 oz. and it was way too much oil (over full). I drained a half quart and it was fine. Gear box oil capacity in the manual is 500cc (about 16 fluid oz.). I put in 500cc and no oil was visible at the fill port. I had to add about another 125cc before oil appeared at the opening. Transmission (shaft drive) oil capacity in the manual is listed at 380cc. However, 300cc filled it up. Strange. I assumed the owners manual would have the correct information. Any of you other folks experience this?

Yeah, three litres is plenty, with the oil filter change. Appreciate that gearbox and bevel drive can differ too. If you spin the rear wheel when filling you will find there is surprisingly more capacity to accept more oil.

But the specifications are nominal at best. You will soon learn what your bike needs.

Yeah, three litres is plenty, with the oil filter change. Appreciate that gearbox and bevel drive can differ too. If you spin the rear wheel when filling you will find there is surprisingly more capacity to accept more oil.

But the specifications are nominal at best. You will soon learn what your bike needs.
Thank you. I appreciate it.

Since we're talking about capacity and the specs in the owner's manual - Does anyone know the real and true capacity of the fuel tank on a 2008 Norge? Is it really 6 gallons/23 liter like the manual says? With the gauge on empty I've never put in more than about 5 gallons.

Seems to be the right numbers (23 litres) - I have a Sport and it seems right (same tank). I have never put in more than 21 litres, which is good because I would hate to push it any further than a few metres.

Specs and capacities in any written documentation from Moto Guzzi, are guidelines only (within reason). They were probably correct at some point in time, depending on which version you have - however it is important to remember that marketers (yes, them...) are playing a game in the market place (and not just at Piaggio/Moto Guzzi - they all do it) where they are trying to get the marginal buyer to buy from the spec sheets - it just is.

Interestingly, the weight of my Sport has a variance of around 23 kg, depending on version and source. I like to think it is trim (like me) at around 227 kg. However the 250 kg mentioned elsewhere may also be correct, with a full tank of fuel. when I put this fat arse on it and all my travelling/camping gear, it must be approaching a moving mass of around 400+ kg - certainly feels heavy and doesn't flick easily.

I once put 22.5 litres in, so I reckon 23 is about right. It was was a nerve racking last few km's in the middle of nowhere, I can assure you. If any of the locals know it, the road into Malacoota here in Vic. Nice and twisty, but nothing but bush and a long walk if I'd run out.

Robert

I once put 22.5 litres in, so I reckon 23 is about right. It was was a nerve racking last few km's in the middle of nowhere, I can assure you. If any of the locals know it, the road into Malacoota here in Vic. Nice and twisty, but nothing but bush and a long walk if I'd run out.

Robert
Thanks folks. You have been helpful. Obviously, some of you have experienced the same issue.

I have rarely managed to get more than 20 litres in, but I put it down to not knowing how much is left in the tank when the light comes on, and not filling to the actual brim. The manual figure will be the theoretical one.

I'm thinking my sending unit is off. On a recent trip I put in 5.2 gallons US (19.7 L) and no low fuel light. It should have come on with 4 liters left.

No pic of the road in, but here's Mallacoota when the Chief and I rode in in 2013:

2013-03-21-10-44-17.jpg

I'm thinking my sending unit is off. On a recent trip I put in 5.2 gallons US (19.7 L) and no low fuel light. It should have come on with 4 liters left.
What triggers the reserve light? Is it just when the level sensor reaches some threshold or is there a separate sensor for the light?

Back